3rd Trimester

When did you get the tdap? getting mine next week!

Just curious when you all got the tdap. I'll get mine next week at 27 weeks. Any tips of what to expect?

Re: When did you get the tdap? getting mine next week!

• 27 weeks? I've heard the ideal time frame to get the tDaP vaccine was between 28-36 weeks. but close enough i guess.
    there isn't really a whole lot to expect. it's just a quick vaccine that you get in the upper arm. made my arm quite sore for a few days afterwards, but that's about it. 
  • Yeah I'm wondering if I should question my ob about timing now... Too early?
  • Loading the player...
  • you can always ask. I'm not sure if waiting til 28 weeks really makes that much of a difference though. my OB said that you can get it at any time during pregnancy, it's just most beneficial to get it between 28-36 weeks.
  • I think it was 28 weeks. It wouldn't hurt to double check if it's too early.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• 28 weeks.  A tip, get it in the arm on the side you don't sleep on!  I got mine in the side I sleep on, and that first night was no fun.
  • 35w, but I procrastinated. My current OB's office doesn't have them, they just tell you to go get one from your PCP or a pharmacy. They said my window for maximum effectiveness was before 36w. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had mine at 28 weeks.  Take some tylenol after and move that arm as much as you can.  I don't think its supposed to be any worse than a flu shot really but I think my nurse hit a nerve or something since my shoulder felt like it was dislocated for about 4 days.   
  • 28 weeks.  A tip, get it in the arm on the side you don't sleep on!  I got mine in the side I sleep on, and that first night was no fun.
    Also got mine at 28 weeks, but yes! Listen to this, I got mine on my left arm (because I'm right handed) and it was a big mistake because I sleep on my left side  :#
  • I'll get mine at 35 weeks. Currently 32
  • I'll be one day short of 28 weeks so I might just reschedule my appointment for another day or so to be in the right timeframe instead of waiting another 4 weeks (at the next appt). 
  • This week at 28 weeks. It was like a flu shot- quick and painless. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that didn't get a sore arm, so don't 100% except pain afterwards. Now, if only the epidural was as easy.... 

cat fail animated GIF

• I get mine next week, I will be 29 weeks.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • sarawifenowsarawifenow member
    edited March 2016
    I got mine at 27w2d and my OB said it was just fine. 

ETA for me, the shot itself didn't hurt, but the after effects kicked my butt. My arm was so sore for about a week after.
  • I got mine at 28 weeks. My arm was sore for a couple of days afterward. Not too bad.
  • I rescheduled my appointment for four days later so I'll be at week 28 when I get the shot. 

Thamks for for all the replies. 
  • Got mine yesterday (27+3). Arm is kinda sore and I was a little lethargic afterward. But it's tolerable. Not nearly as bad as some friends had made it out to be
  • I will be getting mine at my next appt. I will be just over 34 weeks 
  • Got mine at 28 weeks. Had to get it and the Rhogram shot the same day. Rhogram hurt way worse afterwards. Had no problem with TDAP. DH however was very sore for a couple of days

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • I'm glad I don't have to get rhogram! Glad to see others are getting theirs at 28 weeks. I saw its in the range the cdc recommends but wasn't sure if it was a lot earlier than the norm. 
  • I just got mine yesterday at 31 weeks. Getting the shot itself wasn't bad, but arm was sore afterwards and is still sore today. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got mine done at 29 weeks at my OBs office. Shot didn't hurt, but over the next few days it felt like I'd run into the corner of a table when I went to move my arm, but nothing horrible that I had to take Tylenol for. The spot did feel slightly warm to the touch and was firm until the medicine dispersed it seemed like.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just got mine today at 29w6d.  My last appointment was 27w6d and she wouldn't give it to me then.
  • Thanks for all the replies. I like knowing what to expect!

@js8812, strange she wouldn't give it to you then! I was wondering if before 28 was too earlier, glad I rescheduled my appt to a few days later so I'll be a between 28 and 29. 
  • kde4kde4 member
    I got it at 28 weeks.

www.theydontfeedthemselves.com

My favorite activities and tips for surviving different phases with our twins!

• Did anyone notice is baby (i.e. Movements) were affected by getting the shot? Just curious what to expect. 
  • Did anyone notice is baby (i.e. Movements) were affected by getting the shot? Just curious what to expect. 
    Not at all. If baby is affected, it's more likely to be a reaction to you if you're stressing about the shot. The shot goes into the muscle, not the blood stream, so baby won't be effected for quite a while. 
  • But lordy.... my arm sure is sore! 
  • Thanks all! Getting it tomorrow so I'll be prepared for a sore arm. 
  • I was right around 27 weeks. They did my glucose and the Tdap all at the same time. I think if it's close enough they do it then since my next appt wasn't for another 2 weeks.
  • Starlight32Starlight32 member
    edited March 2016
    The shot itself didn't hurt but my arm does hurt now. Nothing alarming though. 

I see see the doctor every two weeks instead of four now. So excited June is getting closer!
  • Just remeber to get it early enough. After 28 but before 36. It takes 2 weeks to build immunity for the baby, so if you get it at 36 weeks and go into labor at 37 weeks it's not going to do much good. 
  • Yep I got it two days ago. My arm is feeling better slightly sore feeling when I raise it all the way up, but nothing weird. 
  • I got my Tdap shot 2 days ago and HOLY SWELLING!  It's very swollen and tender.  Sleeping on my left side has been painful since I put pressure on the injection shot.  The shot itself was quick and easy - just hoping the swelling and pain subsides soon.

• Oh wow my arm is not visibly affected by it. I think the nurse who did it was very good!
  • I just got mine the other day at 28 weeks... The administration doesn't hurt, but my arm sure is sore!!!!!!