June 2016 Moms
Options

Shower RSVPs Help!

Has anyone else been dealing with baby shower RSVPs being a nightmare?

My host doesnt know a lot of the people (of course almost every single non-reply person is on DHs side.) so the guest list has been one part i've been decently involved in. RSVP date is today and we are missing 18 out of 70 people! I need to submit the final number and i need to iron out the people who go together at tables for the seating chart for my host so she can go there this week and choose the table layout with the venue and finish what she needs to finish as far as name cards go.

I could use some thoughts on how to proceed with each group of non-RSVPers.

Out of towners - What is the sort of norm with out of town quests. We are noticing a handful of the people who have not RSVPd are the people who live a long drive or a plane ride away. Should we assume they arent coming or do we call each one?

Maybes - What about people who keep giving vague responses, How do we gently and kindly tell them that we need an answer and cant really accept maybes any longer. Also it still endlessly shocks me that there are people who dont get the concept of needing to RSVP when given an official printed invitation and RSVP date.

Family with Kids - Through the grapevine [they asked their mother, who asked my MIL, who asked my host, who went over it with me]  we were asked what the deal was with kids coming and we unfortunately had to ask for no kids because we were dancing around max capacity, and there was no way to tactfully select whose kids were more important or a higher priority than another ones, so we had to just say no kids. The people who asked have not RSVPd. 

Bad communicators - We have a few friends who are just really bad at communicating, and of course those few people are on the list. We decided to reach out to them a few days ago to try and strike up a conversation, but have no replies as of yet. How do we get responses from hard to contact people in a timely fashion?

Re: Shower RSVPs Help!

• Options
    ahernandez16ahernandez16 member
    edited February 2016
    With our wedding we planned for an extra 15 people on top of those that RSVPed. With my bridal shower we planned for an additional 5 or so. I would personally assume out of towners aren't coming and probably the people that asked if kids could come. 

Maybe just have an extra table and chairs put away just in case - we did that for my bridal shower but *most* of the people that didn't reply didn't end up showing up. 
  • Options
    Hmm, The types of people who havent answered are so all over the place. If we did that it might be really awkward cause it would mean like, leaving 3 empty seats at the table where my MILs girlfriends would be sitting, and the people who havent RSVPd are totally different age groups and wont know anyone at that table. Unless we try to disperse the extra seats to other tables a bit. I just feel bad that my MIL would be paying for empty seats because people cant get with the program.

Im pretty confident the out of towners arent coming too. But the people with the kids i feel conflicted about assuming with them because they are core members of DHs family, and they attended the last family baby shower without the kids.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would have the host follow up with the people who haven't RSVP'd. I hosted a baby shower in January and we sent out email invitations. If I hadn't heard from people by Monday or Tuesday (the shower was Saturday) then I emailed them again to ask if they had decided to come or not. There was only 1 person who didn't write back to those emails. If you're more in a time crunch I'd divide and conquer the list and call people.
  • Options
    @candicek15 She doesnt know any of the people so DH is going to call them for her. All the people she knew already RSVPd, lol. DHs free time is kind of limited though so i was hoping to knock the list down for him to avoid the work. Anyone who i could personally text or email I already did. But the 18 people left on the list, DH is the only person who has their contact info. (He works full time and was out of the house all day today.)
  • Options
    We planned for about 2/3 of the invites for the shower I'm hosting Sunday. However, most were local.  I'd plan for about half of the list, like you would a wedding
  • Options
    @TheHauntedHauswife Can your DH just provide you or the host with their contact info? I'm not sure why someone who knows them has to be the one to call. I had never met any of my friend's family members that I got in touch with before her shower. If I called them I would just identify myself as your friend and a host of your shower and then just ask if they are planning to attend since the venue requires final numbers.
  • Options
    candicek15 He could, but he hasnt been available to do that because hes been so busy. Tomorrow is the first chance he will get and then after that he will be busy again from Monday to Saturday. So its a lot for him to make 16 calls in 1 day, but he would prefer to call his family himself. Either which way, we still couldn't get the contact info from him until tomorrow, at which point hes available to just do it then so he might as well just do it. I'm just trying to hone in the list a bit for him, cause knowing him he will spend 45 min on the phone with each person and there are a few other things him and I need to do tomorrow.
  • Options
    sdnybrk How does that work when you are doing a seating chart too? Or did you just not do a seating chart for the shower or wedding? I just dont know what to do with the people who dont respond. Even if we plan for half of those people to show up. They will arrive, not find their names and seat numbers, and then someone is going to have to deal with figuring out who they are and then showing them to the left over available seats.

