January 2016 Moms

Who's on the night crew?

2»

Re: Who's on the night crew?

• klbhklbh member
    @claireloSC I'm starting to think about doing that! I planned to roomshare for at least three months and probably more like six, but kiddo is an insanely loud sleeper. He'll often go 4-5 hours without waking to eat, but his noises wake me up multiple times during that stretch :(
  • We got a 5 hour stretch for the second night in a row followed by a 2.5 hour. I probably just jinxed it now. It's definitely an improvement from other nights!
  • Loading the player...
  • @klbh Do it! That was my plan too but she is so grunty and loud! Even when her noises don't wake me up, the dog will wake and run to check on her so that wakes us up! We're all sleeping so much more with her in her own room. We actually don't have her crib yet - getting it this weekend - because we thought she'd just sleep in the sidecar co-sleeper for months. We've just been putting her in the pack and play. I think some of the time we were responding to her noises but she actually could have kept sleeping, so we woke her up thinking she needed to be soothed. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • l4rkl4rk member
    leap_frog said:
    Whoot! We got a 4 hour stretch last night and then a 3 hour! This comes on the tail end of my other son being sick and me getting up for the past 4 nights, so I will take it. Exhausted is an understatement.

We had this two nights ago and I was so happy. Yesterday was the most energetic I've felt in months! ...Then last night she had onky a 2 hour stretch and then woke every half hour to hour. *sigh*
  • l4rk said:
    leap_frog said:
    Whoot! We got a 4 hour stretch last night and then a 3 hour! This comes on the tail end of my other son being sick and me getting up for the past 4 nights, so I will take it. Exhausted is an understatement.

We had this two nights ago and I was so happy. Yesterday was the most energetic I've felt in months! ...Then last night she had onky a 2 hour stretch and then woke every half hour to hour. *sigh*
    Such a tease!!! I'm trying to just accept that some nights will be awesome (4+ hour stretch), some will be "normal" (2-3 hour stretches) and some will suck (1-2 hour stretches or less) but that I've made it through before and I'll make it through again. And that - try as I might to sleuth it out - there's really no rhyme or reason to why some nights are good and others are bad.

I'm going to slowly and super casually start trying drowsy but awake in a week or two and see how that goes. I've gotten brave lately in the night and have been putting him down within minutes of him falling asleep vs religiously waiting 20 minutes and he's done surprisingly well (stirs and grunts and kicks on and off but usually falls into a deep sleep within 20 minutes on his own).

I hope we all get some relief and predictability soon!
  • ^^^ OMG. so last night I swear he was up every half hour.
    I think we are going through a growth spurt. He's a cranky clusterfeeder today.

N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)
  • @EmmyMommy123 I agree with what you said and I'm trying to do the same thing as far as just trying to accept that some nights are just going to really suck! DH and I were discussing this last night and we came to the conclusion that it feels MUCH worse when we have expectations of how the night will go. I don't think there is too much rhyme or reason at the moment but I sure catch myself trying to trouble shoot it all the time. It's a lot easier on me when I tell myself she will sleep at some point and just to try but accept whatever happens as the reality. I know from experience (at least my experience anyway) that sleep will improve with age so I'm holding on to that!!!
  • @SBH041815 that's totally it with the expectations for us too! Hard to just let it be, but the alternative trouble shooting as you said was driving us more insane than the sleep deprivation!
  • I do the nightshift every night because I breastfeed through the night. She's 7 weeks now. She's never been a wake up every hour baby. The hardest part used to be how long & difficult it was to get her off my boob, she would eat then use me for a pacifier for an additional hour.. There were rough times when I couldnt get Her back down for an hour and a half to two hours so I had very little sleep before I had to nurse again. Her growth spurt at 5 weeks was horrendous. But now she pretty much wakes up only twice. If she goes to sleep at 8:30pm then she'll wake at 12:30 am, 4:30 am then she's up for the day at 7 am. But now I just try not to get used to anything because if I get too comfortable I will end up so thrown off & disappointed when she changes up on me due to growth spurts & milestones. One of our biggest issues was she got strong enough to break out of her swaddle so I started using her swaddlepod which zips up & now she's sleeping better since she can't flail her arms. Also the white noise machine really helps. 
  • Ugh, the inconsistency! We had many nights where he slept from 10-2/3 then woke again around 5/6 and slept till about 8. Tonight, asleep at 9:30, awake at 11:30, 3, and now 6 (would actually be 2 and 5 except for time change).. He'll be 8 weeks on Tuesday, wondering if I can expect more consistency closer to 12 weeks? 

