January 2016 Moms

Drying up

looks like I'm drying up. I used to pump pretty well until going back to work. I get so caught up in the day that I'm lucky if I remember or find time to pump once. I try to nurse him twice a day but i always have to supplement with formula since my supply is so low. I made lactation cookies, bought milk makers, am drinking the tea, tons of water, eating healthy, nothing is working. I get maybe 1.75 oz out of my right side and .25 out of my left with each pump session. I was hoping to pump for 6 months but it looks like it's coming to an end at 2. :(

Re: Drying up

• I agree with above- also wanted to add that prolactin is highest in the wee morning hours something like 2-6 AM. So it would be extra helpful if you nurse and/ or pump during those hours as well- as much as it sucks to get up at those times if you don't have to but some women can't maintain a supply without at least one middle of the night feeding 
  • Loading the player...
  • It's supply and demand your supply will meet your demand. You have to pump or nurse more often to get your supply up again. Try a power pumping session on your next days off.  Pump for ten minutes rest for ten minutes pump for ten minutes, etc for one hour.  You probably won't get much but your supply should increase in a day or two.
    Married March 19, 2011
    TTC off and on 04/14
    BFP 06/13/14 MC 06/15/14
    BFP 12/14/14
    1st Appt 01/13/2015
    M/C 1/19/15 D&C 1/20/15
    BFP 5/13/15
    1st Appt 06/10/2015 Peanut has HB 150
    A/S 09/02/15 It's a Girl!! Low placenta, but everything else great!

IAmPregnant Ticker

• I am my own boss so that's not an issue. I just get so involved at work that next thing I know it's 4:00.  If my boobs were tender or engorged it would be one thing but they don't even leak anymore. I already drink over 100 oz of water at work plus what I drink at home. Getting ample calories so that isn't the issue either. It's the cycle. I don't produce enough milk to nurse him for a full feeding but my supply won't increase unless he nurses. I just pumped for the first time today and it's 5:00. I did nurse twice this morning and will try again tonight. 
  • What helped me last time was pumping until the second letdown (like 20 min in) and I would YouTube "crying baby" to get my milk going. Weird but it worked. Nursed my baby for a year. 
  • @Lacynduck  that was such an awesome suggestion. I was getting nothing out of the right side today and then I watched a video and the flood gates opened up.
  • It is never too late to increase supply, but you have to pump more often or you'll definitely dry up. 
  • Definitely set and alarm and pump every 2-3 hours for a few days/weeks. Supply will build. Once supply is up, you can decrease the number of times u pump, just make sure u get the same number of oz a day as you need or more. I have a great supply as of now so I only need to pump twice at work and once at home and have plenty of milk to feed for the next day and store some. Good luck