November 2016 Moms
Options

The odds of NOT having an early MC

These percentages seem to be a staple on a lot of month boards, and I think it's pretty comforting to reference in the first trimester. Posting it here in case it's helpful for anyone else.

ProgressProbability of NOT having a miscarriage
3W, 0D67%
3W, 1D67.10%
3W, 2D67.40%
3W, 3D68%
3W, 4D68.70%
3W, 5D69.70%
3W, 6D70.80%
4W, 0D72%
4W, 1D73.50%
4W, 2D74.80%
4W, 3D76.40%
4W, 4D77.90%
4W, 5D79.50%
4W, 6D81.10%
5W, 0D82.70%
5W, 1D84.20%
5W, 2D85.60%
5W, 3D87%
5W, 4D88.30%
5W, 5D89.50%
5W, 6D90.60%
6W, 0D91.60%
6W, 1D92.50%
6W, 2D93.40%
6W, 3D94.10%
6W, 4D94.70%
6W, 5D95.30%
6W, 6D95.70%
7W, 0D96.10%
7W, 1D96.50%
7W, 2D96.80%
7W, 3D97%
7W, 4D97.20%
7W, 5D97.40%
7W, 6D97.50%
8W, 0D97.60%
8W, 1D97.70%
8W, 2D97.80%
8W, 3D97.80%
8W, 4D97.90%
8W, 5D97.90%
8W, 6D97.90%
9W, 0D97.90%
9W, 1D (and on)98%+
Me: 29, DH: 31
Married: October 2014
Began TTC: April 2015
BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

Re: The odds of NOT having an early MC

• Options
    thanks for posting this :) 
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    This isn't the same stats I found last time but these are way better so I'm going to go with it! 

ETA or it is, but as a STM it seems way less scary. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    This isn't the same stats I found last time but these are way better so I'm going to go with it! 

Right?!? Maybe we read it the wrong way... Or something. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options

Right?!? Maybe we read it the wrong way... Or something. 
    I think I was just much more freaked - I found the old site I used, and it's the same stats. I guess I am more sane this time - go figure.
    https://spacefem.com/pregnant/mc.php?m=08&d=10&y=12

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Yay! Thanks for posting!
  • Options
    Love this <3 Thanks for posting!

Me: 27 - DH: 33

Married: June 2011

TTC #1: January 2016

BFP #1: February 22nd 2016  MC w/ Misoprostol: March 21st 2016 -Blighted Ovum

BFP #2: July 6th 2016  EDD: March 15th 2017

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

M17 October Siggy Challenge: Animals in Costumes

• Options
    I definitely needed to read this! Thank you for posting it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    @KilgraveMadeMeDoIt , you had me at evidenced based <3

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Thank you for posting this!  :)
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing! I get way too stupidly obsessed with my hcg numbers anyway. 
  • Options
    tygitygi member
    I SO needed this. Thank you! In a time when "Dr. Google" can be a downer, this positive perspective is welcomed!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    whaatwhaat member
    So I've been thinking about this more and, to clarify (I might be wrong) I think these numbers are true *assuming all is well at that timepoint*. For example, if you see your doc on that day and they say everything is fine, then these are your odds. I don't think it makes sense to use these numbers before you've seen someone or know what's going on.
    is this correct?
  • Options
    kns1988kns1988 member
    edited March 2016
    @whaat and others, I'm curious as to why people think there's harm in believing these numbers. I get that it's different for different people based on a number of factors, but I wouldn't think anyone is going to go about their pregnancy any differently based on whether they think they have a 4% chance of MC or a 20% chance. I'm genuinely wondering why this rubs people the wrong way.  

ETA: posting and running. I can't bump at work.

• Options
    I think it's just painful for women who have believed they're in the clear because of the numbers in the past only to find out they're the 2% and had a loss. I think it can bring up memories of heartbreak. Being pregnant after a loss is hard.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Also true @whaat
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    whaatwhaat member
    And to clarify, there's no harm in believing these numbers. As @kns1988 said, you wouldn't behave any other way anyway. I'm just nit picking.  ;)
  • Options
    This is awesome. Thank you for posting this! 

