February 2016 Moms
Options

STM(+) and nursing/milk supply

A question for STM or more but have you noticed your milk coming/came in differently than with your first?

I stopped nursing DD July 2015 after 15 months... DS is two weeks today and I've noticed I haven't been engorged once.. Like I was with DD. I never heated or cooled my boobs like I swore by with DD while my milk was coming in this time.. I'm just hoping I didn't mess up milk production already. I know it's still early but I also know how hard it is to be a full-time working mom that nurses on demand and pumps at work and how the smallest of things can effect supply! Hoping my boobs have a "been there, done that" mentality and might be picking up where they left off in July?!?

DS's two week appointment isn't until Saturday but I'll bring it up to the doctor then. He lost almost a whole pound in the hospital (throughout 4 days) since all he wanted to do was sleep and had a slight latching problem involving his bottom chin :) so fingers crossed he's back up to 9lbs by Saturday!! TIA!
Married: 2012 --- BFP: 2013 - Little Miss arrived: 2014 --- BFP #2: 2015 - EDD: 2/2016 (Team Green)

Re: STM(+) and nursing/milk supply

• Options
    I had a worse engorgement problem this time around than with DS. My milk came in faster and stronger. It pretty much sucked balls those couple of days. But it's a little different for me because it's been 3 years since I BF'd DS. You are probably benefitting from it being so soon that your body is just still in BF mode from before. 

• Options
    I had a worse engorgement problem this time around than with DS. My milk came in faster and stronger. It pretty much sucked balls those couple of days. But it's a little different for me because it's been 3 years since I BF'd DS. You are probably benefitting from it being so soon that your body is just still in BF mode from before. 
    Ditto every single bit of this!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also had little to no engorgement this time. I stopped nursing at 22 months in June.

My milk came in on day three this time and seems regulated already. I leaked way less than with DS. My LO is 6 weeks and up more than 3lbs since birth so I don't see any issues with my supply. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hello from a fellow A14'er :)  My milk came in just a hair sooner than it did with my first, but I've not had any engorgement, etc like I had with DS.  I'm chalking it up to the fact that they stretched out so much with my first, so now it's just business as usual.  I notice they're fuller, but no pain or engorgement. 
  • Options
    Right there with you. I stopped nursing DS1 in September 2015. I was full but not painfully engorged like last time when my milk came in. I spent dayyyys icing them around the clock and not a single ice pack was needed this time. First real engorgement I've had with DS2 was when he started sleeping 7-8 hours at night (he's 5 weeks old). I'll wake up leaking and engorged as usual. He lost right at a pound in the hospital, was jaundiced, but quickly packed the weight back on. I'm occasionally pumping after a feeding to build a little freezer stash and am able to get way more milk in a much quicker period than I did pumping with DS1. I'll pump 3-4 ounces after a feeding in 10 mins. With DS1, when I was pumping at work I'd pump for 20 mins every 3 hours to get 3 - 4 ounce each time. I guess the boobs have just learned what to do now! 
  • Options
    My engorgement was shorter and not as uncomfortable as last time. The lactation consultant I saw briefly in the hospital said that's to be expected second+ time. 

I have noticed that I don't feel as full between feeds this time around, so I'm hoping that's normal, too. 

I BF'd DD until she was 22mos and I was around 8wks pregnant. 

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I also stopped nursing around the time you did (DS2 was 12 months). I noticed just a little less engorgment with DS2 and 3 than DS1. (ETA - but I haven't had any supply problems, regardless of the engorgment). 
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Good to hear a lot of similar stories!! Thanks ladies!!
    Married: 2012 --- BFP: 2013 - Little Miss arrived: 2014 --- BFP #2: 2015 - EDD: 2/2016 (Team Green)
  • Options
    So glad you asked this!  I was just wondering/worrying about the same thing today.  I've been slightly engorged but nothing crazy.