• Time change! I thought LO slept 5 hours again. NOPE, it was the time change. He only technically slept 4 hours again. Damn. 
  • klbhklbh member
    @012016 same here! I was so happy til I walked to the kitchen and saw the oven clock. 
  • l4rkl4rk member
    @012016, @klbh Yup, me too! But she still slept a solid 4 hour stretch so I'll take it!
  • Ugh, the inconsistency! We had many nights where he slept from 10-2/3 then woke again around 5/6 and slept till about 8. Tonight, asleep at 9:30, awake at 11:30, 3, and now 6 (would actually be 2 and 5 except for time change).. He'll be 8 weeks on Tuesday, wondering if I can expect more consistency closer to 12 weeks? 

Hang in there until 8 weeks and see if it helps. I doubted that things would magically change, but we've had four nights in a row with at least one 4+ hour sleep stretch (longest was 7.5) and babe turned 8 weeks the day after he suddenly started sleeping better!

Now watch me hang my head in disappointment next week when it all goes to shit again lol, but fingers crossed its only uphill from here for a bit!
  • The doctor told me not to wake them up to burp them if they fall asleep nursing and that of they are uncomfortable and need to burp they would wale back up. We also try to avoid doing diaper changes at night. It's been going a lot better since we made those changes.
  • nanamp said:
    The doctor told me not to wake them up to burp them if they fall asleep nursing and that of they are uncomfortable and need to burp they would wale back up. We also try to avoid doing diaper changes at night. It's been going a lot better since we made those changes.
    Good to know. I've been wondering about burping and diaper changes... Maybe I'll do less and see if it helps her sleep more/better at night.
  • LO is 6 weeks. We had a few good nights and now I feel like we are going downhill again. We started giving her bottles with a 50/50 of breastmilk and formula about 4 oz each time. 

We we used to get her to sleep from 10-2 and then 4-7. Last night she woke up at 1230, 130, 430, 530, 7. 

Tonight ht she slept from 1130-230 and after 4 oz is wide awake. I think my mistake was changing her diaper before I fed her. We've been awake for 2 hours now so I'm nursing her. My boob is killing me and I pumped so I figured we'll see if it's helps either of us.

does anyone have tips on how to have fast feeds so we're both back to sleep in less then an hour? :(
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    https://youtu.be/U08XWOx3XYM

I didnt want want to start a new post just for this but I stumbled across this video and thought it was hilarious! It's Jennifer Gardner reading a bedtime story called go the f to sleep haha 
  • Becky012016Becky012016 member
    edited March 2016
    Eta posted in wrong thread!
  • @ByeByeSpotts, I second what another poster said. Reduce the diaper changes and don't be so strict about burping at night. I used to change LO's diaper every time she woke up. But then I realized that most babies sleep through the night without getting their diapers changed, and do just fine. So now I only change her in the middle of the night if she's poopy.
    Here's our routine: I grab her out of her bed the second she starts making "hungry" noises so she never has a chance to REALLY wake up. This, in conjunction with the no diaper change, keeps her sleepy. I feed her and she typically falls back asleep while nursing. I hold her for about 5-10 minutes to make sure she's really asleep, then I just pop her back in the co-sleeper. Our feeding routine has been cut from 1 hour down to 30 minutes just with these simple changes. Hope this helps!
  • We we used to get her to sleep from 10-2 and then 4-7. Last night she woke up at 1230, 130, 430, 530, 7. 
    My LO went through a growth spurt at 6 weeks and was up every 1-1.5 hours for three nights straight. Needless to say he gained a pound and I lost 3lbs in one weekend haha. It will get better!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers