March 2016 Moms

Baby's Weight

At my 37 week appointment, Doctor 1 estimated (via feeling the belly) that the baby was about 5.5-6lbs.  Today at my 38 week appointment, Doctor 2 (via feeling the belly) estimated 8-8.5lbs. While I know the baby puts on the majority of its weight at the end, that seems like a big jump to me. 

Anyone have a similar experience? It seems kind of subjective to me. 
DS - 09/11/09
DD - 03/16/12
Baby#3 - 03/31/16

Re: Baby's Weight

• Super subjective and no way to base it with real medicine
  • Estimate is the key word there- they are literally guessing. There is NO way to tell based on feeling your stomach how big the baby truly is. The baby was likely in a different position, doctors have different opinions, there are so many variables at play. 
  • Loading the player...
  • 34-36 weeks my doctor was estimating a big baby. 37 weeks 3 days he was born weighing 6 lbs 4 oz, not what I would call a big baby. Ultrasounds can be more accurate, but still have large margins of error.
  • A week before I gave birth mine was estimated to be 8+ lbs, when I had her 6 days later she was 7 lbs 4 oz. Don't put too much stock in those estimations.
  • Yeah, by "feel" my OB said I was going to have a smaller baby. By u/s they estimated 9+lbs at term. He was born at 39w+6 and he was 9lbs 7oz. So "feeling" the belly is really about as accurate as taking a wild guess.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was told my first was going to be 9+ lbs and came the  before my due date at 7lbs 7oz. They said the same for my second and he was 8lbs 15oz two days late. There is no way to be sure, so I wouldn't worry about it at all☺