December 2015 Moms
Options

Spitting Up

I didn't see this posted anywhere so if there is direct me to it. Just wondering how other spit up babies are doing? Is it improving, staying the same, or getting worse. Are you BF or FF? Did you cut dairy if
yout bfing or if FF what formula are you on? 

DD has spit up pretty much since the day we got home. She is BF and FF we have her on lactose free formula and I don't eat dairy(often). She literally spits up after every burp and then about 20mins after feeding. If we put her on her back or in a sitting position(car seat) she will spit up. we've spoken with 3 different docs and they keep telling us it's a laundry issue more than anything. I don't think we are over feeding as she only gets 6oz aprx including breast.
Hoping it gets better when we start solids but who knows I may end up with purées all over me. 

Re: Spitting Up

• Options
    My kid is EBF is the classic happy spitter. She spits up after every meal, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. Sometimes it is only once, other times she will spit multiple times and for up to an hour after feeding. Her doc says it's totally normal, and just a matter of her digestive system being immature. Now at 9 weeks I think it's getting a little better, but it still happens all the time. I am hoping she will grow out of it soon. 
  • Options
    I am really struggling with DD spitting up a ton. She spit up occasionally until about three weeks ago. She ended up hospitalized with RSV and ever since then has been spitting up so much. And she keeps spitting up the entire time until her next bottle. We are working with her pediatrician to try and get her spitting up under control. She is formula fed and was on similac sensitive. On Wednesday, the doctor had us switch her to similac spit up. We have not seen any difference yet. I am really hoping to get it figured out, because she is probably spitting up at least half of every bottle, and she needs the nutrition. The doctor is also monitoring her weight very closely as we try to figure out what to do. We are going through so many burp cloths and outfits each day with all of her spit up. All I needed in my life was more laundry to do. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My dd really only spits up when we've over fed her or when I can't get her to burp and then lay her down.  She's not eating 6 oz per feeding, closer to 4 oz but more frequently.  Maybe try smaller amounts more frequently and see if you notice a difference?
  • Options
    DD has silent reflux, but she will spit up if her reflux is especially bad/having a flare up. Otherwise, its burping, coughing/gurgling, or lots of swallowing stuff as it comes up.  She's BF, on Prilosec (Zantac did nothing for us), and I avoid dairy and spicy foods. I've tried little bits of dairy to see if she's growing out of it.  She's not. 
  • Options
    DD spits up constantly. She doesn't seem terribly unhappy about it but she often has what seems like painful gas in the evenings. 
    I attribute it to her severe lip tie. I'm hoping to get it fixed next month and if there's still a problem I'm going to try cutting out dairy. 
  • Options
    RSB1982 said:
    My dd really only spits up when we've over fed her or when I can't get her to burp and then lay her down.  She's not eating 6 oz per feeding, closer to 4 oz but more frequently.  Maybe try smaller amounts more frequently and see if you notice a difference?
    We were doing 2oz every 1/2hours but didn't notice a change and she was super hungry. 

taysun said:
    DD spits up constantly. She doesn't seem terribly unhappy about it but she often has what seems like painful gas in the evenings. 
    I attribute it to her severe lip tie. I'm hoping to get it fixed next month and if there's still a problem I'm going to try cutting out dairy. 
    Glad I'm not alone, my friends with babies that don't spit up look at her and think something is wrong and tell me to push the doctor so it gets me second guessing. 
  • Options
    My DS rarely spit up at the beginning but now he spits up almost after every feeding. It's never a ton though and he never seems bothered by it so dr said its fine. He definitely spits up the most in the morning after his first regular feeding because he's so hungry after sleeping that he either gulps a lot of air or eats too much. He's EBF and people have made comments to me that BF babies don't spit up...but my dr said that's not true at all
  • Options
    DD didn't spit up much until she hit about 10 weeks. Now it's either a constant trickle or big gushing waves. She's happy to smile and babble away with it trickling out but the bigger ones ..well honestly it's vomit and she hates it. Ped thinks age and reflux, offered meds but we're trying other things and watching how she does. She is getting better. They did tell us 2-3 months is a peek time for spitup so I'm hoping that's most of it.
  • Options
    My LO still spits up. Some days more than others but it's slowed down from a few weeks ago when it was after every feed and what looked like all his milk. I took him to the dr after trying gripe water and little tummies but she didn't seem to concerned with him bc he was still gaining weight. She did prescribe him Prevacid to help but I haven't really been giving it to him since he doesn't always spit up and I hate to have him on meds this young.
  • Options
    2winterbabies2winterbabies member
    edited March 2016
    DD was spitting  up a ton in the beginning but our pediatrician prescribed Zantac and I also found that the switch to Enfamil Soy was like night and day. She rarely spits up now.
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Mine spits up what seems like her entire bottle at least twice a day, if not more. Very frustrating 
  • Options
    Posted earlier...DD has been having spit up issues since hospitalized with RSV. She is having enough wet diapers, but not gaining as much as she should. She was switched to similac spit up. Today, she was switched back to similac sensitive and given a prescription for omepraze. I hope that this helps. She was a happy go lucky baby until her hospitalization. Since then, thing have been up and down. Has anyone else been prescribed this?
  • Options
    I stopped eating dairy and DS spits up way less. However for the past 10 weeks (he is 12), he still cannot stay asleep between the hours of 2 am and 7 am. He wants to but as soon as I put him down, or 45 mins after I put him down, his reflux bothers him to the point where he wakes up. 

