May 2016 Moms

1-hour Glucose Question (WWYD)

I know there are a few glucose threads, but I'm trying to get a specific answer to my question.

My doctor wants me to fast before my 1-hour glucose test--like, from midnight on.  That means I'd have to go tomorrow and bring my toddler with me, as my wife will be out of town.  Alternatively, I could go to the lab this afternoon, having not eaten since about 7:30 AM, and get it done before I pick him up at daycare.  I don't remember fasting with my first, and most of the info I've read on the 1-hour test says you don't need to be fasting (I looked at my paperwork and it's definitely the 1-hour test).  I called the office again today to ask if I REALLY have to fast and the nurse just said, "Yes.  Since midnight."

I've NEVER heard this before, so I'm curious what others have been told.  I'm leaning towards ignoring the fasting since midnight rule and going in this afternoon, having fasted from 7:30 AM onward.  The way I figure, that's the same amount of time as if I fasted from midnight tonight to 7 tomorrow morning, which is when I'd go for the test tomorrow.

Thoughts?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: 1-hour Glucose Question (WWYD)

• kp90kp90 member
    I was only told to fast for my 3 hour... I was told to eat as normal for my 1 hour just avoid a ton of sugar. Well I did and ended up failing. I think if I would've fasted I would have passed. I guess it depends on the doctor but normally people aren't told to fast for the 1 hr.
  • I know there are a few glucose threads, but I'm trying to get a specific answer to my question.

My doctor wants me to fast before my 1-hour glucose test--like, from midnight on.  That means I'd have to go tomorrow and bring my toddler with me, as my wife will be out of town.  Alternatively, I could go to the lab this afternoon, having not eaten since about 7:30 AM, and get it done before I pick him up at daycare.  I don't remember fasting with my first, and most of the info I've read on the 1-hour test says you don't need to be fasting (I looked at my paperwork and it's definitely the 1-hour test).  I called the office again today to ask if I REALLY have to fast and the nurse just said, "Yes.  Since midnight."

I've NEVER heard this before, so I'm curious what others have been told.  I'm leaning towards ignoring the fasting since midnight rule and going in this afternoon, having fasted from 7:30 AM onward.  The way I figure, that's the same amount of time as if I fasted from midnight tonight to 7 tomorrow morning, which is when I'd go for the test tomorrow.

Thoughts?

I didn't fast for mine and that was what I was told to do, but I looked at the instructions on the bottle of glucola as I drank it and the bottle actually does say you should fast (on the bottle for the one hour test)... even though most doctors don't have you do it for the one hour. Personally I would listen to what your doctor says (even though mine said don't fast and I failed... :neutral: ). Maybe if I had fasted I would have passed.
  • Loading the player...
  • My Dr. told me I didn't have to fast for the one hour but to make sure if I did eat something, the sugar level was low. I just ate a banana a couple hours before my test to keep me content and then ate an actual meal afterwards since my test was in the morning. It does say on the bottle that you are supposed to fast but I guess most Dr.'s just don't enforce it. Best of luck!
  • I had to fast from midnight on for my 1 hour. Glad I did. I barely passed.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • I only was told to not eat an hour before my one-hour test.
  • This is speculation, but maybe the doctors (and it seems like fewer of them) that are telling people to fast, have higher standards for passing the test? I know some have different cut off numbers, too. 

Based on that, I'd do what the Dr. said.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I had to fast with my 1 hour even though I don't recall doing it last time. I'd follow drs instructions and go in the morning so you don't have to go all day without eating.
  • vinerievinerie member
    edited March 2016
    I was told to fast for my 1-hour overnight. They specifically told me to schedule first thing in the morning because of that.

Also, random: They offered me a Sprite after the blood draw as I "must be thirsty!" Um...I just drank a sugar drink and now you are offering me more sugar? I didn't know what to do with that one. Water will be fine, thanks!  
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• I had to take the glucose early on in my pregnancy because diabetes runs strong in my family. I was told I didn't have to fast, just low carb it. And I ended up failing and having to take the three hour. I fasted without asking for my three hour and passed it.

So my second time around taking it at 27 weeks I fasted for the one hour, because I just know that is why I passed the three hour the first time, and I passed it. In my experience and opinion I  highly recommend fasting.  

• I didn't fast at all and I passed just fine. I'd go in the afternoon if it's more convenient.
  • My doctor told me specifically not to fast.
    photo 3b43f478-6280-4d47-9376-66fc916418a0_zpslewcrjtbjpg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My doctor told me specifically not to fast.
    Same here.. was just told not to eat sugar at breakfast (I ate a bowl of plain oatmeal about an hour before the test). Wonder why everyone is told such vastly different things?
  • Thanks for all the input, ladies.  I got REALLY hungry, so I'm going to brazen it out tomorrow morning with the toddler.  I'll bring the iPad and bribe him with the promise of "special breakfast" after we're done! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Lurking from June...

I was also told to fast before my 1-hour with my first. Since I was only 22 and extremely inexperienced about pregnancy, babies...ect, I didn't question it. I also passed.

