May 2016 Moms

Maternity jeans after labor.

Hi ladies!
Wow I haven't posted in a while. I hope all of you are doing well and your pregnancies are progressing well and healthy. 
I was thinking after labor- what do you all think about continuing to wear maternity jeans for a good month to hold it all in like those belts that they sell? 
Or even wear the belt in addition to the waistband on the jeans/pants? 

This is my first pregnancy so I don't know how my body will react after or how it will bounce back. 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Maternity jeans after labor.

• Loading the player...
  • Do what comes comfortable!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, if I had known how comfy maternity jeans were, I would have started wearing them long before pregnancy.

I have a pretty long torso and always wear longer shirts that cover up the tummy band part, so you really can't tell that they aren't regular skinny jeans.
  • No experience (FTM) but I honestly plan on living in my yoga pants and gym shorts while on leave. Probably even if I end up going out. I plan on being all about comfort... I don't plan on going anywhere where I have to look nice and everyone else can just deal. :)
  • Yeah, it took me almost a solid year convince myself to wear non-maternity jeans again, and that was long after they would have fit again.  I'm not sure I'll ever go back this time around...
  • VS2016VS2016 member
    edited February 2016
    Who would ever want to go back to regular pants again? lol. That's why I'm convinced most older women's pants are elastic waste bands.  
    I just took my maternity sweat pants out of my tote today and I'm in love.  Yes maternity sweat pants are a thing and they are glorious!!!!!! :)
  • I was hoping I could at least go back to some of the ones with a partial/elastic waist band instead of the full band. I'm sure spanks will be my best friend while wearing dresses, although I don't look forward to that with it being summer and all. 
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I know that I'm among the minority here, but I hate maternity clothes- extremely tired of constantly pulling jeans/yoga pants up and shirts down.  My bump is low so there's nothing for the maternity bottoms to hang on to.  Whenever I don't have to go out, I live in my old pj bottoms and workout shorts.

I'm praying that I can get back into my old clothes ASAP after the kid is born... I miss my normal clothes so much!!!
  • I put all my maternity clothes away when I got home from the hospital with my first as motivation. I wore yoga/workout pants the first few weeks then squeezed back into regular clothes. I plan to do the same this time. I won't dare go out in public in a bathing suit or anything but I have no plans to hold on to my maternity clothes any longer than necessary. 
  • yogahh said:
    I guess I'm the only one that doesn't find maternity pants comfy. The jeans all tend to start sagging in my crotch midday! I'm hoping to just wear yoga pants, comfy pjs and maxi dresses this summer. 
    I hate my maternity jeans. They'll be packed up shortly after I get home after baby. They're more comfy than my regular jeans sure, but give me a pair of leggings or yoga pants over jeans any day. I don't usually wear dresses and skirts, but honestly I'd rather even wear that at this point.

I literally only bought jeans to be able to wear something acceptable to work. Our dress code is very casual, but I don't think they would appreciate leggings and yoga pants as much as I do.
  • As much as I love my maternity jeans/pants, pants are getting hard. I need to get some dresses. But then I need some decent shoes for said dresses and its still kinda winter where I am. Blah
  • I don't ever want to give these up!!  I may just be a convert for life...
  • I can't wait until I can fit my old clothes! Even my old skinny jeans. I understand why some people love their maternity clothes but I miss the structure of my pre pregnancy clothes. I don't like tight clothes but I do love structured dresses, jackets, and great high waisted pants. They're most flattering on me. Maternity clothes make me look and feel frumpy. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • yogahh said:
    I guess I'm the only one that doesn't find maternity pants comfy. The jeans all tend to start sagging in my crotch midday! I'm hoping to just wear yoga pants, comfy pjs and maxi dresses this summer. 
    Don't you work for jcrew? The only real pair of maternity jeans I have is from there, and I love them so much. I wore them for the first time for Thanksgiving, when I didn't really need them otherwise, and fell in love! Not saggy at all!
  • I'm still in my regular jeans and don't see that changing before baby is here.  They are far more comfy than any maternity pants I have anyway. 
  • Pascal86 said:
    yogahh said:
    Don't you work for jcrew? The only real pair of maternity jeans I have is from there, and I love them so much. I wore them for the first time for Thanksgiving, when I didn't really need them otherwise, and fell in love! Not saggy at all!
    Glad you like them!!! I prefer a full panel though which we don't have yet so they weren't the most comfortable for me. But I know that a lot of people love them! 

