November 2015 Moms
Options

PP weight loss plateau

i am having a hard time with the last 6 lbs, they won't budge! I run 20 mi a week, 2 hours of strength, and I watch my diet. DH thinks it's my body holding onto the fat since I EBF. Is this true? Is anyone else having a problem? Not too worried because I know it takes 9 months to lose after 9 months gaining but I would like to hear others feedback. 

Re: PP weight loss plateau

• Options
    I have read many times that those who EBF frequently do not lose the last five pounds until they quit breastfeeding. I gained 40 during pregnancy, EPed for 3 weeks, lost 20 during that time, and then my milk dried up. 14 weeks later, I haven't lost another pound, no matter how I try (although I haven't tried running; I think I'd rather be as fat as Santa Claus than run). It's very discouraging.
  • Options
    Like PP I also gained 40 pounds during pregnancy. I EBF the first 2 months and did a combination of pumping and formula the 3rd month. LO has been exclusively formula fed for probably 2-3 weeks. I lost 20 pounds in the first month. And since then I have only lost another 10 pounds. Kudos to you for running... Lol I haven't had the time/energy to do that. I hardly have the time to eat... Which you think would help me lose the last 10 pounds. Go figure.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Could it be that it has now turned into muscle? this is another of those "everyone is different" things. I am now smaller than I was before I got pregnant, my butt is basically non existent but my boobs are massive! I'm hoping exercise will give me my butt back. I miss it. 
  • Options
    It could be bc of breastfeeding but I know for me it's always a struggle to lose the last few pounds. Maybe you need to change up your routine? Your body may have adjusted to what you've been doing so it's no longer challenging...
  • Options
    I mostly EP (except for middle of the night feedings) and I've been stuck on the last 11 pounds for a long time. I love to run but a couple of weeks ago I went to the gym at work and 10 minutes into running/walking on the treadmill I started peeing and couldn't stop it. I was mortified, praying no one else noticed. I haven't been running since then. Gotta work on more kegels before I start back up apparently. 

And I've always had a hard time working out in the evenings. Even though DS is asleep, I feel like if I workout I am taking my time away from him because I only have the early mornings and the evenings with him during the week. Stupid, I know, because he is sleeping, but I've got that stuck in my head.

I wasn't planning on buying bigger pants to wear, just figured I would wear my maternity pants until the weight came off and my old ones fit. Ya that was dumb, I went and bought new work pants last week since I still can't wear my normal clothes. I wish this 11 pounds would hurry it up!
  • Options
    The struggle is real. Sigh, I guess it's hard for me to adjust to this new body. Good luck to everyone for their weight loss goals! 
  • Options
    Losing that last bit of weight will be 90% diet and 10% what you do in the gym. You say you watch what you eat, but what does that mean? Are you counting calories? Are you weighing your food? If you're serious about losing that last bit of weight then I recommend an app like my fitness pal and weighing everything you eat. It's a simple calories in/calories out equation, that unfortunately becomes tough when you've only got a little left to lose. 
  • Options
    I do have the my fitness app and I think I just don't eat back what I lose with the exercise, which I read could be bad for weight loss; so this week I am gonna do that and see how I do. Also I eat mostly macrobiotically, with the exception of fruit here and there. I indulge with the occasional single cookie or a piece of dark chocolate. 
  • Options
    Runner here, have you tried a steeper inclines or tried to up your pace just a bit? You can take a run and do a sprint jog interval instead. I agree with the 90% diet statement above- maybe eating more calories to fuel to workouts prior then proteins/ fibers post ( I used to do the opposite and wasn't till I switched that I got out of my slump). Best of luck!
  • Options
    I gained 30lbs during my pregnancy and I EBF for 2 months and lost a total of 37lbs. Thinner now than I was pre pregnancy. My guess is that it really just depends on your body. 

FTM due 11/06/2015
    Married 09/21/2013
  • Options
    mrsaragonmrsaragon member
    edited March 2016
    Try switching your workouts up. Your body can get used to doing the same thing so it won't respond to it as well after a while so it's good to change things every now and then to give it then shock it needs. And Ive never heard about not losing the last 5 pounds until you stop nursing. I'm 3 months PP and am already below my pre pregnancy weight....
  • Options
    All awesome suggestions ladies! I love running and yes I live in a hilly area so I always run hills even on the treadmill. Just found some workout videos on Amazon Prime and i am gonna give those a shot. I am also thinking of taking a class at the Y that will kick things into high gear. 
  • Options
    Have you taken your measurements or are you only judging body changes by the scale?  If you're working out a good bit you may be losing inches but not pounds as you gain back muscle mass. 

I've recently started using a nutritional system called Isagenx that I really like.  I did two 2 day juice cleanses to help me detox a bit.  Other than that it's 2 yummy 250cal shakes a day, healthy snacks, and a healthy meal.  This system has really helped me stay cognizant of what food I'm eating.  I've only lost a few pounds, but I've dropped quite a few inches. 

This week I began to add running (which I've only ever dabbled in before) and various exercises to my diet so I can't wait to see the results I get in the future.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    I just quit eping last week. And lost my last 5 pounds in a matter of 3 days. 

• Options
    I gained 40 pounds and lost 30 in 3 months with no work. I lost 2-3 more in the last few weeks through really watching what I eat. It stopped there with the last 7-8 pounds left but I also haven't really started to exercise yet since it's still so cold out. My period hasn't come back since I pump or BF with no formula. Maybe that's part of it as well?
  • Options
    smnewby said:
    Breastfeeding = easy weight loss

I would like to know who started that lie!

Its more like breastfeeding = insatiable appetite. 
    Right?!? I can't eat enough. I started tracking what I ate and gave myself an extra 300 calories since I'm BFing but most days that isn't close to enough! I'm always starving. 
  • Options
    smnewby said:

Yup!! I haven't lost a single pound since 6 wks pp!
  • Options
    smnewby said:

Agreed, I am also team eat the whole kitchen. I lost all my baby weight with in the first 2 weeks, thankfully I am not gaining any weight, but I was hoping to slowly lose some extra weight I had before getting pregnant. I am not to worried about, maybe slightly disappointed ;)

A lady I work with announced ( in front of the entire dept just before a meeting) I was lucky because I burn so many calories "lactating like crazy". Ignoring how rude her comment was, I was just thinking "if only you knew".