October 2016 Moms
Options

Surprised by Doctor Travel Advice (re Zika)

First of all, apologies that I haven't been more active the last week. I've been mobile bumping, and for some reason it wouldn't let me love tit or comment (even though I'm logged in). Stupid app.

Anyways, I had my 1st appt today (no u/s-boo), but doc went over the do's and don'ts and said "no traveling south." I told him I am scheduled to attend a work conference in April in Orlando, and he said "well just don't leave the hotel." I told him DH and DD were planning on joining me and we were going to make a long weekend of it and visit Disney, and he said that he can't choose for me, but he would be very cautious about going. He said that even though Orlando is currently ok as per CDC, it's only a matter of time before more cases are seen there.

So, just wondering general opinions. Would you cancel or go? I obviously don't want to be stupid, but even doc said the chance is "very low, but if it happened would be catastrophic." Obviously super super bummed because it would have been DD's first time at WDW.

Re: Surprised by Doctor Travel Advice (re Zika)

• Options
    MRSCORKERMRSCORKER member
    edited March 2016
    This is a tough one but having been faced with this same decision, I canceled my trip. I just knew that even though the chances were slim, I wouldn't enjoy myself and would just be anxious the whole time. It sucks but in my opinion, better safe than sorry. 

Edited because TB at my post before I finished typing. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Options
    DH and I brought DS to Miami the week after I found out I was pregnant. I called my OB and they had no issues with it. I'm actually really surprised your doctor is being so cautious. There haven't been any transmissions via mosquito yet. I might worry a little more during the peak summer months, but I personally wouldn't hesitate to go to Orlando in April. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have to say I'm surprised too!  I guess your doctor just wants to be overly cautious.  

Personally, I'd check the weather conditions for Orland in April.  Is it going to be hot and humid already with lots of mosquitos?  If yes, I'd probably not go..... just because I'd drive myself crazy with worry.

But if not, I'd go and just take precautions (bug spray).  
  • Options
    I think he's being waaayyy overly cautious. There hasn't been a single confirmed case of mosquito transmission in the US. Personally, I think it's overkill to not go. That's just me though. I like to live dangerously apparently. Lol.
  • Options
    Yeah I thought he was being overly cautious as well. My mom is a nurse who used to work with him, though, and said generally he isn't, so that made me double question my decision to go. I'll talk more to DH tonight. It's so hard to turn down because flights and hotel are being expensed, and we're not taking a summer vacation this year, this was pretty much it.
  • Options
    I'm really surprised by this, too. Like @br0co1ii said, all of the US cases so far have been travel-related and no one has actually contracted it in the US.

I'm supposed to be going to Florida later this month and planned on asking my OB about it at my appointment on Monday. FWIW my MIL is in Daytona right now and says she hasn't seen any mosquitoes (obviously that's only her experience and it may differ elsewhere).
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @suzy311 let me know what your doctor says. I'm just curious to hear another opinion!
  • Options
  • Options
    I live just outside of Orlando, and while I am cautious when i'm out after dusk (bug spray crazy), i don't cancel trips because of it. DH and I just went to Universal two weekends ago and had a blast. Also FWIW, there hasn't been many mosquitos active yet. I think that's probably going to be the case until May.

But definitely do whatever you're most comfortable with! 
    Me: 30  DH: 31
    Married 2010
    TTC since Nov. 2015
    BFP#1: 2/8/16
    MC: 3/19/16  :'(
    BFP#2: 9/3/16   EDD: 5/17/17

mommy to the cutest rescue mutt ever.
    my chart
  • Options
    We are planning to attend a wedding in Tampa in June, and will likely spend a few days at Disney beforehand. I mentioned this to my midwife and while she agrees that Zika is worthy of concern, she doesn't think I should cancel my trip. I know the question asked was about travel to Florida, but I'd find it far more interesting to hear from women who actually live there/what their doctors said. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @jatwal128 - No mosquitos til May? Must be nice! I live in lower Alabama and they're starting to come out here.  :s
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have a trip planned in April as well and my doctor also recemmended  against traveling. It is very conservative.

TTC Since June 2012 BFP #1 08/01/12, D&C 09/07/12 9 weeks, Blighted Ovum BFP #2 01/01/13 m/c 5 weeks BFP #3 03/02/13 D&C 4/15/13 m/c 11 weeks, 07/19/13 Hysteroscopy for Scar Tissue, 9/12813 Hysteroscopy & Laparoscopy for Scar Tissue, Cleared to TTC October 2013. 

