Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Shingles...out this month?

Hi ladies! I just got diagnosed with the dreaded shingles. I started on an antiviral. I'm just over my period, and I think I will be cleared up by the time I ovulate. I intend to ask my doc this, but has anyone been in this situation? Should I wait out this month to ttc or no? Thanks!! :smile: 

Re: Shingles...out this month?

• Options
    I think this sounds like an excellent question for your doctor.  
    About me:
    TTC#1: October 2015
    dx: PCOS & MFI
    IUI #1 w/Femara + Ovidrel June 2016 ~ BFP
    July 2016: Blighted Ovum
    IUI #2 w/Femara + Ovidrel September 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #3 w/Femara + Ovidrel October 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #4 w/Femara + Ovidrel November 2016 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI January 2017 ~BFN
    FET February 2017 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI March 2017 ~BFP--Twins Due 12/8/17
    Team Blue X 2!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You need to ask a healthcare professional...aka how long it takes the meds to get out of our system, how long for shingles to go away and if there is any reason you shouldn't attempt. Serious stuff call doctor.
  • Options
    I wouldn't risk it. You will want to contact your doctor ASAP. Not only are you putting yourself at risk, but your also putting your partner at risk and any potential children.
  • Options
    MamaCoffinMamaCoffin member
    edited March 2016
    Don't even bother your Dr with a phone call. I'm honestly shocked you'd even consider it. Just wait until you're completely clear. I get you don't want to wait.. I don't either.... But this is so not worth the risk. 

"Shingles is contagious from the onset of symptoms until the rash and blisters have crusted dry. You can still go out in public or to work, but you should avoid being around pregnant women.

The herpes-zoster virus, which causes shingles and the chickenpox, can cause serious health risks in both pregnant women and their babies. Risks include pneumonia and birth defects. If you realize that you unknowingly exposed yourself to a pregnant woman, notify her immediately so that she can contact her OB/GYN for recommendations."

Mama to two perfect little girls.
    Lucy 07-13-11
    Violet 03-13-14
    Conceived #3 since September 2015
    11-25-15 twelve week loss
    07-21-16 ten week loss
    10-03-16 5 week loss
    TTC again soon!
  • Options
    ladystinsonladystinson member
    edited March 2016
    I have shingles too. I'm finishing the antiviral today. Shingles is not contagious, but if someone hasn't had chickenpox or the vaccine then they can catch chickenpox from touching your legions. You're only on the antivirals for 7 days and after 2-3 you're no longer contagious. I'm in the TWW as of this weekend and nothing has caused alarm when discussed. 

Basically the attitude that I was given was along the lines of drink til its pink. I'm not turning a positive HPT so I'm not pregnant and I don't need to act like I am. Also, I had a coworker who got pregnant the same time as me (with DS) and she has genital herpes and is on a valtrex (which is what they use to treat shingles also) regimen. There wasn't too much concern over this short of delivery because genital herpes can cause blindness in new borns so she had a c/s. You're not going to be on the antivirals the whole time and they will control the virus (which is ALWAYS in your body after you've had chickenpox) long before you O if you just finished your period.

Of course, talk to your dr. But that's my two cents on the matter, as one shingles patient to another.

Edit: spelling
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11
    Angel Baby 3 6/28/11                                                         9/5/17 BFP!!
    divorced October 2014                                                       9/6/17 hCG 88 progesterone 9.1 (prometrium started)
    Married DH 10/15     DH's DS born 6/09                            9/8/17 hCG 242!!!
    Not preventing since 11/15                                                 EDD 5/8/18        Adjusted 5/15/18
    TTC since 1/1/16                                                                9/27/17 we have a heart beat!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy TrackerBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My mom had shingles when she was pregnant with me, and from what I've heard from her it put her in the high risk category and things we're pretty touch and go for a while. Also, she almost went blind so...
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married: 04/05/15
    TTC since: 02/16/16

• Options
    I have shingles too. I'm finishing the antiviral today. Shingles is not contagious, but if someone hasn't had chickenpox or the vaccine then they can catch chickenpox from touching your legions. You're only on the antivirals for 7 days and after 2-3 you're no longer contagious. I'm in the TWW as of this weekend and nothing has caused alarm when discussed. 

Basically the attitude that I was given was along the lines of drink til its pink. I'm not turning a positive HPT so I'm not pregnant and I don't need to act like I am. Also, I had a coworker who got pregnant the same time as me (with DS) and she has genital herpes and is on a valtrex (which is what they use to treat shingles also) regimen. There wasn't too much concern over this short of delivery because genital herpes can cause blindness in new borns so she had a c/s. You're not going to be on the antivirals the whole time and they will control the virus (which is ALWAYS in your body after you've had chickenpox) long before you O if you just finished your period.

Of course, talk to your dr. But that's my two cents on the matter, as one shingles patient to another.

Contradiction much?

Lucy 07-13-11
    Violet 03-13-14
    07-21-16 ten week loss
    10-03-16 5 week loss
    TTC again soon!
  • Options
    I get what people are saying about dealing with shingles while you ARE pregnant, but its gone in 2 weeks. Also, much more easily treated now that it probably was when our mothers were TTC. Of course coming down with it WHILE pregnant would be bad. There are lots of things that are. But also, shingles isnt something that you can avoid other than not getting stressed because it kinda happens when it happens. 