The venue doesn't have enough space to just leave an extra table as we are nearly at capacity. So while we could do something with left over seats if we found an easy way to handle it, it would likely be like 2 seats at one time and a 1 seat at another table, etc.
  • Options
    Maybe this will help it make a little more sens what i'm dealing with. The venue only will do tables of 10 or 8 people. But they only have 2 8-person tables available. The people in black have NOT answered. Its broken down by My high school friends, My other friends, DH Family, DH Family Friends, My Family and My Family Friends. So i would need to mix up all the the tables again if i either took out all the non-RSVP people or if i decided to only keep a name-less half of them on there.

• Options
    This might be a dumb question but if they're H's family can't your MIL (his mom) call them because she would be family as well? Also you said you don't know any of them so they honestly might not be coming if they don't know you. Unfortunately you can't really assume any of them are no's until they RSVP. If H is a talker I would give him a set limit with each call and he can quickly end the conversation by saying something like "it was nice talking with you but I have to finish calling the rest of the family to get the guest list finished." It's not his fault they didn't RSVP so he shouldn't feel bad about not spending 45 minutes on the phone with them. I'm sorry I wasn't much help, I haven't run into this problem. My mom asked my MIL for a list but she never gave it to her so I used our guest list from our wedding and picked the people I knew from H's side and would want at the shower lol
  • Options
    Do they have to be paid for?  Or is it just a matter of seating?  If it's seating, can you just assume they are coming?  
    DS 9/2/13 was a BFP from an IUI!
    Triplets due 6/29/16 also from an IUI!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    MrsB8214 Yeah see that's almost probably entirely the issue here. MIL is just kind of.. i hate to say it.. incompetent about things. We gave her 5 names to check the RSVPs on Thursday morning. Knowing it may take her a little bit, and her way of handling it was just bizarre. She will say things like "dont worry about it'' meaning basically dont worry about them coming or not, but shes not the host who is doing name cards or me who is doing seating charts so its easy for her to just say oh just dont worry about it. Then if DH presses the issue with her ask says No, Mom, We need to you to get final answers from them. She just goes ''well i dont know if they can come'' and then DH says ''Well, then call them up and ask'' and she will say, ''Íll have to see if i have their phone numbers''. So i am not holding my breath on her calling any of them. Luckily 1 of 5 actually did call and RSVP since then.

About half of them do know me, I just have no way to contact them. As they aren't on social media and ive never had any reason to have their phone numbers before. The other half i could not pick out of a crowd if you paid me a million dollars.
  • Options
    Huskerfanz Yeah, If we leave a seat available for them, we will pay for that seat whether they attend or not.
  • Options
    HBamama2B The space is pretty small and the total number of guests is extremely close to the rooms maximum capacity. All we are paying by the person. So we felt we had no other option. Also, pretty much every shower i've ever been to has has some degree of assigned seating. My own bridal shower was the only one that didnt that ive ever been to, but we had the space to put extra tables and leave everything open.
  • Options
    HBamama2B Also also im essentially bed ridden/couch ridden with SPD, so its kind of nice in one aspect to have little tasks to do like mess with a seating chart. But not so fun when 16 people still havent RSVPd.
  • Options
    I totally feel your pain!  My shower is April 2nd and I just received word that the phone number to RSVP has an extra digit!?!  Ugh. This is what happens when I don't oversee these things (yes I'm a detail oriented control freak). So I had a minor meltdown and then ended up texting/Facebook messaging as many of the ladies invited to let them know of the boo boo.  We haven't heard back from too many people but they have about 3 more weeks to respond. I was also one who did not want small children at my shower but I know some of the people invited can't come unless they bring their kid(s). So I guess we will see how it goes!   
  • Options
    Not 100% sure what advice to give either.  I would say if they haven't RSVP'd  by the due date they aren't coming and if they all of a sudden they remember they will most likely pick up the phone themselves before the event.  I hope it goes great either way.....maybe ask the venue of they have a collapsible table you can have just tucked away.   

Saying this I am a worry wort so I would probably call them all.....but if they are out of town or an airplane ride away I would say count them out. 

