July 2016 Moms

cold sores/fever blisters while pregnant

Anyone else having issues with cold sores while pregnant? I've had a few in my life, stress- or illness-induced. But I've had 3 in the last month, and they are irritating! Not to mention HUGE! Know of any remedies?

Re: cold sores/fever blisters while pregnant

• Loading the player...
  • What's up with all of the test comments ?

I had three cold sores during first trimester -- OTC abreva although expensive works well and is pregnancy safe. That and you can make a paste out of baking soda and water to help dry it out. Good luck ! 
  • kendierenaekendierenae member
    edited February 2016
    I was trying to add one of those adorable pregnancy trackers, and I couldn't figure it out. And now I can't delete those comments. Gah. 

Thanks for your advice! I've heard Abreva is a good medication - it's good to know it's pregnancy safe!
  • BostonBaby1BostonBaby1 member
    edited February 2016
    Call your doctor. Cold sores are a type of herpes and if you are having bad outbreaks with the onset being pregnancy, you should get your OB's advice.

*typo and to add-  just because you get oral herpes doesn't mean that you have genital herpes, but if you do and you're prone to outbreak, your doctor needs to know before delivery because it could affect the baby. Genital herpes that is. 
  • Haven't experienced any cold sores but I did get shingles in my first trimester. Your immune system is down during pregnancy so viruses that are lingering in your body (like herpes zoster for shingles and herpes simplex for cold sores) tend to come out of the woodwork so to speak. Definitely talk to your OB about it, especially since it's not the first time.

Regarding the pregnancy tracker, you don't have to make a new post for it to show up. Once it's updated and in your signature, it will show up on all your previous posts too.
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • It's because of how crazy your hormones are now, I got a oral cold sore and then my wisdom teeth decided they were going to start coming up again at the same time. It' was a fun week of pregnancy. 
  • I'm not sure if it's pregnancy-safe but you should look into taking an L-Lysine supplement as a preventative measure. I've been haunted by cold sores since childhood. Abreva and Valtrex are a Godsend.

• quartz02 said:

I'm not sure if it's pregnancy-safe but you should look into taking an L-Lysine supplement as a preventative measure. I've been haunted by cold sores since childhood. Abreva and Valtrex are a Godsend.

This! Agreed - not sure if it's pregnancy-safe but L-Lysine is what I used to take when I felt the little tingle of one coming on. That and ice. At the first tingle, put ice on it for 10 minute increments throughout the day. 
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • L-Lysine seems controversial in pregnancy. If you go that route ask your doctor first 

https://www.drugs.com/npc/lysine.html

• I actually get cold sores from fevers, lemon, limes, and pineapple. I have found that taking 500mg of Lysine a day, keeps them away and I am actually able to eat those items, without getting a cold sore. That being said, you cannot take Lysine while pregnant. I was really worried about this, as my first pregnancy, my whole 2nd Tri I was getting one cold sore after another (even while staying away from the triggers). This pregnancy, I am actually taking a different prenatal vitamin, and shockingly, have yet to have a cold sore (even after exposing myself to lemon and lime, multiple times....and I had one fever). I know there are several vitamins that you can take to keep them at bay, so my new prenatal must have one of those vitamins, because it doesn't have Lysine in it. If you don't want to try stuff like Abreva (which never works for me), or prescription drugs, you can try switching your prenatal and see if it works for you as well. My first pregnancy, I was taking Nature Made Prenatal Multi + DHA. This pregnancy, I am taking (vegan) Rainbow Light Prenatal One (which I get in the organic food section of my Fred Meyer/Kroger). Since Rainbow Light doesn't have DHA, I am also taking a Olly brand "Alpha and Omega-3" soft gels, that I get at Target.  
    I've had issues with cold sores since I was little, like several of you. The weakened immue system comments make sense. That's what's always triggered them in the past. I've always just tried Abreva or other cream/ointment options, which sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. This is the first I've heard of lysine as a preventative measure. Definitely worth looking into after the baby comes and breastfeeding stops. 
    The doc did say Valtrex is pregnancy safe and I'm going to give that a try. 
    I definitely don't have genital herpes - just those annoying ones on your lips. No issues for baby.

Also - thanks for the help with the tracker. Still couldn't figure it out, but no more annoying test posts for this gal!