Here is is what we have tried so far: 

I have tried Zantac, it didn't work. 

We were on Prilosec (omeprazole) for the past month or so and that seemed to help during the day (I could actually put him down) but the nights were the same. However, I think this made him have terrible gas pains. 

After a month of my docs fighting with the ins company, we have been changed to the Prevacid Solutabs. Fingers crossed that they will work and that he will be able to sleep. 

I asked his doc if I can try formula at night to see if that helps.  Ped suggested Enfamil AR at night. It has rice cereal mixed into it and should help keep stomach contents down. The challenge there is getting him to drink it.  Also, it's milk based, so do I still have to be dairy free? I don't know but I sure would love a nice grilled cheese sandwich with a side of pizza plus a cream cheese frosted cupcake for dessert.

But I digress.  

I can't help but think that it is something in my breastmilk that is causing his pain but all docs insist that it isn't and never suggest that I stop nursing. 

All in all, had the spit up decreased? Yes. But reflux is still a major challenge for us. 

• Options
    ksrkim said:
    I stopped eating dairy and DS spits up way less. However for the past 10 weeks (he is 12), he still cannot stay asleep between the hours of 2 am and 7 am. He wants to but as soon as I put him down, or 45 mins after I put him down, his reflux bothers him to the point where he wakes up. 

Here is is what we have tried so far: 

I have tried Zantac, it didn't work. 

We were on Prilosec (omeprazole) for the past month or so and that seemed to help during the day (I could actually put him down) but the nights were the same. However, I think this made him have terrible gas pains. 

After a month of my docs fighting with the ins company, we have been changed to the Prevacid Solutabs. Fingers crossed that they will work and that he will be able to sleep. 

I asked his doc if I can try formula at night to see if that helps.  Ped suggested Enfamil AR at night. It has rice cereal mixed into it and should help keep stomach contents down. The challenge there is getting him to drink it.  Also, it's milk based, so do I still have to be dairy free? I don't know but I sure would love a nice grilled cheese sandwich with a side of pizza plus a cream cheese frosted cupcake for dessert.

But I digress.  

I can't help but think that it is something in my breastmilk that is causing his pain but all docs insist that it isn't and never suggest that I stop nursing. 

All in all, had the spit up decreased? Yes. But reflux is still a major challenge for us. 

Practically all baby's in my family and DH's family have reflux - my sisters children had silent reflux extremely severe and there pedi told her that in very extreme cases the fineness of breastmilk can cause a lot more pain for the child to digest so she had to stop breastfeeding - I know she did have the option of pumping and adding something to the milk to thicken it although I'm not sure what it was.....

Just a thought as you may be right about your milk causing pain to your LO..... (plus id trust mums gut feeling....)
  • Options
    @ksrkim doctors never suggested we stop breastfeeding with DS or that I change my diet or anything. I wasn't keeping up with pumping and needed a break so we decided to supplement. We had a sample can of Enfamil Gentlease and it was night and day. It was the first feeding he didn't spit up or vomit after.

We pumped and formula fed until we talked to the doctor and he finally said then to stop bf and made the diagnosis.
  • Options
    @nearlymum and @Mizuiro007, thank you for sharing. I just might try it. I will give his med change a couple of days and then if there is no improvement, I will switch to formula and see what happens.