cat fail animated GIF

• Dreaming of flowy dresses and yoga pants for the summer. Definitely planning on using a shaper ASAP after baby comes (already have it stashed away). But I will be sad to see maternity jeans go and will probably wear them over the summer. Hoping to be back in regular jeans by the fall. Seeing as I'm literally all belly as of right now I'm not sure how realistic that is.
  • I could technically fit back into my pre-pregnancy jeans about two weeks after birth (which was the first time I tried) but I had major muffin top because things were still very soft and my c-section scar rubbed against the waistband so I wore maternity jeans for about two-three months after birth.  Since it will be summer by the time I think I'll even attempt to squeeze into jeans, I just plan on wearing dresses and leggings for the first few months post-partum this time.  

Some maternity pants are very comfy at the waist but I, too, do not like the saggy crotch/butt or the fact that I'm having to constantly pull them up so I will be happy to get back to normal pants.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • With my first (a July baby), I gained a lot of weight. I went back to work at 6 weeks still up 20 lbs from my normal weight. My maternity clothes never worked after giving birth. I just had to buy some standard pieces sized up until I lost the baby weight. I constantly hear about women still wearing their maternity duds after giving birth, but it just did not work for me.

Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • Maternity clothes 4 lyfe.

With DD, I was back to pre-pregnancy weight by around 3-4 months postpartum. But I was shaped totally differently (hips way wider)! I had to keep wearing maternity pants until I finally broke down and invested in some larger sized work pants. But with a CS it was nice to have the stretchy bands on work pants for a while after I went back! :)

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• @yogahh
    Definitely not the only one!  :) They bother me after a short time of wearing them as well. I constantly have to pull them up and fix the crotch area. Plus the band itself can be extremely itchy at times. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My maternity jeans are always falling off of me after having baby! The belly gets sooooo stretched out and the jeans won't stay on anymore. I like to wear stretchy yoga pants, leggings, etc. after baby comes. 
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't enjoyed maternity pants. My work pants aren't the full panel because I didn't think they'd be comfortable. They fit fine for the first 15 minutes of wearing them after a wash, then they just fall down ALL DAY LONG! I also ordered low panel jeans, sent those suckers right back. My normal jeans still fit (most of them) so I haven't ordered any more. I might order one pair of full panel just incase, but that's it. I sure hope I don't have to keep wearing maternity clothes much after birth.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • I hate all pants that aren't leggings or yoga pants, but I really hate maternity pants and jeans. I have yet to find a style that is comfortable from when I put them on until the end of the day. How is it so hard to make a good pair? I can't wait until it's a little bit warmer and I can wear dresses without tights again. 
  • Urg I wore jeans today. Already super irritated since the crotch keeps falling down so my thighs are rubbing!!!. But I figure I can't wear leggings everyday right???

cat fail animated GIF

• Because I'm so small I have yet to wear a pair of maternity pants. Bought some online but had to return them in store because they were still too big. I can't seem to find and size 0 maternity pants. I've been wearing leggings and getting away with a few old pairs of the very low rise jeans that were very popular years ago. As long as I wear a long enough shirt they work. Since baby will be born late May and it gets quite hot here in OK I will probably live in my gym shorts and collection of nerdy t-shirts. Maybe a sundress for church...  
  • @okcountrygirl
    I'm a size 0 also- it was hard for me to find pants as well. I purchased a pair at motherhood maternity and they were baggy. 
    I ended up going to pea in a pod and shelled out some big bucks for some designer jeans. I got denim jeans and black pants for work. I've worn them throughout the entire pregnancy up until now. I'm avoiding wearing pants because I sit at work and I don't like the feeling of something tight pressing into my uterus. 

But...if you do want pants- those are good to get. You can go online to pea in a pod and they have discounted pants there. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited March 2016
    Ditto to the maternity jeans for LYFE post. 

That being said, I've figured out that (for me) it really depends on the jean. Skinny jeans are horribly baggy in the front and crotch area and the panels don't provide much support at all to my stomach. And I've tried more than a few different brands at this point. I was most disappointed over the Old Navy jeans...I looooooove their Rockstar skinnies (particularly the jeggings), but the maternity version just does not work on me at all. 

Bootcut jeans, on the other hand, fit me really well right now. And the full panel actually makes my abdomen feel a little better than it did before. The brands I've mostly been wearing are Wallflowers and Indigo Blue, which I ordered through Motherhood. I'm really hoping they'll last me through post-partum and maybe even for a little bit beyond, because they are sooooo comfy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker