Infertility

IVF + Acupuncture

Good Afternoon Ladies (and gents?)

This is my first time posting please bear with me. I am a 30 y/o and DH has unexplained infertility due to sperm motility issues.

Where I am at:

2 failed Fresh cycles.

Going on 3RD cycle for IVF- this time, frozen (7 embryos frozen) and w/ a new Dr. (my choice)

I have been working on this frozen cycle now for almost 4 months. My uterus was not becoming thick enough (Dr says above 8MM) in order to do the transfer. He was beginning to believe there was a problem within my uterus (adhesions, or scarring) however that did not make sense to me, because I did not think I would have any scarring, seeing how I have never had a pregnancy, a loss, abortion, or anything else related to instrumentation that would result in scarring. We did a procedure w/ the "ENDOSEE" in order to see my uterus. They were having some trouble getting into my uterus deep enough to see what was wrong.

So----

2 days later, I had a hysteroscopy. That went perfect, and my exact words from dr were " Everything went fine. I did not see any adhesions or problems in the uterus. No scarring. So we will have to try some different meds to thicken the lining up for your thaw.."

I keep going in circles here- because my uterus is simply non compliant. I have tried 2x to thicken my uterus w/ the meds (Estrace) both orally, and vaginally up to 4x a day (2pills oral, 2 vag) and no luck. I kept plateau'ing at 6mm, never higher.

SO- With that being said, I have switched over to a more holistic approach and figured what do I have to loose trying Acupuncture? I have been going 3x a week, and truly think that this will help plus, a switch over to estrogen that is going to be intramuscular- CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE NEEDLES!! WOOHOOO!! (NOT)

Have any ladies w/ non compliant uterus' like myself had any luck w/ Acupuncture? I also have a chart of where he puts all of the needles, and would love to hear other ladies experiences w/ acupuncture- where the needles are placed, and how it might have helped thicken your lining. I am open to all stories, suggestions, and comments.

Thank you

Re: IVF + Acupuncture

• I forgot to add- my dr says my body is not responding to the Estrace, which is why he thinks my lining is not thickening. Also, my bw has come back normal, w/ some of my levels being on track, then rising up, and going back down :'( it is like one big mystery
  • Sorry, I don't have any advice, but I just want to say welcome. I hope you find support from this wonderful board.

DS#1: born Dec 29, 2013 
    TTC#2 since Sept 2014 - unexplained secondary IF
    BFP #2: 11.7.14  M/C: 11.27.14 @ 6w3days
    BFP #3: 04.19.2015 M/C 04.27.15 @ 4w3days
    BFP #4: 10.05.2015 C/P @ 3w4days
    Oct 11, 2015: Cycle 13. Starting Femara (2.5mg). HSG this cycle (all clear) - BFN
    Nov 12, 2015: Cyle 14. Femara 5mg + IUI - BFN
    Dec 10, 2015: Cycle 15. Femara 5mg + IUI #2 - BFP #5! C/P 4w4d
    Jan 10, 2016: Cycle 16. Femara 5mg + IUI #3 - BFN.
    Feb 10, 2016: Cycle 17.  No IUI or meds. Taking a break - Natural BFP Mar 5, 2016!!!! EDD Nov 16, 2016
    Moving to IVF March 2016
    Beta at 10dpo: 21, Beta at 12dpo: 98, Beta at 14dpo: 264, Beta at 16dpo: 745
    U/S 6w6d: single beautiful heartbeat of 121bpm - It's a boy!!!!
    Nov 3, 2016: Our family became complete. Welcome DS #2.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi!

I go to my acupuncture with every cycle. Now do I not know if I would have perfect lining without her too or not as I haven't tried without. 

I go to my acupuncturist after my cycle start and had my first us. She places one on top of my head (to take the pressure off) and one between my eyes. My belly gets quite a few of them, my knees, my feet and my hands. 
    After my second us she places the ones on the feet and hands a little different than the fist time around.

When I have been for my ET or my FET I go back, preferably the same day, but as I am always home late at night due to the travelling that doesn't work. So its between the next two days.
    None in my belly then, just all the points to get circulation going and to get me to relax..the last one I really really need.

