Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Newborn eating less at night?

My (almost) 4 week old baby usually nurses for about 30 minutes during feedings, but lately at night, I'm lucky if I can get her to eat for 15 minutes. Sometimes I don't even switch sides because she seems finished by the time to switch.  It's not because she's too sleepy, most of the time she's pretty awake by the time I put her back down. She seems content and still having enough wet/dirty diapers. I'm just curious if 1)anyone else has experienced this? and 2) will it affect my milk supply? 

Thanks!

Re: Newborn eating less at night?

• Options
    Eventually babies do eat less at night and eventually will go without eating at night. For some babies it's sooner and some it's later. DD is 12 (almost 13) weeks and is on the smaller side so she still wakes every 2-3 hours to eat most nights but it's started being less and less and she eats much more efficiently at night time. 
    The other thing to keep in mind is that babies become more efficient at nursing so begin getting the same amount in a shorter time period. 
    Your supply will adjust to babies need. If baby is not needing to eat as much at night they will probably eat more during the day and your body will (normally) figure it out. And if baby is eating the same just more quickly, there isn't anything to worry about. 
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    This baby (my third) started eating on only one side at night almost immediately. When he wakes, I change him, we eat, and he goes back down. He's also a fast eater, and at night a session is only 10-15 minutes. At his last dr visit, he'd gained 2.5 lbs at 2.5 weeks! All my boys have gained quickly like that, but he's the first that transitioned to eating on only one side per nursing session so early.  I would say follow your instincts!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @MississippiCatfish thanks! So do you just pump the other side? My girl is now only on one side each feeding. Thank you!