June 2016 Moms

Sciatic nerve pain?

I have a shooting pain that starts in my upper leg/butt and shoots down to my heel, it's only in my right leg. Any remedies? It's the worst when I stand up from sitting down sometimes hits randomly when I'm walking. It's so bad my leg almost gives out I'll be 26 weeks on Wednesday. Anyone know what causes it or how to get rid of it between that and my upper back pain I'm going to go crazy. I thought I wouldn't have these issues until later on, does it have something to do with excessive weight gain I already gained 25 pounds. I wasn't over weight at all before and I'm really active I work out 5 days a week but the weight just keeps coming. Also I'm 25 years old and FTM
Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

Re: Sciatic nerve pain?

• I had it with my first pregnancy and it doesn't seem to have much to do with anything other than bad luck.  I used a yoga ball to sit on, took Tylenol, used a heating pad and kept my feet elevated when I was sitting for long periods of time at work.  A donut pillow may also help when you're sitting.  If you can find a place that does prenatal massage, some people find that helps.  I didn't, but I was willing to go and keep trying ;).  You might also talk to your dr about a referral to PT if it gets really bad and may find some relief from a chiropractor if you use one.

The only good thing was they told me it would go away once I gave birth and they were absolutely right.  By the day after, it was pretty much gone. 
  • Cwg22Cwg22 member
    I had it last pregnancy and it hit me early on one this one, also in the right leg/lower back right. Last time around my Dr. told me to try a stretch where I lay on my back and cross the leg over my body and let it hang, ideally do this on the edge of a bed and let it hang off. It helps, in addition to the tips mentioned above. I can vouch that it goes away after birth but for now I understand how much of a nuisance it is. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I've got it too! Hit me at 20 weeks, was really bad for a few days, then down graded itself to just annoying. One thing that my doc mentioned I didn't see above was to try a materity belt, and tennis shoes. Also heat, as much excercise as you can manage. Today was the first day in a month I wore dress shoes to work! So it seems to have gotten better for not at least. Good luck! 
  • I feel you all. I haven't had much of it this pregnancy, fortunately, but I did have it with the last one and for a long time after. Sciatica can be aggravated by long periods of sitting with your hips at a ~90º angle (like in an office chair), so the yoga ball suggestion is a really good one. Any time you can spend standing instead of sitting is also helpful. I benefited a lot from yoga both during and after my last pregnancy -- pigeon pose and anything that stretches out your hip flexors. I think part of the reason I haven't had much sciatic pain so far this time is that I'm doing ballet, which of course involves a lot of lower body/leg work, and we have a way better mattress than we did last time. Improved sleep surface made a huge difference for me.
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It seems to be better today, when I got out of bed this morning I was bracing myself for the pain but it didn't come. I wasn't sure if it was related to something I'm doing wrong but from the sound of it its just bad luck. My mom said she had it with her first really bad too. Thanks ladies for all the tips
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• I've had it the past two weeks and its miserable. I have found some stretches that will help temporarily. My favorite is the Childs pose. I put a pillow under my belly so its not just hanging, and it feels SO good. I'll post a link to a website I have found that I really like. 

https://www.simplebackpain.com/sciatica-stretching-exercises.html#axzz41K0pY4wo
  • Add me to the sciatica is killing me club! I am trying to keep stretching it and also booked a prenatal massage but really only using that as an excuse! 
    I had it last time too and was told there is very little we can do about it. :( 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Mine started acting up after I flew to Florida and back - its about 3.5-4 hours each direction in the stupid airplane seats. Some days are definitely worse than others. I've found that putting a heating pack on my butt where the worst of the pain is helps and usually if I chill in my recliner for a bit and read or watch tv, it starts feeling a little better. totally sucks though.
  • I had it with my last pregnancy, so bad that I could barely walk. My lifesaver was Epsom Salt baths. The first night it didn't do too much to help, but my naturopath told me to do it every night for at least a week, so I did and it went away! By the morning after my second bath I was starting to feel relief. Whenever it would start to annoy I would hit the tub for a nice long soak. I always used way more salts than the package suggested, about a cup and a half. I hope you all find some relief soon!
  • I've seen a few heat suggestions. Heat is for muscles, use ice! Ice will help the inflamed nerve. Trust me it made my siatic pain go away so much faster! That and lots of stretches.