1st Trimester

Severe cramps

I am getting severe abdominal cramps that come and go randomly at different times of the day and are pretty severe to the point of making me feel dizzy and/or nauseous. I don't think its gas or constipation since I've been pretty regular (sorry TMI) since conceiving and eating really healthy. The cramps were there at week 4 but now into week 5 and getting closer to week 6 they are worse (an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10) and last longer (5-10 minutes). I haven't seen any blood or anything, just curious if it was happening to anyone else and if normal?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Severe cramps

• I had two episodes of this earlier on (5w4d ish and about a week after that). I was curled up and writhing in pain for a good 10min and then it eventually passed. The second episode did result in some bright red bleeding so I had an ultrasound that found a large subchorionic hemorrhage. I'd recommend calling your doc if the pain is an 8/10, they may be unconcerned but I always figure it's better safe than sorry!
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had a couple episodes of decently painful cramping. Seemed to be every 2 weeks. It can be normal, but I might not be. Have you had an ultrasound yet to be sure it's not ectopic? If it's that bad, it check with the doc because they may want to double check to be sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • Its not a constant pain and its only happened twice, in two days, and doesn't last all day or anything just 5-10 minutes. I haven't had my first appointment yet since its too early, my first ultrasound is in 2 1/2 weeks. I don't want to freak out and will mention it to my doctor Monday (closed now for the weekend) but is there reason to try to get in to the doctor earlier since I don't have bleeding? Is that pretty much always seen with an ectopic? 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • If it comes and goes that quickly, it doesn't sound like ectopic to me. Obviously if it worsens or is accompanied by bleeding you should probably get checked out. What you're describing sounds pretty similar to what I experienced though, and everything was okay in my case. 
  • I had some pretty bad cramping on and off between 4 and 6 weeks and it freaked me out too.  Everything was fine (I'm 26 weeks now and haven't had any cramping since about 6 weeks), it just was my uterus adjusting to having to do something totally new.  
  • Cramping is fairly normal during pregnancy as your uterus and joints are being stretched. If it is a persistent pain that worsens or doesn't go away, then definitely see a doctor right away. If it is only touch and go, the cramping sounds like normal pregnancy cramps. 
  • babymamamegsbabymamamegs member
    edited March 2016
    Check your temperature often, make sure you don't have a fever. I think cramps like that are normal. Just make sure to tell your dr! Maybe they can get you in to check