I can't tell you if it works or not, as I haven't been monitored without acupuncture. I am skin sore, hate needles, yet I fall asleep or doze off when I am there, so she gets me to relax, which is a big pluss for me. :smile: 

PS checked the picture..those are the places..except for the back..I don't get those :wink: 

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Welcome to the group! During my first FET I had issues with my lining being thin. It only got up to 7.9 before I started PIO to do the transfer. The second FET my lining got up to about 8.4 (which is amazing for me) faster than it got up to 7.9 the first time. The one thing I did differently: For the first transfer I split up my estrace when I started taking more than one. The second time I did them all in the evening. My doc also has me go from 2 to 4 to 6 mg of estrace, does blood work and an ultrasound, the ups it to 8 mg orally and 2 mg twice a day vaginally to get my lining to grow well. I'm surprised that your doc only had you take 4 mg orally. That's hardly any. If I took only 4 mg a day, my lining would also never grow. Hopefully the intramuscular estrogen will be more helpful. Hopefully the acupuncture will help too!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Ladies ladies ladies thank YOU for replying! I find everybody so helpful- and appreciate you taking the time to reply.

tvh1982, thank you. I am beginning my medication hopefully soon. I need this lining to get THICK :)

AandDM2014 - I am sorry I should have been more clear. When on the estrace, I was taking it (for the first few days) 2x day orally. Then, he upped it to 3x a day (1vag, 2 oral) then, 4x a day (2 and 2). It was strange that my lining did not thicken enough, as my bloodwork showed that my levels were consistent, as if the estrace was appearing to "do it's job" in my blood, but doing nothing for my utereus. Today, I go back for my post op apt after the hysteroscopy. I find out today what the plan is. He wants me to start an injectable estrogen (IM) WHAT FUN! More needles! ahah! I am lucky I am not scared of them..

I will keep you girls posted. I hope that my lining can just get thick enough for transfer. It is like being right at the finish line but being unable to cross it.

• thank you very much glad to be here and learn from all you ladies
  • Welcome and sorry you have to be on the IF boards.

I also do acupuncture and all those places, seem to be the places she most often "pins" me.  I go twice a week and will continue to do so until I get a BFP.  Not sure how it works with IVF, as I am not quite there yet.  I do have a friend that did acupuncture during IVF and got her BFP, so I am going with, it works.  I love it, if for nothing more than getting to relax for an hour twice a week.  I also tend to fall asleep or slightly doze off during treatment.   GL!!!

***TW***

Married: May 2012

Me: 38 DH: 38

TTC since August 2014

BFP: March 2015

MC: April 2015 (9 weeks)

Diagnosis: DOR/Low AMH

Dec. 2015-50mg Clomid - BFN

Feb. 2016-IUI #1 100mg Clomid + Ovidrel = BFN

April 2016 - IUI #2 100mg Clomid + Ovidrel = BFN

May 2016 - IUI #3 = BFN

September 2016 - IVF round #1 = BFN

• Jsmorrissey! Thanks so much- I currently go 3x a week (did not start medication, I go to dr today) so, I am going to continue going 3x a week until I go for transfer. I really hope that this helps me uterus. I am literally praying every minute of everyday. I am otherwise healthy, and I have no idea why my uterus won't get where it needs to be. I will update everyone soon- and yes it feels great to relax during it!!!!!!!!!
  • I'm new and listening intently. I'm having my 1st round of IVF (is that even the right way to phrase it) April/May. I have used acupuncture in the past for anxiety and pain relief, so I'm anxious to here how its working for fertility. I'm wondering when is a good time to start? I'm scheduled to begin stims, FX, at the end of April with EG and transfer 2nd week in May. I'm wondering if its beneficial to start now. Thoughts?
    Me & DH - 41, DH has a cyst blocking his tubes, I'm just old.
    IVF #1 scheduled May 2016 - 375/525 follistim, 75 menopur - cancelled cycle Day 6
    IVF #2 scheduled July 2016 - new protocol, switcharoo...IUI June 2016 - BFN
    IVF#3 scheduled August 2016 - estrogen & testosterone primed for 3 wks - ganirelix 7 days leading up to stim - 500 follistim, 75 menopur, 150 clomid , no follicle growth on day 6, stopped injectibles. Scanned day 9 just to check, some growth, 3 days 200 mg clomid, day 12 more growth, 100 follistim, 75 menopur, start ganirelix on day 13, ER = 0 eggs, ovulated to soon ( :( )
    IVF#4 scheduled Sept 2016 - Microdose Flare protocol, cancelled stim day 6 converted to IUI (one dominant follicle)  :(  IUI cancelled ovulated too soon again. Taking a mental health break.
    IVF#5 December 2016 - New protocol, same results. My adventure is over.

• @KirstenCas - From what I'm gathering both on this forum and my own research,  I think that starting  while on your stim meds, is perfect.  And,  going the day of transfer.  :) best of luck,  I am a newbie too 
  • I tried acupuncture for a clomid + TI cycle and for my IUI + injectables. I just didn't find it helped me much, I didn't even feel relaxed or anything. The lady I went to is pretty reputable, I'm just starting IVF stim meds now and I'm wondering if I should go back to her?

Me: 25 (PCO)

DH: 34 (Normal SA)

TTC #1 Feb. 2015 

3 Clomid cycles = BFN

IUI #1 Puregon + Ovidrel = BFN

IVF/ICSI #1 March 2016