Have a great shower!  My mom and sister are still arguing about who to invite to mine lol let alone the RSVP numbers hehehe mom wants to invite all the neighbours thay I grew up around even though I haven't lived in that province for the last 7 years......
  • Options
    I've never been to a shower with a seating chart, so I cant help there. Sorry :/. I see your problem since you have to pay per person. I'd be getting someone, anyone, on the phone TODAY  getting a yes or no! Basic etiquette seems to have gone out the window the last few years, unfortunately. Calling will be your only way of knowing for sure 
  • Options
    @huskypuppy14
    @sdnybrk - The reason i am having a seating chart is because the space is pretty small and the total number of guests is extremely close to the rooms maximum capacity, we are also paying by the person/chair. So we felt we had no other option then to do that.  Also nearly every shower ive been to has had a seating chart so it must be a regional thing or something cause its more common than not here. 

H went ahead and called people today. But we are still waiting on 7.
  • Options
    I would just call them and politely explain that you need an answer now. It's not rude to ask for them to rsvp by the deadline or to follow up when they don't. 
  • Options
    I'd call each of them.

Thanks for the post! I was recently invited to my cousin's bridal shower and I assumed kids were cool, (that's the consensus for the culture I'm in,) but now I'll call and make sure, since this culture is not her culture. ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Boonhilde I have definitely been to it both ways. So i think its definitely specific to each shower. 

RSVP date has came and went, and we still have 6 more. All have been called but as suspected the group i titled above as the ''bad communicators'' still haven't responded. As well as a few people who only my MIL has the contact info for and wont give it to us, insists she will handle it, but we have no idea if she has even called once or not.
  • Options
    If you are only waiting on confirmation from 6 people, unless you are looking at $20/person, I'd add half that number to the total. You won't be asking MIL to pay much more and will at least have a little padding.  Especially since she isn't too worried about contacting her people.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had the same problem with RSVPs when I hosted my sister's baby shower a few months ago. About a third of the people on the guest list didn't bother to RSVP, and since I didn't want to pay a larger catering bill than necessary, I called each of them (even the out of towners) and asked them whether or not they were coming. A couple of the out of towners did end up coming and thought they didn't need to RSVP because they were staying with other relatives and thought those relatives would have told me (NOT how it works, people!). A few guests tried to give me vague "maybe" answers, and I politely told them that we needed a final head count for our caterer so they gave me a "yes" or "no." Aside from one guest (my BIL's cousin) who wouldn't even bother to return my message, we got a response from everyone. We didn't specify "no children" on the invitations, but we also anticipated that people would bring them, so we had a separate kids table set up with chicken fingers, mac and cheese, and "kiddie" style foods.   

If your RSVP holdouts are people your hostess knows personally, she should probably call them. If not, since they are on your husband's side of the family, I would suggest asking your MIL to call them. It isn't fair for your hostess(es) to have to pay for extra people just because some guests are too lazy to RSVP. Some people are so inconsiderate!
  • Options
    It's $32 per person and your guest list had 70 people on it? Holy shit. That seems a bit overboard for a baby shower. No wonder you're stressing, someone is coughing up over 2 grand for a baby shower. Wow.  To each her own.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    swflJD My thoughts exactly. I recently missed a card in the mail and did not RSVP for something because i simply didnt see it (DH got the mail and put it in a silly spot.) and i felt so insanely awful and I didnt even actually get to see the card! It amazes me how many people just dont think its important.

Its 3 of DH friends and 3 of MILs friends at this point. DH has called them atleast once, some twice or to different phone numbers and no replies. MIL is just being weird about her people. She supposedly called all 3 last night but we never got a follow up. DH will probably call her again tonight. 3 days until we have to turn in the numbers in.
  • Options
    2 things: I'm sorry you are still having problems with people. Especially if they know you NEEDa headcount 

And..I'm going to need to see what this shower looks like! I spent about $150 on my cousins, for 30 people, and that was a lot to me and the co-host. I'm really curious about yours, now. Like, honestly. Showers are so informal and such around here. Aka finger foods and at church fellowship halls or in someone's living room
  • Options
    dennyandlee Its $32 pp.
    Is that including decorations and everything or just the site and food? I just started talking with my host this weekend about mine so I don't have costs yet, but that seems like a full catered meal at least?
  • Options
    dennyandlee That was a pretty restrictive list too. Me and DH both have very large families. MIL is one of 4 siblings, FIL was one of 3 siblings, My mom is one of 3 and my dad is one of 2. All the siblings are married, and each aunt and uncle set has multiple adult children. Additionally each set of grandparents also have a few siblings each. So that was something like 32-35 women off the bat. The other 25 are MIL and my moms girlfriends, as well as my own girlfriends.