• Options
    Having been through 3 losses myself, I say whatever brings you comfort and eases your anxiety is a good thing! While these statistics weren't favorable for me in the past, they might very well be this time around. I hope they are for all of us.
    Me: 38 l DH: 41
    Gavin - 8/27/10
    *TW*
    Gabriel - 2nd tri loss 5/17/16 Trisomy 18 & 21
    Hope -  2nd tri loss 12/7/16 complications from pneumonia

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    whaatwhaat member
    @thatlauragirl I hope so too!  <3
  • Options
    I've suffered a loss and my GP put it best, it jusy comes down to whatever will be will be. Like pulling names out of a hat. You may never miscarry you may miscarry five times, take it one day at a time and believe in fate. Your body will be ready when it's ready. I'm just relieved to be fertile and loved :)
  • Options
    RiverSong15RiverSong15 member
    edited March 2016
    My issue with these numbers, beyond what @whaat said, is that I don't believe they are from a valid scientific source. If you follow the posts, it looks like this originated from a poster on the Jan 16 board. However, if you follow the links in her post, these numbers are from a random forum/blog post, not a respected medical source. The blog post cites Wikipedia as one of its sources and the numbers are based on one scientific study from 1999 (she cites a second paper, but admits she didn't have full access, which means she read the abstract and called it good enough). They are based on survival rates at 6, 8, and 10 weeks and the daily data are interpolated. 
    I just don't think breaking it down daily is scientifically valid. 

This is is not to say the premise is wrong. Every day that you go without a problem means your odds of miscarriage are lower. Once you see a heartbeat on an ultrasound, the risk drops much lower (5% or less), and once you're in second tri, it's even lower (less than 1%), based on my OB's opinion. Interpolating between those points is much more difficult. From a scientific viewpoint, the rampant re-posting and circulation of information from a non-medical source bothers me a lot. And that has nothing to do with the fact that I was in that 4% group previously.

If seeing your risk drop in a concrete way helps ease your anxiety, great! I just wish people were more aware of what does and does not constitute valid sources of information before passing the information along. This is a gripe I have with social media in general, not just TB.
  • Options
    Riversong, you make a good point. I went in for fertility testing and was freaking out because OMG over 35, and the doctor pretty much did not care about that at all. She had certain tests she wanted to run and was much more interested in the results of the tests than when my birthday was. There are women younger than me who score differently in those tests than me who might be at a higher risk even though they are under 35. You can't always isolate one thing and say it is the deciding factor.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Edited: I can't read

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @kns1988 this is REALLY comforting! Thank you for posting!  <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My issue with these numbers, beyond what @whaat said, is that I don't believe they are from a valid scientific source. If you follow the posts, it looks like this originated from a poster on the Jan 16 board. However, if you follow the links in her post, these numbers are from a random forum/blog post, not a respected medical source. The blog post cites Wikipedia as one of its sources and the numbers are based on one scientific study from 1999 (she cites a second paper, but admits she didn't have full access, which means she read the abstract and called it good enough). They are based on survival rates at 6, 8, and 10 weeks and the daily data are interpolated. 
    I just don't think breaking it down daily is scientifically valid. 

This is is not to say the premise is wrong. Every day that you go without a problem means your odds of miscarriage are lower. Once you see a heartbeat on an ultrasound, the risk drops much lower (5% or less), and once you're in second tri, it's even lower (less than 1%), based on my OB's opinion. Interpolating between those points is much more difficult. From a scientific viewpoint, the rampant re-posting and circulation of information from a non-medical source bothers me a lot. And that has nothing to do with the fact that I was in that 4% group previously.

If seeing your risk drop in a concrete way helps ease your anxiety, great! I just wish people were more aware of what does and does not constitute valid sources of information before passing the information along. This is a gripe I have with social media in general, not just TB.
    All of this ^^^^^

Thank you @RiverSong15 for clearly articulating what I was thinking. I value evidence-based statistics, but Ive seen so many different statistics even just about the overall chance of MC-everything from 15% to 33%. Some stats lump all 35+ women into one category, even though the MC rate for a 35 year old is considerably lower than for a 40 year old. It's hard to know what to believe and this is why it's so hard to count on these statistics for comfort. At least for me and the way my brain works.
  • Options
    RiverSong15, good point. I'm usually someone who gets really irritated by pseudo-scientific studies and by misrepresentation of data, so I wrestled with myself before posting this and before defending it. For me, though, it comes down to it being something that comforts me so I went ahead and posted it. 

• Options
    KRMcDKRMcD member
    Since we've already determined that we are unsure of the accuracy of these stats, my question probably doesn't have an answer.  BUT.

Are these the odds of giving birth to a baby with a heartbeat, or odds of being able to take your baby home from the hospital?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    @KRMcD - these are theoretical odds of a pregnancy continuing. No guarantees of how many weeks the pregnancy will go, or potential for complications after delivery. You can find the original table here:

https://spacefem.com/pregnant/mc.php?m=08&d=10&y=12

The the author extrapolated data from a couple of papers (one of which she did not have full access to) and specifically states that the chart is her assumptions and that the numbers are an estimate - not scientific data. 

Edit - spelling
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Love this!  Thanks
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker