April 2016 Moms
Options

Diaper Stock

I did a search but couldn't find anything regarding how many diapers to stock up on, sorry if this is a repeat.

FTM here, I wanted to know if you ladies stock up on diapers and wipes and how much of each is enough. There was a woman selling boxes of diapers on a local online FB "yard sale" page so I bought 2 boxes of pampers 1 and 2's. I also have one box of NB but waiting for my 36 week US to see if I should buy another, dr told me a couple of weeks ago baby is looking big and not to worry about NB items

Re: Diaper Stock

• Options
    I haven't bought any diapers or wipes yet, but I've got 6 packs of diapers and 5 packs of wipes from my showers. I think the diapers are all newborn sizes. Im a ftm and have heard from others on here its better to try out different brands and sizes once baby is here before stocking up on diapers, in case the ones you bought don't work for what ever reason. I figure the ones I got from my showers I'll try out and then go from there. 

I'm more curious to see how fast I'll go through a pack of wipes or diapers too. Like I wonder how long 5 packs of wipes will actually last! 
  • Options
    Presuming you live in an area with ready access to diapers, I wouldn't stock up until you figure out what works for you and baby. Also, they can grow more quickly than you might imagine those first six months. One other Mom and I donated 500 plus size one diapers when DD1 was a few months old for that reason.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We tried out a few brands with our son and found out we preferred pampers swaddlers when he was just a little guy.  I have about 100 nb diapers and 200 size ones purchased to start.  Of course this baby could be different!
  • Options
    My DD was a tiny peanut and we went through a ton of NB diapers and she stayed in size 1s for a while.  This baby is measuring much larger but I have 2 boxes of NB diapers (123 count) and 2 jumbo boxes of size 1 diapers.  Wipes you can never have too many of!
  • Options
    If I remember right we stocked up on size 1 and 2 with a couple nb boxes. We also stocked on wipes because there was a great black friday deal that year at BRU. We were lucky and DD didnt have a problem with them and they worked well. With this one we don't have the space to stock up on that stuff so I have one package of size nb, 1, and 2 each, and then a box of wipes since I still use them for DD who isn't fully potty trained yet. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Don't open any packages til you need them and you can exchange them for a larger size.
  • Options
    I wouldn't buy more than 1 box of newborn diapers.  I generally would not stock up too much with DD.  If she was in size 1 and I found a good buy I'd get a box of 1, 2 and 3 (or however many the deal was good for).  If we just went into size 1 I would get more of that size.  We generally also sized up for nighttime so I would try and keep a variety of sizes
  • Options
    We only got/asked one box of nb-3...although ppl keep giving us NB. Might have use for them if he decides to come early. We have tons of samples too. There was a booklet in the Buy Buy Baby gift bag that listed the "average" amount of diapers the per size. A few of our friends also mentioned that their kids stayed in size 3 for a long time.
  • Options
    I currently have a case of nb plus about 7 jumbo packs of nb from my showers so I already know we'll most likely have to exchange those sizes out. Unless baby girl comes out really small. That's a lot of diapers.
  • Options
    I've gotten 1 smaller pack of NB, and started to stock up on 1s and 2s, but I'm trying to buy smaller packs when they're on sale, and get a few different brands (specifically in size 1). That way, we can test out what works best for her, and we don't have to store too much at any given time. Plus, it's entirely possible that I just end up signing up for Amazon's subscribe and save once we find the diaper type that works best for us.
  • Options
    I'm only 'stocking up' on the diapers I'm given at my showers.  The thing is that you don't know how big your baby will be and for how long they will be at a certain size, so I'm not planning to stock up.  Good news is that most places will happily accept unopened packages of diapers to exchange for different sizes if you find yourself with too many of one size.

• Options
    @fourtsixand2 that's what I was thinking as well, but I've read NB- 3 months go through approx 8 diapers a day so figured it couldn't hurt to stock up on a few. And I didn't even think about exchanging for a bigger/smaller size if need be which is great! Thanks @yodiggity for the idea! 

I haven't been nervous at all this whole pregnancy but now seeing how close we're getting my nerves are setting in! 
  • Options
    @fourtsixand2 that's what I was thinking as well, but I've read NB- 3 months go through approx 8 diapers a day so figured it couldn't hurt to stock up on a few. And I didn't even think about exchanging for a bigger/smaller size if need be which is great! Thanks @yodiggity for the idea! 

