September 2015 Moms
Options

when to get a puppy

we are wanting to get a new puppy and want it to grow up with LO. I was just wondering in previous experience when is the best time to add a pet with a baby should we wait until she can walk and talk? she already loves the dog we have our German shepherd and she loves any dog we see. we already know we are getting a Rottweiler we want a guardian for our family and have done plenty of research on breeds and we feel it's the best choice for our family.  we love big dogs our previous dogs were 125 lb mastiffs and our shepherd is 95lbs. anyone have any experience on puppies and babies?

Re: when to get a puppy

• Options
    Following!! My dog passed away a month before DS was born and he was born on National K9 day.... So I HAVE to get another dog right? It's a sign. I miss having a dog so badly!! My cat passed away 10/1 so we have been petless for the first time in 15 years and it's terrible :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We got our Bluetick Coonhound mix when my niece was 6 months old. They were around each other a lot, and I think that's why he is sooo good with babies/kids. 

I agree with pp that mixes are often better pets/easy to train. But you've had big dogs before, so I'm sure you know all about that.

We crate trained our puppy. Until he was fully (day and night) house trained, he was in a crate unless supervised. So, over a year. He did not have accidents in the house. He went outside before and after going in the kennel, and anytime he went near the door. This also meant we always had eyes on him and could correct his behaviour before habits formed. He was fully grown before we had kids, but has never damaged their toys, not even Sophie.

I would wait til you have time to devote to a dog. If you're home with baby, this might be a good time for you. For me, that's going to be when LO is around 2. Our dog will be 11, and I plan to overlap our vacation time so that someone can be home with the puppy for at least a month. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Lurker from N15!

we have a 21 month old, a 3 month old and a 8 month old puppy Great Dane. The 21 month old and the dog are best buddies. Since we brought he home she slept in his toddler bed with him and cuddled with him. She is very gentle with him when he is sitting on her or pulling her tail. She does chew on his stuffed animals but she's a puppy still and they do that. She is in her crate if she is not supervised. We learned from our mistake of her chewing up our stuff!! I wanted a puppy so the kids have someone to grow up with and it seems to be working for us. She is playful and gentle with our kids. Great Danes only life like 7-8 years so my kids will be heartbroken when she does, which is one of the reasons why I didn't want to get a dog because I didn't want my kids to experience that. 
  • Options
    I don't disagree with @missliz53 but I would say three/four years for the kiddos before getting a puppy. I worked at a Humane Society and so so so many young dogs got returned because the owners simply didn't have the time and/or resources to deal with housebreaking, obedience training, socialization, and healthcare. 

I wholeheartedly agree with looking for an older shelter dog that has a known background. 
  • Options
    I love rotties, my dad's female was super good with/ protective of my baby brothers, that being said, I missed having a puppy until I watched my friends' for a weekend, I was very very excited to give him back at the end of it, and that was before I had a baby... They are a TON of work, I know you've had dogs but u forget how much work a puppy is, my German Shepard is only 3 and I was completely taken aback by how much work it was... Maybe try watching someone else's puppy for like a week or so as an experiment to see how it is keeping up with both, put an ad out there to puppy sit or something... I just wouldn't dive in head first with the baby, I couldn't do it.
  • Options
    @mcandice16 please, please, please don't let your kids sit on your puppy or pull her tail. I know you say she is being very gentle with them, but all it takes is one time too many and it ends in tragedy for everyone involved. You have no idea how many dogs have bit their family's kids because nobody caught the warning signs. I also worked at a humane society and dogs that bite kids are put to sleep, I don't know of any rescues that will take a dog that bites children unless the dog came from there originally. Not to mention the psychological and physical trauma that kids go through after being bit. 
  • Options
    My kids are begging for a dog.  I'd be ok with never getting one but feel they deserve the experience if they're responsible.  Not kidding, thinking of waiting til DD1 is 10, which is in 3 years.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I got our second puppy and found out I was pregnant with LO later that same week... our dogs are so surprisingly good with LO! Of course I keep a close eye on them but they are gentle with her, don't play rough near her and always want to lay by her rock n play. I have been very surprised especially because we have a Wheaten so she is crazy high energy. That being said, it is a TON of work to do baby and puppy together. Even just the small stuff like how do I walk the dogs when it's too cold to take LO outside or how do I keep them from barking so she doesn't wake up! I love our little clan but it definitely is a lot to do a baby and puppy together... I can't imagine having to house train a dog right now, but do what's best for you, every family is different.
  • Options
    My dog was my baby for 5 years before having my baby. I love my dog, but I wish I wouldn't have ever gotten her. She's a German shorthair mix, so high energy. It has been nothing but hell dealing with her and baby. She's jealous of baby, super needy and has now learned how to jump a 6 foot fence. So I can't put her in the yard when someone comes over because she gets out. I can't keep get in the house because she gets excited and steps on baby if she's on the floor playing. I can't crate her because she screams and wakes or scares the baby. I never understood how people would get rid of their dog once they had kids until now, when I want to give her to someone who can give her the attention she needs. But hubby won't let me, even though I'm the one that deals with it all day, not him.