May 2016 Moms
Options

Fenugreek product recommendations?

Like many of us as we get closer to our baby being here, I am trying to get ahead in things I will need to buy. Trying to get them now so I don't have to worry about it later.
My Dr recommends I get fenugreek but there are a lot of products to
choose from. Any one have recommendations? I don't care if it's a pill or mix in for drinks, just want the most effective product with the least side effects. 

Re: Fenugreek product recommendations?

• Options
    I loved the Yogi brand Women's Nursing Tea last time post-partum. It contains fenugreek and other supply boosting herbs.
  • Options
    Earth mama angel baby has it too, milkmaid tea. I totally recommend red Gatorade as well. I don't know why but it works. 
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes! I agree with @lionstigersbears. Gatorade definitely works-- and it doesn't make you smell like syrup like fenugreek does. :)
  • Options
    laurenmdrn16laurenmdrn16 member
    edited February 2016
    The syrup smell is so real! I took a fenugreek supplement last time and MH would always say he was craving pancakes. I thought it was weird until I realized I smelled like a Waffle Haus!

ETA: I would recommend a tea vs. pill for the above reason and because the teas have other galactalogues so you get a bigger boost.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    FTM & Google is not loading....what is fenugreek?
  • Options
    Fenugreek is a supplement to boost milk supply.

jjroxtx  May I ask why you are assuming that you will have a low supply?  I only ask because fenugreek can cause GI upset in some newborns.

I did try the Mother's Milk Tea. I liked it, but then again I was so thirsty while nursing/pumping!! I also found whole grains like oats, ground flax seed, and brewer's yeast to be helpful - great for cookies or muffins!   and drink, drink, drink!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    I had a low supply with my first, and used fenugreek - pill supplement and mother's milk tea. It definitely worked, I was able to continue for 6 mths, and build a freezer supply. I definitely felt the tea worked better.
  • Options
     When I wrote this it was assumed I would deliver early and I actually did.  I had the baby last night at 29 weeks so my body isn't quite ready to produce milk yet 
  • Options
    Wow, congrats!  How is your LO?  How are you feeling?
  • Options
    @jjroxtx Wow! How are you and baby doing? And congratulations! If you want to try to coax your body towards breastfeeding, do as much skin to skin as possible/whenever it is possible and try power pumping in addition to supplements. Power pumping is pumping 10 min, rest 10 minutes, repeat for an hour. It's good at signaling to the breast that there's a high demand for milk and gets oxytocin flowing. To take advantage of the body's naturally high breastfeeding hormones time, do it early, early in the morning like 4am if possible. Good luck!
  • Options
    Congrats @jjroxtx !

@kbrands7, and other successful breast feeding moms, would you be interested in starting a thread with tips like the above? I struggled so much last time and I feel like I've learned a lot just from the one off comments from some of you. I know it's all on kellymom, but sometimes it's easier to absorb anecdotes from people that have worked for them personally.  Gearing myself up for a second attempt that's longer than 3 months, so selfishly I could personally use all the advice I can get!
  • Options
    Congratulations @jjroxtx - how are you feeling? how is baby doing?
  • Options
    @Bltbear82 Absolutely! I think @araecasey either started one a while back, or talked about starting one. If there's one, I'll dig it up;  if not, we can start a q&a/tips thread.
  • Options
    Congrats!! Hope lo is doing ok?? Please share pics and birth story as you can as I know I speak for several of us when I say we are addicted to them ;) 

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    @jjroxtx Congrats!  I hope you and baby are doing well.
  • Options
    @jjroxtx Oh mama, what a ride you're on! Congratulations on the birth of your little one :-) I personally have no experience nursing a preemie, and I have no training in it yet, so I don't feel qualified to give advice beyond my own nursing journey, but I'm sending and your babe all my love. Whatever amount of breastmilk you can give your baby is a gift. I will say that keeping close contact with a LC and breastfeeding support group is often crucial for nursing moms of preemies. I can help you get in contact with a support group/person near you if your hospital staff hasn't already done so.

@kbrands7 I haven't started a thread yet, was thinking of having weekly bfing discussion threads starting at the end of the month. Learning about breastfeeding can be overwhelming, I was thinking it would be easier to digest if we break it up over a few weeks instead of dumping all of it into one thread. What do you think?
  • Options
    Bltbear82 said:
    Congrats @jjroxtx !

@kbrands7, and other successful breast feeding moms, would you be interested in starting a thread with tips like the above? I struggled so much last time and I feel like I've learned a lot just from the one off comments from some of you. I know it's all on kellymom, but sometimes it's easier to absorb anecdotes from people that have worked for them personally.  Gearing myself up for a second attempt that's longer than 3 months, so selfishly I could personally use all the advice I can get!
    Not selfish at all! Turns out mammals learn to breastfeed from each other, not from texts and websites. Those are helpful resources, but they're not a replacement for shared experiences. Three months of breast milk is nothing to pooh pooh; that's something to be proud of. <3
  • Options

@kbrands7 I haven't started a thread yet, was thinking of having weekly bfing discussion threads starting at the end of the month. Learning about breastfeeding can be overwhelming, I was thinking it would be easier to digest if we break it up over a few weeks instead of dumping all of it into one thread. What do you think?
    I agree that it's a good idea to pace the information, I'm wondering though if we should still keep it in one thread for ease of searching/possible pinning.
  • Options
    @jjroxtx That's good to hear. FX for an uneventful/productive nicu stay and a swift recovery!
  • Options
    Thanks @araecasey! My goal was 6 months but we struggled so much that I was happy with 3 months. I feel like I'm much better prepared this time, so fingers crossed I can do it!