August 2016 Moms

STMs: double strollers?

DS1 will be almost 3.5 when DS2 arrives in August. He is a very active and independent kid, and we almost never use a stroller with him. 99% of the time, he insists on walking. He won't even ride in the cart at the grocery store anymore. That said, there have been a handful of times, like attending a parade or the zoo, where a stroller has been a must, because he gets tired and it's too much to carry him. 

Would you still get a double stroller or would that be a waste of money? I can only imagine his independent nature will just get stronger as he gets older. If anything, I'm thinking maybe one of those strollers where the big kid can stand on the back might work. We also have a single BOB and I've seen kids doubling up on those where one kid perches on that front part that sticks out while the younger one is strapped in. Not totally kosher, but would work in a pinch. 

What at are you all doing, and how old is your older kid?
BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.

Re: STMs: double strollers?

• I posted the same question a few weeks ago. My son will be almost 3 when this one comes. You can probably find it through my profile.

The consensus was that a sit n stand stroller might be the way to go, so I'm
    planning to buy a used one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks, @tisunge602. I'll look for your post!
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think I posted in the other thread. DS will be 3 this summer. I plan on getting the standing board for him. If it's somewhere I know he'll be in and out of the stroller then I'll wear the baby. 
  • cm716cm716 member
    I swear by the sit and stand. I bought it around my first daughter's 3rd birthday. My second daughter was about 8 months old.

it basically has a little bench seat and a foot stand for your older kid in the back. Dd1 mostly walks but it's amazing for longer outings like the zoo or times when i NEED both of them contained i.e. the airport. I got ours on Amazon for about $100.

it is also less bulky and lighter then the double stroller which is a huge plus.
  • We just bought a BOB Revolution SE duallie from REI.  I love it so much I'm using it for DS even though I don't have a kid for the other side yet!
  • We bought a buggy board for our stroller and use it a lot with our now 3.5 and 2 year olds. It clips onto the back of pretty much any stroller and turns it into a sit and stand. And when you aren't using it, you can flip it up and clip it to the handle. 

Mom of 2 little gentlemen and one more on the way

image         image

• A coworker offered me her sit & stand which of course I will take her up on. My DS will be 25 months when #2 is born and us very active. Will he be too young to sit on the bench? I think there's a strap for him if there wasn't there's no way he'd stay in the seat. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My DD will be 5. We do a lot of traveling and camping for work. I am thinking of a Baby Jogger City Select. Where she can sit (or stand with the board in the back) and new baby can be in their car seat on top. We love our City Mini stroller and still use it for DD's naps when we are out traveling/working. 
  • @bananers thank you posting this. I had the same question!
  • We have a City Select that we got when DD was born, knowing that we wanted more kids.  It can convert to 2 plus one of the stand things on the back.  I'm excited to finally see it's full potential!
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• We're planning to get a Joovy sit and stand stroller. DD will be 3.25 when this one arrives and is similarly quite independent.  I think she'll like sitting facing me, because she's a mommy's girl, and will like that she can get on and off on her own.

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016
  • If you son has no interest in sitting in the stroller, then I probably wouldn't spring for one right now. If anything those little boards that @katiedidthat posted would be a good idea just in case he gets a little jealous of the baby being pushed and he wants to jump on. My son is 2 next month and he still really loves his stroller, so we are going to get one since he will most likely still want to sit in it when LO arrives.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My son will be 3 in September and still goes in the stroller often. I'm leaning toward the city mini or britax double. He is very active and I need something to strap him into while also juggling the newborn when we are running errands, going to the doctors appts, etc. We also like to do long walks so it would be great to have something they could both comfortably sit in where I can maneuver them in addition to our dog.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We have the baby jogger city-mini double.  To clarify- it's not a jogging stroller. I picked it because I don't love tandem strollers- I think they're hard to turn.  However, I was worried about a double-wide fitting in places. The City-mini fits through a standard door. So, it take some maneuvering but I can get in places alone.  Also, it comes fully assembled, unlike some strollers, particularly joggers, where you have to attach the wheels again every time you fold them.  My kids can get in and out of it on their own, which is nice.  My boys usually love to walk, but say we're spending the day at the zoo or something, someone's always climbing in and out of the stroller.  The only drawbacks- it has no storage. You have to buy like an organizer/cup holder separately.  Also, limited storage underneath. Still, the pros outweighed the cons for me.  
  • I haven't seen this posted anywhere but just a heads up, BBB is offering 20% off select Baby Jogger models and accessories now through 4/1 so now is a great time to buy! The City Select model is only $399 now. You can't use the BBB coupon on Baby Jogger products so this is a great deal. I've been looking to buy a used one for awhile and the price for a new one with this deal at BBB is almost the same. I think there are a few Amazon retailers offering  it at that price too with free shipping. 
    Baby #1: Palmer Olivia - October 2014
    Baby #2: Emmeline Grey - August 2016
    Baby #3: BFP 9/7/18  |  EDD 05/24/19
  • PeachGal23PeachGal23 member
    edited March 2016
    @justaudrey thank you for this heads up!!  I was zeroed in on getting a city select, but last weekend I tried it out in comparison to the city mini gt double, which I liked so much better!  The fold is super easy, and it's smoother to maneuver.  I've also heard you can try to order a baby jogger from Bed Bath Beyond using the 20% off, and the cashiers often don't know that brand is excluded.

• DDRRT1982DDRRT1982 member
    edited March 2016
    I would get one. I tried to be economical and all that jazz, but have since bought two double strollers since DS2 was born.  I would also not get a cheaper one.  The tire blew and I ended up getting a more expensive one.  Even if your toddler does sit for long it's nice to have a seat for when he does and to lug all the crap you say you arent going to need, but end up needing anyways.
  • @katiedidthat do those fit on the BOB single?
    BFP 5/22/12, MC 6/6/12 (cp) BFP 10/16/13, EDD June 28, 2014 - baby J arrived 6/19/14! ** #2-- BFP 12/5/15, EDD August 17, 2016 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker ***************************** Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We used a double jogger with our first two.  It was the schwinn tourismo and when dd1 didn't feel like riding in there was a platform on the front she often sat on.  We also just went on vacation and realized we forgot our double and ended up having to Craigslist a stroller.  We found a graco ready to grow.  It can do regular front and sit and stand back.  It worked really well at Disney for our 5.5 yr old and 3 yr old.  But also has a clip on part for baby in the back if you want them facing you plus fits the car seat when they're really little 

Married 5/2/09 To my best friend 
    Lillianna Faith Born 8/26/10- My big girl kindergartner!
    Peach- MC 3/2012
    Logan Christopher Born 2/3/13- My little fighter, cardiac defects, 2 cancer scares and more surgery, tests, MRIs, cat scans, xrays than most people would have to face their whole life.   

Pregnancy Ticker
  • jmknox said:
    @katiedidthat do those fit on the BOB single?

jmknox said:
    @katiedidthat do those fit on the BOB single?
    It should! The website has a compatibility check if you want to be sure. I've used it on a Graco Literider, a Contours Options LT double tandem, and an Orbit single. Basically anything with two uprights should be able to accommodate it. 

Mom of 2 little gentlemen and one more on the way

image         image