September 2015 Moms

Pronouncing name wrong

Just had to rant real quick. Everywhere I go people notice my son so they say hello and ask what his name is. I make sure to say Kaicen with a sharp K everytime because people often get Tyson out of it. Today a lady asked and I made a point to say the K ever so sharply I actually thought to myself before she responded 'oh wow I said it so clear maybe this will be the first person to get it!!' Then she looks at babes and you guessed it said "hi Tyson!!!" I know people can't help it but ugh. I'm not sure how to make it any more clear other than spelling out his name. Anyone else have this issue lol

Re: Pronouncing name wrong

• Yes!! Our son's name is Rhett and I always make sure to enunciate the 'T' but people some how get Brett, Rex, Red, etc. out of it. I have to reference Rhett Butler for them to understand, and then further explain that he was NOT named after Rhett Butler. It's not that difficult people, pay attention! 
  • I lose my mind... I mean how hard is it to say Zen-Day-A
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey! I like that name its unique. I have that problem but with my in-laws. My twins are Alan & Adriel. But they prounounce Alan with a short A & a short N rather than a long A & a long N in Spanish. In spanish you kind of drag Alan out a bit. & then they call Adriel, Ariel. Im like dude. Ariel in english is the little mermaid & in spanish Ariel is a mexican detergent which my son is neither lol. Everytime we see them I have to correct them & not even spelling it out for them helps. I get your frustration.
  • Haha, I was just talking to my sister about this yesterday. I named my daughter Philippa, after my dad, but his whole family can't pronounce it. Felip-a? Phil-pa? Flip-a? I really didn't think it would be that hard.... but we call her Pippa. Which has been Piper, Tippa, who knew? 
  • Sometimes. My daughter is Adalynne and when it's written, like at her doctors, they were saying Adaline. I thought it was pretty clear with the Lynne on the end!

Hope it doesn't happen too much In life for her!
  • My sons name is Mason and people always hear it as Nathan. I feel bad because I know he's gonna be dealing with it when he's older.
    I get it all the time. People will be like "And your name?" And I will say Jillian and they will be like "Ok, Julian". It drives me crazy. Mainly because Julian reminds me of The Trailer Park Boys ... Ahaha 
  • heft619 said:
    Sometimes. My daughter is Adalynne and when it's written, like at her doctors, they were saying Adaline. I thought it was pretty clear with the Lynne on the end!

Hope it doesn't happen too much In life for her!
    Oh it will. I am Caroline and my daughter is Adeline and we both get Carolyn and Adalyn. Both of our names end with the word (and spelling!) line! It shouldn't be so hard, but it is. I know it's not huge, but it drives me bonkers! I have gotten it my whole life. It's annoying, but I deal. 
  • Everyone gets our Tatum wrong too! It's pretty easy Tay-tum... But we get Tat-um too. And DH's grandma pretends she can't say it at all. She'll spell it out or say Tat-rum. Then we're constantly getting references to Channing Tatum.... No, I did not name my daughter after Magic Mike lol. His grandma and extended family also intentionally say my name wrong. It's Alyssa, pronounced like Melissa with no M. But they all call me Alisha, Alicia, or even Alyson. I've been with DH for 11 years, so they've had plenty of time to learn my name 
  • It's our last name that gets BOTCHED daily. My kid is going to wear out pronouncing her last name. I already am and I've only had it two years. 
  • My son's name is August and people are forever like, "AUGUST?!?" A-holes...
  • I get the pet peeve.  I grew up with people constantly mispronouncing my name and I hated it.  I'm pretty certain it resulted from the fact that it was a relatively uncommon name.  Oddly enough it recently made a list of 2016 best girl names and I'm seeing it more and more commonly on the bump.  Now that people hear it more they tend to get it right.

However, it was a big part of the reason why I was adamant that I wanted easily recognizable names for my boys. I pushed hard for Thomas this time around (ended up as the middle name) and my top girl name is Mary lol. 
  • I get it all the time too. My husband named our son Jacoby. Ja-co-bee. We hear Jacob with a y on the end all the time... Like Jacob-e. I always correct them the because I get that name isn't that common. However, the way people react I can't stand. It isn't like I named my kid Turnip or
    somehing equally strange. 
  • adeckard2014adeckard2014 member
    edited February 2016
    I hear ya girl. We get the same thing. @mistycray
  • I love the name August! I especially like the shortened version Auggie. That would have been a contender for boy name if i found out I was having a boy.
  • We get Ally all the time for Atley...drives me crazy...
  • Here's my problem. People are STUPID! LOL They don't listen or they don't pay attention. They do it with every name! I mean, don't go picking 'easy names' just so people say it correct. People will mess up every name. LOL My sons name is Carter. I say "Carter, like the President" now because people keep saying, "Harder??" What I'm saying sounds JUST like Carter. LOL People are idiots. My name is so basic. It has been messed up my ENTIRE life!! People get letters in there that are no where close to my name. 
  • I agree with @LoveLee85 people are just stupid. So far I haven't had issues with DD's name (Sadie) but DS is Felix. People call him "Pheonix" and I don't get it at all. How is "Phoenix" more common than "Felix"?!??