BFP # 4 11/01/2013 EDD 07/12/14

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me?

• Options
    My BIL is getting married in May in Sarasota. My OB just said today it's okay but watch the CDC site for any updated recommendations. I don't know how comfortable that makes me as far as buying plane tickets.
  • Options
    I canceled a trip to the keys in April, and my doctor said she would have done the same.
  • Options
    We went on a cruise in January while TTC and decided to stay on the ship during the Costa Maya, Mexico stop because of this Zyka scare.  Good thing, because turns out our time was better served baby-making in our cabin than hiking the ruins!
  • Options
    Well crap.  We have a wedding in Tampa in May and I hadn't even thought about cancelling.  That just seems super conservative to me -- there have been no reported native cases in Florida yet.  What are you supposed to do if you already live there?  Obviously if the CDC changes their recommendations that's one thing, and I'm sure I'll use plenty of bug spray and stay out of the swamp, but frankly, I'm not considering cancelling the trip yet when as of now the biggest risk of the whole trip to me and my baby by far are the car rides to and from the airport.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DH and I:  Early/mid 30s
    Married 7/15
    TTC #1 as of 8/15
    BFP 11/21/15 -- MC confirmed 12/1/15
    BFP #2 2/18/16
  • Options
    LizaKate1213LizaKate1213 member
    edited March 2016
    Pretty sure Disney sprays like crazy for mosquitos anyways...they wouldn't want their guests being pestered by them. We are planning to visit my in-laws late April/early May in Daytona and I'm not concerned. When a confirmed mosquito transmission happens in the US, then I will start to worry but until then I guess I'm living on the edge!
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    klvklv member
    The biggest risk of birth defects caused by Zika are in the 1st trimester. 

We are going to WDW in June. The trip was planned long before I got pregnant and Zika was an issue. We will just be cautious
  • Options
    I'm shocked that your MD said that. All cases in the US are travel related. There are no mosquitos here that carry the Zika virus.

I would be cautious and wear insect repellent {as others have suggested} for piece of mind but I wouldn't cancel my trip. Then again, I am biased because I live IN Orlando.

We are planning on going to The Bahamas next month as as of my appointment yesterday, my OB said "go for it but wear insect repellent ".

Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

PCOS baby due October 09, 2016
    Beta #1: 22.5
    Beta #2: 74

• Options
    PCOSbaby said:
    I'm shocked that your MD said that. All cases in the US are travel related. There are no mosquitos here that carry the Zika virus.

They may not have transmitted it yet, but the mosquitos that are capable of transmitting the virus are common in Florida.  
    "Mosquitoes in the Aedes species are most likely to transmit the Zika virus and are commonly found in Florida and other tropical climates. They are the same mosquitoes that spread dengue and chikungunya viruses."

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/concerns-over-zika-virus-in-florida-focus-on-protecting-against-mosquitoes/2262064

• Options
    My OB says at this point in the continental US, the only threat for Zika is by sexual transmission. I don't know you personally, but I would venture to say you're safe as long as DH does not have it :) 
    I wouldn't cancel my trip until there are confirmed cases in the US-- but maybe take extra precautions for you and DH.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I just went to Orlando to go to universal studios this past weekend. I had bug spray on and didn't go out at twilight (when the bugs are the worst.) no mosquito bites for me. Take precautions against mosquitos and go.
  • Options
    I have been travel planning (baby moon) and honestly I'm staying away from the south. I know it's technically not there yet but I'm staying far away, so I get why your Dr told you to. I'd rather be safe than sorry...

• Options
    @klv I brought that up but he said we don't know the effects really yet in other trimesters. He said that there are neuronal risks in any trimester. 
  • Options
    I have a friend who is due in August and her Dr. told her to cancel her trip to Miami this summer strictly because southern Florida does have the mosquito that can transmit Zika.  It is so scary to think that it may be in Florida this summer.  My heart goes out to all the mamas down South who will be worrying about this while you should all just enjoy that growing bump.

Pregnancy Ticker

Oct 16 March Siggy Challenge

Oct 16 Feb Siggy Challenge

• Options
    I usually go to Fort Lauderdale in April but I didn't want to book it and then start hearing reports about it spreading there after I spent the money. Plus I would have been going by myself with DS and I didn't know how I'd be feeling so I'm skipping it. 

