March 2015 Moms
Options

Almost a year old and STILL not sleeping through the night.

My daughter still wakes up twice a night and one of those times has to have a bottle. I've tried everything and I can't seem to break the habit! Cry it out hasn't worked, she'll cry for well over an hour before I finally break down and go in. I've also tried weaning her off the night feeding by gradually lessening the ounces and if I do that she wakes again about 30 minutes later wanting another bottle. She has only slept through the night maybe twice her whole life and by now I always thought for sure she would be but her sleeping habits have never changed and I'm exhausted. I feel like by now everyone else's babies are sleeping til morning. The weird thing is is that she goes to bed on her own every night, falling asleep without incident by herself in her crib. I never pick her up at bedtime or during the night and she seems to be just fine with that. I'm so confused as to what to do, any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: Almost a year old and STILL not sleeping through the night.

• Options
    Is your baby still on formula my son did the same thing he is 11 months old I took him off the formula and took his bottle at 10 months and since then he has slept through the night it's kinda crazy if you think about it maybe it was just one of those crazy moments but once I did that he slept through the night. I tired everything to get him to sleep I know how hard it can be.... So hey why not. also instead of givin her milk try just giving her water in her bottle some baby will not even want to wake up if it's something they don't think is worth it ??? Or you could down grade her milk say if you give her 5oz in a normal bottle try during the night 2 oz
  • Options
    My baby is still waking up throughout the night. We are going to try cry it out after he turns one. No real advice since I am going through the same thing but you are not alone. Hang in there!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My son still nurses 1-2 times every night. It's frustrating, but he drinks a significant amount each time so I feel like he needs the milk.
  • Options
    Katiefilm1Katiefilm1 member
    edited February 2016
    @devinsmommy31115 That's kinda how I feel! She's below average weight for her age and she does drink a whole 6oz bottle in the middle of the night (very quickly), so part of me feels guilty and like maybe she really needs it. Even though I've read and been told many times that babies our age no longer need night feelings it's just more out of habit.
  • Options
    @riquelhensom Thanks for the advice! Yes she's now still on formula, I think I'm going to give the water suggestion and try to see if that helps.
  • Options
    @crsanchez87 thanks for the support! Yeah it's hard because it's like, how long do you let them cry for? Sometimes she can cry over an hour and then I feel really bad and like it's too long! Even for cry it out...but then I think she probably knows I'll come in sooner or later! It's so hard knowing what the right thing to do is and feeling like you're the only mom who has an almost one year old still waking up at night. Good luck to you! :)
  • Options
    @riquelhensom how do you take the bottle away? My daughter won't hardly drink out of a sippy cup or a regular cup that much and I try a lot. @Katiefilm1 my daughter would do that and I started feeding her more formula before she went to bed
  • Options
    I recommend the ferber book "solve your child's sleep problems".  Some people only associate him with the ferber method of increased waiting times - which I think can be a more doable plan than straight crying it out and then giving up - but he is a sleep expert and talk about some sleep issues children can have.  You could read up on 'confusional events' and see if that sounds like what your child is having, but it sounds like she's just used to being fed at night.  He talks about being used to feedings at a certain time and how that can cause night wakings.  It recommends extending time between feedings gradually until you drop them.  I read the no cry sleep solution and good night sleep tight also and recommend any of these books, but I think ferber would help you the most.  I think on the bright side this problem might be very solvable because your child goes to sleep on their own so they must have some self soothing skills.  Oh I also would recommend trying a video monitor if you don't have one.  Sometimes babies make crying sounds in the night - usually between sleep cycles - but they are not really awake and going in can wake them more.  Good luck!