Again I really thing these things are regional. Because i am having a very modest shower for my area. I live in Bergen County, NJ. Its right outside Manhatten/NYC. Like Coco and Ice-T just had their baby next to where i go to physical therapy. Its definitely just a more expensive area.

My venue is very much on the cheaper side of whats available here and was partially chosen for its cost-effective nature (also one of my favorite places and near to my house). Had it been warm out we would have done a backyard shower with catering but weather didn't allow that this time around.

@Sdnybrk Its being held at a cute kind of cafe-esque place. The place is known for their quiche, but its basically just going to be a buffet with food that has a sort of tea party feel like things more on the appetizer side, quiche, interesting flavored breads and fruit and cheese. Drinks will only be tea, coffee, lemonade and iced tea. Cake isnt included and it was an extra fee just to have the place cut and serve the cake for us. Its definitely NOT going to be too over the top.
  • Options
    HBamama2B I kinda sorta just answered this right above this reply, but its essentially just the food, beverages and service. Not even dessert, definitely not decorations or absolutely anything else. I could have chosen a slightly cheaper option [i think $28] but it was basically ONLY 5 different quiche and salad, which none of us thought was appropriate especially if people dont like quiche. 

I may have been able to find a slightly comparable pricing in an italian restaurant, as they are endless here. But personally I just felt like everyone around here tends to do that and wanted to go for something a little different. So it was a toss up between this quiche cafe place and a mexican place. Ended up being more affordable with what we chose.
  • Options
    @TheHauntedHauswife I also grew up in North Jersey - I completely can relate to the big family and the price of showers etc... no seating chart at my baby shower as I'm having it pretty late so I can have it at my parents house in the backyard (at my request) but my Bridal shower was like that (at a Westfield country club) I feel like our area of the country is just different than a lot of other states/areas so its hard for other people with different regional norms to grasp! 
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • Options
    I'm in NYC too. So not sure it's a regional as you might think? I've been to a few here and in Boston, but no seating charts or restaurants yet. Not saying it doesn't happen, just not common on my side of the river bank. This is definitely an expensive area, maybe the highest bracket given basic food costs in NYC.

Mine will be on the water (east river) with a view of the river and city in our apartment's special occasion indoor/outdoor space ($50 reservation fee that should be waived) and will be catered by our fav local restaurant (just a couple aps ~100) + some yummy fancy cheese and fruits 'cause that's what I love (~75). Mocktails for me and booze for my friends (~125). Not gonna go too far on decorations (~50) as its not really mine or my host's bag and I'd rather spend money on cheese and good wine. I don't expect her to spend more than $400 absolute max all-in for ~ 20-25 guests, less if my parents contribute the wine which is likely. If it were larger I'd push for her to have a co-host and she may still, just no one has spoken up yet about it. I felt like even that was a lot of money to spend and have offered to scale it back (i.e. Cook) if needed. Yeah... NYC is super expensive. Them's the breaks!
  • Options
    @HBamama2B I consider north NJ/NYC the same region ;) Most of us commute into jobs into the city (or did) and cost of living etc. is very similar (outside of housing costs in the actual city).   You've never been to a shower at a restaurant?? I'm really shocked to hear that... I've got 6 upcoming showers (lots of friends & family expecting at the same time!) and only 2 are being hosted at homes (mine included!). 
  • Options
    @MsBeachNJ my sister's bridal shower was at a restaurant, but that was in SD. My friend's baby shower in Boston last month was at her family's beach house, my other friend was in a similar occasion space at her apartment and my bridal shower was in the shared roof conservatory at my in laws friends house in Dumbo. Other than that, it's all been houses, but admittedly I haven't been to many and never 6 in one year! Wow. I hope you steal all the good ideas. ;) 
  • Options
    MsBeachNJ  Yeah i agree! I mean even i think its completely ridiculously over priced here. If we could we would move out of the area, but family and DHs job has us pretty much stuck in this general area. Ive definitely realizes from these boards that a lot of thing are for sure regional.
  • Options
    HBamama2B Yeah thats pretty shocking to me too. The only baby or bridal one i have been to, not at a restaurant, was my bridal shower and it was outside with a tent and catering.
  • Options
    @HBMama2B I've got 3 in one weekend alone!! We all got married at the same time, now we're all having babies at the same time!

@thehauntedhauswife - All of my family & Dh's family are here, we will never leave! I learned when wedding planning & reading the knot etc. that things that were normal here were VERY far from normal in other areas... such is life!