• Options
    I'm usually in camp "better safe than sorry" but that can often be taking safe precautions instead of skipping the whole thing. Staying indoors during peak bug activity times, and being aggressive as all hell with bug spray, maybe even investing in some insect repellent clothing, that type of thing. Honestly I'd probably wear bug spray indoors too, I could never keep those little jerks out of my house when I lived down south. I think I got like half of my bug bites from indoors. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm actually at Disney world right now for vacation and a conference.   My Re and Ob said it was fine at this time.   Disney has a pretty good mosquito control system in place.  I was at Disney springs tonight and it was bug free.   I wish you luck in your timing,  but use common sense and follow the latest news as to where it has spread. 
  • Options
    I think if I lived in the north I would be hesitant simply bc I'd have the luxury of choosing, but we live in South Georgia and can't move, so here I am pregnant and Zika could potentially be transmitted here as more travel cases pop up. We have terrible mosquitoes here in the summer so I am just praying protection over this baby and honestly over my other kids and our family bc there can be negative effects for more than just pregnancy. We are going to WDW in May with my husband's whole family coming from the west coast, so we are locked in. I will definitely be using bug spray and being very careful with myself and my family, but honestly after the olympics in Brazil this summer, Zika will have the potential and opportunity to reach everywhere as people travel back to their home countries. 
    jon & kate
  • Options
    I just went to Orlando to go to universal studios this past weekend. I had bug spray on and didn't go out at twilight (when the bugs are the worst.) no mosquito bites for me. Take precautions against mosquitos and go.
    The mosquitos that carry zika are active during the day. 
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing
  • Options
    My dr earlier this week said travel to Florida right now is fine. However I don't think I would because I'm a worry wart
    ~Erin~ 
    proud pagan 

• Options
    I live just outside of Orlando and feel totally comfortable going on our evening walks. I am not happy about the Zika virus but it has not stopped me from getting outside. We had annual passes to Disney last year and would go at least once a week. We never had any bug bites. I would look at it differently if there were cases that happened directly in Florida. 

This is totally your decision, but I personally would bring the bug spray and come enjoy the sun and fun of Disney. 

Best of luck!
  • Options
    My friend is having a destination wedding at the end of July in Mexico. My OB nearly threatened my life if I went lol. So, I'm cancelling that trip but that's in a different country all together. I don't think Florida in April would be a big deal but I wouldn't go because I would just be worried the entire time and have phantom bites when nothing is biting me. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm planning to go to the gulf coast in May. I asked my OB and a doctor friend about it and they both said as of now it is fine. One said the Mosquitos who carry Zika can only travel 200 feet. Im still going, but I'll probably wear bug spray and try to stay away from buggy areas.
  • Options
    Hmmm this is a tough one.  I don't know how long you can put off the decision, but maybe just wait and see what the weather does and keep an eye out for any cases?  It does sound like your doctor is being pretty conservative, but I could see why ... we really just don't know what is going to happen as it warms up and mosquitos come out in the U.S.

Also, I think the info about Zika only being dangerous in the 1st trimester is outdated... I recently read an article where they studied pregnant women with Zika in Brazil and there were major complications (i.e. deformities and miscarriage) in the 2nd and 3rd trimester as well, even if the baby was previously healthy.  I think it was in NY Times.
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Options
    @CopperBoom86 it always depends on the weather i guess. right now we've still been having enough cold snaps and not too much rain, so i haven't really noticed many. It may be wishful thinking but i'm hoping this will last through most of April too!
    Me: 30  DH: 31
    Married 2010
    TTC since Nov. 2015
    BFP#1: 2/8/16
    MC: 3/19/16  :'(
    BFP#2: 9/3/16   EDD: 5/17/17

mommy to the cutest rescue mutt ever.
    my chart
  • Options
    DH and I talked last night and we're still going back and forth. I know that right now the risk seems low; however, if anything were to happen, I would hate myself forever. I have one more apt with a diff doc in the practice about 3 weeks before we are scheduled to leave. I'm going to get her opinion and well and then go from there (of course with continuing to monitor).
  • Options
    My ob and primary care doctors both said that as of right now, anywhere in the US is permitted, but they have both advised me not to go to my sister's wedding in Aruba in June. (i'm so heartbroken and i've been crying for days about this.) My primary care doctor told me not to cancel the Aruba trip until it was closer because things can change and research can find new things within the next 3 months. My ob said that if i feel that I MUST go, bc he can't truly control me, i need 24 hr deet coverage from head to toe and i will need extensive testing when i return. My husband and I are waiting a bit longer before we cancel the trip. Any trip that we had planned/booked once we got pregnant, we bought insurance for because you never know what can happen with a pregnancy.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    -=- Tara -=-

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    DIStickerscom Ticker