I haven't been nervous at all this whole pregnancy but now seeing how close we're getting my nerves are setting in! 
    Yes, they go through a lot of diapers!!!  But, for example, the 'newborn' size diapers are good up to 10lbs, so if your baby is on the bigger side, he/she may not utilize them for that long.  
    For me, I live in a big city, so I don't have a need to stock up since 5 minutes in either direction and I've got diapers at my disposal.
    People will tend to be very generous with diaper-giving while you're pregnant, and you may find you don't like some of the brands, so it's great that stores happily will swap diapers for your baby's needs but there's no real need to stockpile like they're going out of style.  
    Good luck! :-)
  • Options
    yodiggityyodiggity member
    edited March 2016
    Also, some of the sizes overlap. And a lot depends on the brand. The "swaddlers" diapers seem like they are more of a snug fit so the nb size is up to 10 lbs but the size ones are 8-14 lbs. So essentially, baby could go straight into a size one, if the legs are the appropriate size.
  • Options
  • Options
    I wouldn't keep more than one small pack of nb size diapers on hand, unless baby is super small.  I rarely make it through a pack of them before moving to size one, and all of my babies have been in the 6 lb range. Nb diapers usually end up on the dolls.  
  • Options
    I do not like having a bunch of diapers just sitting around my house so I do not stock up on much. Plus, the bulk size diaper boxes are designed to cover an average month of diapers for a child that size. I do Amazon prime so just have one box delivered a month, saves time and having to change out sizes unnecessarily. I have a large box of newborns on hand and a smaller size 1 box assuming I'll reorder one of the two sizes for my next month depending on when baby shows up and how big he is. 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    I followed this with DS. I never stockpiled as much as they recommended, but I had a decent amount. I've started buying jumbo packs here and there of varying sizes.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have over 4,000 diapers. I am a couponer so I only pick them up when they are less than $0.10 per diaper. I bought a huge variety of brands and sizes. I figure what I can't use/exchange I will give to friends/donate. I got insane deals on most of the diapers, I would feel bad NOT buying them! I donate most of my stockpile anyway, I mostly coupon for the rush.
    And now to AW my diaper stockpile... 

@Muggle lover (and anyone else looking to save) If you ever buy/use Luvs diapers, there's currently a $5.00 rebate off of a pack of 52+ on Ibotta. And a $.75 manufacturer coupon good through the end of the month. It gets you down to about $.09/$.10 a diaper.
  • Options
    I don't like how Luvs smell. 
  • Options
    yodiggity said:
    I don't like how Luvs smell. 
    You know they aren't going to smell good while in use, right? ;)
    LOL 

Have you smelled a pack of them though? Unused, I mean. They smell like a baby powder bomb. I don't see how putting a fragrance in a diaper is good for a baby's bottom.
  • Options
    @Muggle lover I would love to start/try couponing but don't have the slightest idea where to begin. 
  • Options

yodiggity said:
    Sort of related to diapers, I was reading "what to expect: the first year" and it had a section with suggestions about methods of introducing dogs to the baby. It suggested letting the dog smell everything so I let my dog smell a diaper (unused obvs) and she tried to eat it. So, that's going to be an interesting challenge.
    I tried doing the same with my dog, but with some clothes, blankets and stuffed animals that people bought and my dog snuck a couple of stuffed animals and security blankets to try to claim as her own. Definitely going to be a bit of a challenge esp with my dog being a bit of a guarder
  • Options
    We need to start a dog thread...i havent seen one yet? going through the same issues with our dog...we have been trying to introduce him slowly to things but he thinks they will be his lol. We are going to start putting a few of the 'living room things' IE play yard, vibrating chair, etc out in a few weeks and start teaching him that these aren't his territory...that should go well :/ lol any stm's tips?? 

Going to try letting him smella diaper, we haven't done that yet!
  • Options
    FTM and I had heard that you could exchange if you did not open the boxes so I did a diaper raffle for my baby shower and got 12 jumbo boxes of diapers and about 15 or 20 regular packs of diapers. I will just exchange the sizes out as needed. I am on a tight budget so I figured the more diapers I have now it is just one less expense for later.
  • Options
    @CrystalandMattSJ there was a dog thread a long, long time ago. What I've found works for my dogs is to redirect, whether it's away from the remote or to stop them from jumping. Giving Athena a bone to chew when she's bored or giving her tasks consistently for a couple of weeks completely nixed her destructive tendencies. I also keep baby's door closed when I'm not in there but invite her in when I'm in there. She just wants to sniff around and see what's going on. 
  • Options
    We are getting just one economy pack of size 1 diapers. Not a problem to order more online when we will know for sure that baby doesnt have any sort of allergy to the scent or texture. We use Sam's club wipes (Members Mark Baby Wipes) for my 11m old and they are great -no fragnance, pretty thick and 1000 in a box for 18 bucks. The best value i had seen so far. We will get couple of boxes before the baby arrives. 
  • Options
    jonesl12jonesl12 member
    edited March 2016
    I started a dog thread in August but it was just a GTKY " show me your pets" type of thread. 

@Muggle lover I used to coupon big time but I just don't have time anymore :( 
    ive gotten deodorant for 6 cents, hand soaps for about 40 cents each  and cereal for under a dollar a box but that was about as low as I paid for anything. 
    I'd love to stockpile a few things again