May 2016 Moms
Options

First Father's Day

STMs & beyond, did you do anything special for your SO for his first Father's Day?  I wanted to try and think of something for my husband now before PP sleep deprivation sets in.  What would be a good gift to commemorate the first one?? 

Re: First Father's Day

• Options
    I usually give him a nice card and we go out to eat at his favorite restaurant or I make his favorite dinner.  I might get him something small.

Now that the kids are older, I ask them to make him a card and pick out a small gift too.
  • Options
    I was thinking about this too... I think I'd love to do something special for him with baby's foot and handprints but not sure what. Maybe a double frame with a photo of him and baby and baby's foot and handprints? Following for other ideas.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I found a picture frame that said "first Father's Day" and put a picture of him holding DD. I also got him a "manly" diaper bag that he could organize the way he wanted to. This year I plan on a card, making his favorite meal, and maybe some tools. That's what my mom did for my dad growing up.
    Met: 11/2/2004
    Dating: 3/24/2005
    Married: 11/5/2011
    Eleanor Leeann: 5/14/2015
    Baby # 2 Due: 5/17/2016
  • Options
    I actually made a clay imprint of my son's feet that MH could use as a paperweight. I painted it and inscribed the date and "I Love You Daddy!" I also got him a super cute picture frame for the house with a collage of pictures of the two of them that I wrote "A Father is his Son's First Superhero!" on it (the picture in the middle was MH and son in matching Batman t-shirts!). We made a card together with my son's hand prints on it and I made him a very special dinner (bacon wrapped fillet mignon) for him to grill with new grill tools. I fear I set the bar too high, but last year he insisted on going to LegoLand and we had a blast. He loved watching our son play and then we went out to dinner and ice cream. We will see how this year goes with an infant, but I will probably get the same sort of keepsake items from the baby as well as something from both Renzo and Luna. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I took pictures with DD (she was around 7 months old) holding papers that said "I" "LOVE" "DADDY" in a 3 slot frame. It was fun getting her to sit still, pose, not tear/eat the paper lol but they turned out rather cute i'd say :) Of course he got other actual gifts too, but this was the most thoughtful he said :):) 
  • Options
    DD#1 is DH's stepdaughter so we've celebrated before. This year I wasn't going to do anything baby related, but maybe I should look into that. But we'll bbq and make his favorite meal. For a gift, I thought I'd get tickets to a Dodger game for him and DD#1. 
  • Options
    I always get mine 1 (small) sentimental gift (photo, note from child, etc) and then something he also actually wants (tools, camera gear, etc) because really, how many handprint/feetprint/cutesy photos can a guy find a place for? Especially now that my son is in preschool and we get stuff like this several times a year. 
  • Options
    One more option (thanks Etsy)
    Put baby girl in a Happy Fathers Day onesie, have a photo shoot with her one day, and frame one of the pics as his gift.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/190948746/happy-first-fathers-day-daddy-baby?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=happy fathers day onesie&ref=sr_gallery_36

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    Oooo good suggestions!! 
  • Options
    yogahh said:
    One more option (thanks Etsy)
    Put baby girl in a Happy Fathers Day onesie, have a photo shoot with her one day, and frame one of the pics as his gift.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/190948746/happy-first-fathers-day-daddy-baby?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=happy fathers day onesie&ref=sr_gallery_36
    I LOVE this. Esp. since DH is a teacher this a perf gift for him to put on his desk. THANKS
  • Options
    babyfmama said:
    I was thinking about this too... I think I'd love to do something special for him with baby's foot and handprints but not sure what. Maybe a double frame with a photo of him and baby and baby's foot and handprints? Following for other ideas.
    I'm going to do something like this, if I get around to it. But really, he is getting our daughter so I personally think he wins regardless.
  • Options
    I know that DH has had his eye on a specific sort of military-style baby carrier for some time now, but it's expensive and I don't think we are going to be able to afford it anytime soon. I've been putting aside some cash here and there, though, so if we don't have it before LO is born, I'm going to order it for him as part of his Father's Day gift. Even if he does have it, I'm also planning on doing something along the lines of a special photo (my sister is doing the newborn photos, so we've been conspiring about making one of the poses during the session be for a Father's Day photo) and a nice frame, and a suuuuuuper cheesy coffee mug or something to go with it. Something like one of those "#1 Dad" mugs that every dad seems to have. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I got him and DS coordinating Cubs shirts, with a promise of baseball gloves when DS is old enough. DH also got some tools that he really wanted for working outside in the yard.
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this, too! I was thinking of doing something goofy/cheesy: My H takes his coffee in a travel mug every single day. I may make him one of those cheesy picture to-go mugs, haha. I'm also thinking of getting him the hiking kid/backpack. I can't think of what they are called, but it's like a backpack to carry your kid in.
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    DS was born in August, so by DH first Father's Day we had nearly a years worth of pictures. I had a mug made (Shutterfly) with all sorts of pics of DS & DH. DH still talks about it and uses it at work daily. DS and I also did a little finger painting project with Godzilla, which DH loves. 

The following year I made both DH & my FIL a 3 window frame with a picture of each of them around the same age. Both of them loved it (they all look a lot alike!) and appreciated seeing the legacy. 

I should add add that in our families mothers/fathers day are not diamonds and new car type events. For us it's not a big budget affair, but more about doing something creative or special, and typically low key. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kbrands7 said:
    I got him and DS coordinating Cubs shirts, with a promise of baseball gloves when DS is old enough. DH also got some tools that he really wanted for working outside in the yard.
    What?? No pirates gear? 

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited March 2016
    yogahh said:
    kbrands7 said:
    What?? No pirates gear? 
    Lol. I'm the Pirates' girl, but DH is still loyal to his hometown...we make a point to go to the Cubs vs Pirates games.
  • Options
    I've seen on Pinterest a picture of a newborn laying on an old Nintendo. DH loves Mario and Nintendo so I was going to have my sister take a picture of LO in a tutu on his old one and frame it for him.
  • Options
    Father's Day in NZ isn't till September so I have a bit of time to prepare . . . I'm more concerned with Mother's day since I am due late April-early May . . . I told MH he has to get me a card.  He has never once bought me a card for anything . . . He is a flowers kinda guy.
  • Options
    This is our first but I already have a plan. My SO is a mechanic so I will be getting him and our son matching shirts. Our sons will say "I play with cars" and SO's will say "I still play with cars". I'm also an amature photographer and have decided to secretly do newborn photos of our lil fella in laying daddy's toolbox. Then I will print it out and put it in a magnetic frame so he can put it on his toolbox at the shop. 
  • Options
    Kurrant said:
    Father's Day in NZ isn't till September so I have a bit of time to prepare . . . I'm more concerned with Mother's day since I am due late April-early May . . . I told MH he has to get me a card.  He has never once bought me a card for anything . . . He is a flowers kinda guy.
    I am so going to sound like a spoiled brat, but I ask MH for one thing for Mothers' Day EVERY year and it never happens. I went out and got a super cute journal and wanted MH to write a little note or paste pictures or have our son draw/scribble something every year on one page. I dreamed that I would get little updates when he was tiny, then cute drawings when he got older, and then letters when he was even older. I think he did something the first Mothers' Day and then nothing. I don't want him to get me gifts or take me out to dinner or anything. I just want those little entries in the journal from both MH's and our kids' perspectives.

BabyFruit Ticker