Baby Names

Spelling Help, Please!!

edited February 2016 in Baby Names
Leelah, Leela or Lela?

I'm due today and we're still trying to decide how to spell our baby's name!!  I'm pretty sure she'll be late, so thankfully we have some time, but not much :)

My sisters and I all have names that end in "ah" (Jeanah, Rebekah, Hannah) and we thought it would be nice to carry on the tradition while also incorporating my maiden name "Lee", which is how we came to "Leelah".

What are your honest opinions about the spelling?

I'm concerned about the needless "h" at the end... I know there's a lot of discussion about improper or misspelled names and I don't want it to come across pretentious or uneducated.  I feel better knowing there's good reasoning behind it, but we're not going to explain that to everyone that meets her.

Pros and cons:
- Leelah: Directly reflects the motivation behind the spelling, but the added "h" might come across annoying
- Leela: Can't be mispronounced, loses some of the reasoning behind the name but not completely
- Lela: Simple and straightforward, but I'm afraid people will pronounce it "Lay-la" and our motivation for the name gets lost with this spelling

Thanks in advance for your opinions! :)

Best Answers

Answers