November 2015 Moms

Hair, hair everywhere

Am I the only one shedding like a dog?! My hair is falling out in clumps. I am so paranoid about a strand getting wrapped around LOs finger or toe. Especially since she's taken to pulling on my hair while nursing (fun for everyone). I have just been wearing it up every day but I'm thinking of getting it cut short. Anyone else having his problem or cut their hair to minimize shedding? 

Re: Hair, hair everywhere

• I'm in the exact same boat!! LO pulls my hair like its a game, and it's falling out in chunks. I'm so worried about getting a hair wrapped around his penis during a diaper change or around his toes while he "walks." (He loves to stand and move his feet). I'm really tired of wearing my hair up but I haven't found a short hair style that works for me...
  • Totally in the same boat! I've always been a shedder but pregnancy and post-partum have been insane! I'm also worried about it getting wrapped around fingers, toes and his penis...I check every single diaper change (I've found hair in there luckily I caught it before it wrapped around!). I always wear my hair up but it's getting frustrating and frankly wearing it up all the time (except when sleeping) can be a bit painful. I don't think I look good with short hair but I'm going to the hair dressers next week and am just gonna go for it because this long hair everywhere is getting to be too much...seriously I can't even run my fingers through my hair without a clump coming out! My DH used to give me the best scalp massages and now I'm like nope don't touch! Oh and LO has also started pulling...ahh the joys of motherhood
  • Loading the player...
  • idk if there's any truth to this but i heard if your hair gets fuller/thicker during pregnancy that's what you lose post partum. Hormones and such. My hair was so pretty and full while pregnant and now it's falling out when I wash my hair... Especially when rinsing out conditioner. 
    I got a hair cut and balayage a week ago. I asked my hair stylist to check my head for bald spots! Lol. Thankfully she didn't find any. 
    I have also noticed that when I wear my hair in a bun I have way more hair coming out when I take it down. I've been trying to wear my hair down more but it's hard since LO likes to grab it with all his strength. 
  • I'm shedding like crazy. I'm talking huge clumps. One hair managed to get wrapped around two of baby's little toes :( it was awful. It won't let me post a picture for some reason but there were rings about both toes for about two days. I've worn my hair up ever since. I had decided it would be better off to leave my hair long and wear it up, but sometimes I forget so I think I'll be cutting mine short this weekend.
  • Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one!! Mine is coming out everywhere! I wear it up all day except for at night but I hate having to do that. And short hair and I do not look good together! When will the shedding end!?
  • All the yes with this one. My hair is fire truck red too right now. It still runs so it's dyed my counters and floors and bath tub and pillow cases and every where else I'm shedding 
  • I lose so much hair mostly in the shower but even if I just run my hand through quick i have at least 5 pieces come out..I always find them all over her
  • kmd91kmd91 member
    I'm shedding like crazy and always pulling hairs off my little guy. It wouldn't bother me that much, really, if it weren't for the fact that at least twice a day my husband dramatically pulls my hairs off of himself. I'm sorry dear, I'll be sure to tell my scalp to hold onto them better. 
  • @brianna91chavez yes, it's hormones.

Hair follicles have a natural growth - rest - shed cycle.  When you're pregnant, the shed part stops temporarily for some reason, then begins again after the pregnancy hormones are all gone.  So it seems like you're loosing tons of hair, when really it's the normal amount you would've lost during that 9 months.

Never going short, I did once in high school and it looks terrible on me.  My hair brushes the top of my butt, and I had what the long hair community calls 'fairy tail ends', where your hair reaches terminal length and softly fizzles out at the ends.  Now it's looking less like a soft fizzle and more like scraggly damage (only just now getting back into my hair care routine).  I'll probably get enough of a trim to clean up the ends.
  • It's totally normal and just another change in your hormones. It typically starts around 4 months postpartum and will last a couple of months. 
    I don't shed any hair while pregnant and it all comes out at 4 months pp. Good times! And yet another thing they don't warn us about ;)
  • I am seriously shedding. It is driving me nuts! I am constantly pulling hairs off of everything!
  • Omg you are definitely not the only one !! Shedding like crazy too ! Can't wait until it slows down . Also , I cut my hair short with my first baby; it takes more effort and longer to style I found.  
  • I feel like I am balding, not shedding. After detangling my hair every time I shower ...without exception...EVERY time I shower it looks like there is a dead small mammal in the corner where I shove all the hair. Its been going on for weeks and I have no clue how I have not developed bald spots. I actually check for them. I hope this lets up soon. =(
  • I thought it happened right afterbirth but nope week 15 and it's hair everywhere in my house.
  • Almost 16 weeks PP and every time I wash my hair, it just runs down the back of my legs. And then more after conditioner, and still more after blow drying. 
    Me: 28 DBF: 30
    BFP#1 07/10/14 EDD 3/14/15 Diagnosed with Blighted Ovum 08/18/14
    BFP#2  3/17/15 EDD 11/22/15
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I run my fingers through my hair and clumps still come out. I practically flood my shower there is so much that comes out when I wash it! I have always had thick hair and would shed a bit anyways, but this is getting ridiculous! Sorry you ladies are going through it too, but I'm glad I'm not the only one!
  • MoRay05 said:
    For those of you thinking of cutting your hair short I would REALLY think about it! I also thought it would be a great idea after I had my first LO. I regretted it! Short hair takes longer to style and is harder to throw up in a ponytail. I always had pieces falling down in my face. And it doesn't really matter what length your hair is LO will figure out a way to pull it
    Yup. I was tired of having it up 24/7 (we were co-sleeping), so I chopped it. Not only do I hate it, but LO still pulls on it all the time. My scalp feels better not having it pulled in a ponytail all the time, but that's the only benefit. I bought myself some new beanies... 
  • It's everywhere. I only ever brush my hair after a shower (it's curly) and the amount that comes out is just.... Ridiculous. It looks like a decent sized mammal. Sigh. 
  • Same here.  I miss how beautiful my hair looked when I was pregnant.  Now, it falls in clumps.  I have found it all over the house, on DH, on LO and even inside his diapers.  I cannot wait for it to stop! 
  • Jtk13Jtk13 member
    I've thought about going around the house with a roll of duct tape to see how much I can pick up! 
  • I don't mine the PP hair loss I have A LOT of hair. I just mine it being everywhere. I can't lay LO down anywhere without pick hair off of her when I pick her up. Don't even get my started about the bathroom