Now pregnant with my second, I am also seeing a different OB who told me I didn't have to just don't eat a box of doughnuts before hand. I just took it the other day so hopefully I passed.
    As a PP said, on the back of the glucola, it does say to fast.
  • I was told I didn't need to fast but that to increase my chances of passing the test it would be best if I just came in right first thing in the morning before eating breakfast. 
  • I was told not to fast but the drink instructions said to fast. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I think the right choice for you depends on (a) what you think your risk factors might be; and (b) how you weight the inconvenience of fasting now vs. the increased risk that you'll get a false positive and have to deal with the possible inconvenience of the three-hour test later.

I did a fair amount of digging on this because I was initially overconfident that I'd pass easily due to a complete lack of GD risk factors and family history, subsequently failed the one-hour with a reading of 138 mg/dl (as it turns out, my system metabolizes carbs more slowly than the test curve anticipates, likely because I'm Asian rather than Caucasian), had to waste a workday doing the three-hour test (which returned completely normal results), and was extremely cranky about it. So here's what I was was able to turn up:

-- The pass rates for the 1-hour test range from about 70% to 85%. It is hard to get good numbers on this because practices vary widely on what they consider the cutoff (130, 135, or 140?) and whether they instruct women to fast beforehand or not (those that do fast get lower false positive rates, those that don't fast get more false positives). But in any case, most women will pass the test, regardless of whether or not they fast.

-- If you don't fast, you are least likely to get a false positive if you eat something with very low carbs (anecdotally it seems like eggs are the safest breakfast choice, and also it's worth remembering that milk/cream in your coffee has some carbs. Soy milk, almond milk, and other substitutes have high carbs).

-- You can't actually cheat the test by fasting. If you have GD, it'll show up. What fasting does is reduce the false positive rate, nothing else.

-- The false positive rates for "low fails" are extremely high, ranging from 66.7% to 85% percent for "fails" only slightly above 140 (140-145). If you do fail the 1-hour with a low reading, you very probably do not have GD. It's certainly possible but it's unlikely. I mention this in hopes of reducing stress if you do fail the 1-hour, particularly if you don't fast.
  • Instructions from my doctor's office tapped to the bottle said to fast for at least two hours before the test, but I had my blood drawn at 8:45am and went ahead and fasted overnight after eating dinner. I have no idea of my results yet since I just had it done yesterday.

• OP, I'm really glad you waited to take it until tomorrow morning (toddler and all). If you look at the other glucose test result thread, many posters regret not fasting because they only marginally failed their 1 hr test (which has an unreasonably high rate of false positives). I fasted, even though my OB gave me no instructions one or way or the other, and passed with a 102. I'd rather fast and get an accurate result then put myself through multiple blood draws and more of that drink. GD doesn't discriminate just because you may have slightly lower risk factors, family history and genetics play a huge role, which really can't be assessed ahead of time. I think you made the right choice and hope you pass without worry!  
  • I had my test scheduled at 9am and had to be there by 8:30 so they just told me not to eat from midnight on. It wasn't a huge deal, for me at least. I would go with what your doctor says. 
  • I was told not to fast... And I failed the test.  I just did my 3 hour today and passed.  
  • splsmama2016splsmama2016 member
    edited March 2016
    Lurking from June, and I apologize about my siggy challenge photo... 

I wasn't told to fast, I was just told NO heavy carbs for breakfast and avoid foods with a high sugar content. So I had a banana and a cheese stick because I like cheese. And I was also told not to drink too much water RIGHT before my appointment either (as I did my test to coincide with my OB appointment). 

Also, if you haven't don't your test yet, call ahead and see if they offer the drink cold. It went down fairly easy when it was cold. :) Good luck!

*Goes back to June BMB*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I failed my one hour...on to the three hour. Joy.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I had to fast for my one hour and three hour so I tried to get the earliest appointment possible and tried to sleep in until I had to leave so I didn't think about how hungry I was. Good luck!
  • My Dr. Told me no food two hours before but to eat something high protein that day. Also drink plenty of water. I had two hard boiled eggs about 2.5 hours before and passed with a 116. Good luck!
  • I was told to fast overnight but also to eat a peice of cake the night before. My favorite instructions from a doctor ever! 
  • My doctor did not require a strict fast I was instructed that I could eat 3 plain eggs (no toast, no katzup etc) and water the morning before my test. Which I did and my 1hr test was normal. 
  • I was told not to eat two hours before coming in, but that I could drink water. I had eggs and turkey sausage for breakfast and I passed my one hour test.
  •  Update: I went in Saturday AM after fasting from about 8pm onward the night before (though the last thing I ate was some leftover cheesecake...) My biggest worry was DS acting up, and although he DID have a little potty accident during the 1-hour wait, he was a super good boy (and got a donut as a reward after!) The biggest annoyance was no one in the crowded waiting room wanting to give a seat to a pregnant lady, and having to wait 45 minutes from the time we got there just to get signed in. 

Oh well, it's over now, and hopefully I passed.  REALLY don't want to have to do the 3-hour!

Pregnancy Ticker

• My midwife told me that it would be best if I fasted, as the results would be more accurate and it could prevent me from doing the 3 hour. So I wasn't told that I HAD to, but was strongly encouraged to.