March 2016 Moms

Pre term labor

Last night, (I'm 36w and 2d) I started getting contractions... Did the best I could to track them given it was midnight and I was exhausted... They were coming pretty steady despite changing positions, walking, warm shower, etc. 

Waited until 3:30am to wake my husband... Once I knew for certain that things were progressing due to my contractions becoming closer and more intense... Then off we went to the hospital. 

Once at the hospital, they monitored the baby and I. At this point I was getting somewhat painful contractions every 2-3 minutes. They checked my cervix and I was 1cm and thinned out. I was given a shot to stop the contractions at this point. (The shot made me get all shakey and pass out too) This worked for about an hour before they started back up again and I was given another dose. 

By this time, my doctor showed up. He said since I hadn't had anything going on in the 30-45 minutes he was discharging me. He was not putting me on bed rest. And wants me to return to work. He added that if I had actually been in labor he would have delivered the baby today.... 

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing? I'm at a total loss for what to do or expect from here on out. My doctor isn't helpful, he won't be seeing me until my next appt, next week since I go every two weeks still, 

Re: Pre term labor

• Yes. This happened to me at 33+4 and I've been contracting ever since (I'm now 35+5). I'm 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced. It's pretty clear I'm not going into active labor any time soon, but they did/do have me on bed rest because it was so early. I'm not going to lie to you, it takes a toll. I feel like I've been in labor now for over two weeks (and I guess I have, but it's prelabor and not the actual throes of active labor). I'm exhausted and really short/snippy with just about everyone. Hoping at all of this pre-work means baby will come quickly and easily when it's finally time. I'm sorry you are going through this. I can completely relate. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I guess I'm confused what else you wanted your dr to do/say?  He's basicaly telling you not to change your routine and if you go into real labor hell deliver your baby. Aside from the shots I don't think there's much they can do, or need to do at this point. Babies are born at 36-37 weeks all the time. Make sure your bags are packed and keep on keeping on.  I get tons of contractions at night too and I'm only 1-2cm at over 38 weeks so I can relate to how exhausting it is, but our bodies have a mind of their own at the end here you just have to roll with it. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor said that at 36 weeks they would deliver my baby if my labor started because babies are close enough to full term at that point that generally they are healthy. My sister had her son at 36+4 and he was perfectly healthy. Sorry that you don't feel that your doctor is meeting your needs though. That's never a good feeling.
  • Yes this happened to me at about 34ish weeks. I was also sent home with no bed rest. I've continued to have contractions (38 weeks tomorrow) and it can suck sometimes. Unfortunately it probably won't be your first scare, I had false labor Sunday night which is also frustrating. 

It is not uncommon just keep on keeping on, that's all you can really do. Just know you're not alone! 
  • Thanks ladies... 

We've been home since around 9am. I've continued having contractions, they've gotten closer together and more intense throughout the day. About 7 min apart and boy do they kill my back! I called my doctor at 11:30 to ask what to do, never got a call back. My husband called at 2, was told we'd get a call back, but have not gotten one and it's been an hour now. 

Pretty frustrated as we would really prefer our little boy stay inside until his due date and develop more. 

I feel like my doctor would prefer to just deliver him and not deal with stopping my labor again. 
  • Been back in the hospital since 7:30. Contractions were coming 3 min apart. They stopped them again. 

Keeping us overnight for monitoring.

Going on 28 hours of zero sleep. Super cranky and all I want is a hot shower to make my back feel better, of course, there is no hot water. 
  • Hope you'll get some rest soon and that your little guy will decide to stay inside a little longer! Thinking of you 
  • Sorry you're having a difficult time @tjaffe. Hope you get some rest. 
    imageimage

• Hope you get some rest now if they've managed to stop the contractions. Just know that it's unusual for them to do anything at all at to (try to) stop labor after 36w. Your body is going to win this fight if that's what it wants to do, they're not going to be able to stall it forever. 

On the other hand, it might just be prodromal labor and you could keep on having contractions on and off for weeks. There's really no way to tell until you start actually progressing. That's what happened with my daughter, I had serious intermittent contractions from week 36 to week 41 and was just advised to go about my business as usual, she was going to show up whenever she wanted anyway. 

I hate that your doctor is so uncommunicative, though, is there any way you can talk to someone else in the same practice? I'm sorry, that has to be the worst.