As for me, I always feet called Brenda and I don't get that either. My maiden name is a phonetically spelled, Ukrainian last name and yet it caused so many issues growing up. I couldn't wait to get married to change it lol.
  • My daughters name is Raylee and her pediatrician calls her Riley... Erks me every time!!
  • Yep, our girls name is Mila (Meal-a) and when people see it in writing they say "My-lah" ugh.
  • My daughter is Brienne and people call her Brianne or Brianna.  My cousin, whose daughters name is Brielle, actually tried to pronounce my daughters name Bree-Nee.  Um no.  Bree-en.  Not that hard.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with @LoveLee85 people are just stupid. So far I haven't had issues with DD's name (Sadie) but DS is Felix. People call him "Pheonix" and I don't get it at all. How is "Phoenix" more common than "Felix"?!??

As for me, I always feet called Brenda and I don't get that either. My maiden name is a phonetically spelled, Ukrainian last name and yet it caused so many issues growing up. I couldn't wait to get married to change it lol.
    My maiden name is a country. Easy to spell and pronounce. Very popular. People travel there all the time. It has also been messed up my entire life! So crazy! When we make reservation, they can never find my name(even when I spell it over the phone?!). So I have them check to see if it was spelled with a V, D, or a B instead and they are like ohhhhhh here it is. So crazy. Lol. 
  • weaverincweaverinc member
    edited February 2016
    We are going through this now with our son Rhys (pronounced Reece but it's the old Welch spelling). He's been called Rice on a regular basis ( who names their kid Rice????) and our doctors office calls him Rise. He has a super easy middle name so I guess if he gets tired of correcting people he can always go by his middle name.

Edit: can't spell today 
  • I actually know a little girl named Rice! It actually suits her- lol. 
  • I've been through this my whole life- but because my mom named me a really old Czech name. It's Kirstien, pronounced Keers-chen", but even when I read it I don't think the spelling gives away the pronounciation. I get called Kirsten, Christine, even Christina. I've been correcting people my whole life and eventually shortened it (not legally), to Kirsti. Even going by Kirsti (Curse-tea), I get called Christy all the time. I named my daughter Charlotte, thinking nobody could mispronounce that, but I've had a few people pronounce her name "Char-lotty" or "char-LOTT". I don't really understand 
  • I totally understand what you are all going through. I fell in love with the name Amalie back when I was in highschool. My husband and I decided that if we ever had a gorl, that would be her name. While I was pregnant I started to second guess it because of the different pronunciation from country to country (it's more popular in Europe than the U.S.) and thought about going with Amelia instead. However, he still loved the name Amalie so we went with it. We pronounce it ah-mah-lee. Most people won't even try to say it or if they do they say ah-mah-knee. Some will have me spell it and then say, "you should have thought about the spelling because it doesn't match up." How? The name is old and I stuck with the traditional spelling. It's just weird to me.
    My name hasn't been any better lately. I talk with people all over the country due to my job and most people hear Peggy when I say my name. I have also gotten honey, tiny, and heather. People have called me heather my whole life though. It's like they can't grasp the name heidi. 

• My daughter's name is Violet, a pretty easy name. More than one person has thought I said "VioleNt" ... Nope. Lol
  • @katythelady22 DD is also a Violet, I hate when people go "violent?!" I was ready for the color/flower jokes but not that one, I feel your pain mama! Lol
  • My older son is Ezra and some how the Drs office butchered it for a while. They would always call him a girl because it ends in a. The best was Ez-a-Ray. I just wanted to scream! They finally have it right now. 
  • weaverinc said:
    We are going through this now with our son Rhys (pronounced Reece but it's the old Welch spelling). He's been called Rice on a regular basis ( who names their kid Rice????) and our doctors office calls him Rise. He has a super easy middle name so I guess if he gets tired of correcting people he can always go by his middle name.

Edit: can't spell today 
    Ohhh Rhys is my top boy name for our next kiddo! 
  • You wouldn't change it though- right? If you could go back 5-6 months and pick any name would you keep it? 

My sister named her kid Niall but pronounces it "neel." She hates that people pronounce it Nile. I asked her if she could go back would she change it and she says no.
  • Maybe you can say, his name is Kai...short for Kaicen.  I dunno!  Nice name, though!
  • My LO is Micah...  Why this woman at his peds office always says "Me-Kiyah" is beyond me. And she thinks he's a girl. I guess I can get that because Micah can go either way but seriously lady, get the name right!
  • Even with traditional names people can be strange. LO is Adelaide. Old name, traditional spelling. But if I introduce her in person I get the whole gamut of different sounds and endings when they repeat it. I just tell people at the start now, "this is Adelaide, we call her Addie". No one has had a problem saying or remembering Addie lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have the same problem. Our son's name is Seth and everyone thinks we are saying Zach. DH and I don't have accents and we both speak clearly but a LOT of people have made this mistake. It's so frustrating! 
  • So my dd's name is Rosalie, at the pediatrician the other day the nurse kept calling her rose Marie, I kept correcting her nicely to make sure it wasn't someone else's chart and she asked me if I had thought of using an accent mark... Wtf? Where does pronunciation come in to the completely wrong name!
  • My son's name is Caleb, which a lot of people pronounce as Cay-lip....this drives me crazy!
  • Even with simple names people will still do this. My name is Shelby and on many many occasions I've had people call me "Shelly" and "Michelle."
  • My daughter's name is Coralie, pronounced Cora-lee, but we get a fair number of Cora-lye. i get it, I mean, lie is pronounced with a long i sound, but names like Katie are Kay-tee, when the word tie has a long i sound too. Seriously, her name follows grammatical conventions, say it right!