Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Age or Attention?

I just gave birth to my baby girl on 12/30 and right after she was born and returned from our 2 day hospital stay, DS had changed. He will boss us around, for example.... "Mom! Get me an apple juice, RIGHT NOW!!!" or not listen to anything I tell him when I am holding DD. He knows he can get away with things when I have to feed DD or soothe her in some way. I have tried to include him with helping his little sister such as getting her a bottle, finding her blanket or pacifier, rocking her bouncy, but he quickly becomes annoyed with her cries and also becomes irate after awhile of hearing her. He'll tell her to shut up from across the room and tell me she cries too much and doesn't want to play with her. 

DS is 3 years old and I hear that it is just his age. 3 years old is when they become a little more "bossy" but I can't help but notice all he wants is attention as he used to be the only child. It is really hard to give DS all the attention he craves while I am with a colicky baby that doesn't want to sleep at all during the day.

Any thoughts on how to deal with my son's behavior? I have been telling him to stand in the corner for 3 minutes every time he misbehaves but I feel like this is a constant thing and I feel bad about it. When DD is sleeping I try to play with him as much as I can, but at times I just want to sleep...
DD#1 born 12/30/2015
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
DS#1 born 02/19/2013
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Age or Attention?

• Options

Poor kid and poor mom! Sounds like he is having a hard time adjusting to the new baby which is very understandable. I would say the behavior is more from the baby rather than the age.

My son is almost 4 and he was 2.5 when my daughter was born. I guess I lucked out because he took to the baby right away and never seemed annoyed by her. He wanted a ton of extra attention, but wasn't exactly acting out. He is pretty awful now at almost 4 but I know it's the age.

I think you are doing great by giving your DS some extra alone time when the baby is asleep and I would definitely continue doing that. Maybe get out with him and do something alone?

Unfortunately you do have to keep disciplining the negative behavior because he has to know it's not ok no matter what but ask him to talk to you about he is feeling. Stay consistent and patient and hopefully the baby jealousy phase will pass then you just have the normal 3 year old crap to deal with ;)