I didn't really make it clear in my first post, no I did not wait. Now, I did think that I would O today (CD17) since my temps looked like last month, even though my chart looks like it was really on 3/12 (CD14) so I figured I'd O the day I finished the meds but I'm currently waiting for AF to show or let me test in about 10 days. Since you asked what anyone in the same situation was doing.
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11
    Angel Baby 3 6/28/11                                                         9/5/17 BFP!!
    divorced October 2014                                                       9/6/17 hCG 88 progesterone 9.1 (prometrium started)
    Married DH 10/15     DH's DS born 6/09                            9/8/17 hCG 242!!!
    Not preventing since 11/15                                                 EDD 5/8/18        Adjusted 5/15/18
    TTC since 1/1/16                                                                9/27/17 we have a heart beat!

• Options

Contradiction much?
    Shingles themselves are not contagious. That was a statement in reference to your post. My apologies for not making that clear. It is still possible to spread chickenpox for 2-3 days after starting the antivirals. 

So confusing, yes. I'm at work and quick bumping. But a contradiction, no. It just didnt fully explain my point.
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11

• Options
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11

• Options
    My DH had shingles a few months ago.  As long as your husband has already had chickenpox or has had the chickenpox vaccine, he should be safe from contracting it.  That being said, I guess you could TTC but from what I understand, the pain from it would probably prevent you from doing so.  If it normally takes you a while to O like 3 weeks+, then maybe you'll be in the clear by then.  

If it were me, I would probably skip this cycle and let my body rest as much as possible. 

I hope you feel better soon!!
    Together 2007 | Married 2011 | Me: 36 | DH: 38
    Adopted Furbaby: 2014
    TTC#1 : 1/2016 | IUI #2 - BFP 12/24/16 -- born 9/8/17
    TTC#2: 11/2019 | Dx DOR (AMH 0.3), AMA
    IUI #2 - BFP 7/1/20 -- EDD 3/14/21
  • Options
    @dutchie28 I hope you're feeling ok and not in too much pain. I was lucky and caught mine with 1 spot and about 4 more were just starting to surface so I only had a few twinges, nothing that made me have to stop what I was doing. Since mine is on my back at waist height, I got one of the huge 3x5 band aids to keep my clothes from rubbing and irritating it since I didnt want to scratch. That way I didnt scratch it open in my sleep either. Good luck and I hope yours clears up quickly!
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11

• Options
    Don't even bother your Dr with a phone call. I'm honestly shocked you'd even consider it. Just wait until you're completely clear. I get you don't want to wait.. I don't either.... But this is so not worth the risk. 

"Shingles is contagious from the onset of symptoms until the rash and blisters have crusted dry. You can still go out in public or to work, but you should avoid being around pregnant women.

The herpes-zoster virus, which causes shingles and the chickenpox, can cause serious health risks in both pregnant women and their babies. Risks include pneumonia and birth defects. If you realize that you unknowingly exposed yourself to a pregnant woman, notify her immediately so that she can contact her OB/GYN for recommendations."

Isn't it part of the doctor's job to answer questions patients have about their medical conditions? If your doctor is being "bothered" by questions from their patients, I would get a new doctor.
    I realize that read that way now. I was trying say don't even bother the Dr.... Because I can't believe you'd even consider trying to get pregnant with shingles. I think it's completely careless.

But that's why I'm doing me and you're doing you. 

Lucy 07-13-11
    Violet 03-13-14
    07-21-16 ten week loss
    10-03-16 5 week loss
    TTC again soon!
  • Options
    Total anecdotal story but a good friend had shingles for 5 WEEKS! Even after taking the antiviral. Knowing how long it can last would make me NOT want to try until it was cleared up. 
  • Options
    @HeartMama2013 thats awful! poor thing... I got super lucky with mine, I feel so bad for those who suffer with it though
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11

• Options
    You can deal with side effect and pain from shingles for weeks to months after finishing you ant vitals. I have seen a lot of people in the hospital have to go on long term pain management for the nerve pain. Besides that, you have to worry about fever, etc. Personally I would not risk it. Shingles infects your nerves, the neural tube is formed within the first several weeks of pregnancy. To me that just seems scary. 
  • Options
    You can deal with side effect and pain from shingles for weeks to months after finishing you ant vitals. I have seen a lot of people in the hospital have to go on long term pain management for the nerve pain. Besides that, you have to worry about fever, etc. Personally I would not risk it. Shingles infects your nerves, the neural tube is formed within the first several weeks of pregnancy. To me that just seems scary. 
    I know what you're saying but "ant vitals" made me laugh.

OP I'm pretty sure you should not get pregnant while having shingles but you should talk with your doctor about how long you need to wait before trying again.
  • Options
    @penelope4612 that's what I get for trying to comment from my phone! Apparently , Samsung doesn't recognize "anti-virals" as an actual word.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I asked my doctor. I actually started getting shingles on the day I started my period so my doctor was totally fine with me ttc this month since I would be off meds by the time I was fertile. I caught it early (had it on my scalp and was pretty much a constant 24/7 stabbing migraine). I am going to wait this month just to make sure I am 100% better though.