March 2016 Moms

Post C-section Checkin

Just wanted to hear from other momma's how their c-section recovery is going.

I'm two weeks out today and sitting at the dr's for a follow up. I feel much better the last few days. It doesn't burn like someone has a lighter to my stomach anymore when I move. Doing stairs 2-3 times a day max with no pain and just minor discomfort. Never took pain pills at the hospital - they make me vomit. I'm still taking 600 mg Tylenol 3x's a day for discomfort which is more in my back than stomach. Overall week 2 has been so much better than week 1. I'm just making sure I don't over do it. 

Re: Post C-section Checkin

• One week and some hours since my urgent-turned-emergency section. I am still hurting when I move, but overall not bad. Didn't take anything the first 24h, then I was on 600mg ibuprofen every six hours til I went home and switched to 400mg. I'm glad to know that hopefully next week I will also move from pain to discomfort! My biggest pain right now happens when my bladder is full. Glad your healing is progressing well, Internet stranger. 
  • I'm 4 weeks post c section. I've been pain free since probably end of week 2. You can expect light to mild discomfort especially when you walk too much or lift above your weight restriction (even a little bit). Wearing pants or panties that hit right above the incision isn't even an option these granny panties and pj pants are really bringing sexy back. Still rolling over on my side to get out of bed instead of sitting straight up.
  • Loading the player...
  • One week post c-section, had a spinal headache at the hospital and had to stay an extra night but have been feeling pretty great ever since getting home. Still have some pain and burning sensations especially if I don't take my pain meds but overall feeling great and better than I thought I ever would. Trying to rest up but its hard for me to just sit still. I over did it the first day I was home and my body started swelling really bad so I am trying to relax! 
  • MamaRoniMamaRoni member
    edited February 2016
    Facing csection #3 in 4 or so weeks... just thought I'd give some btdt advice...
    I didn't take pain meds with any of mine because I BF and apparently have a good pain tolerance. That said....
    Wearing panties won't ever be exactly the same again .... that incision will feel strange for months.... don't panic
    You'll roll out of bed for months and not just from the section.... vaginal mama's do it too because the ab muscles separate but u have the added issue with cut muscles.... it's ok
    Prepare yourself for sneezing. .. OH MY HEAVENS....
    Make sure u care for your incision properly.... you'll thank yourself when it heals nicely... but u know... sometimes they just don't heal pretty and that's ok too 
    Follow the orders on driving.... when u turn around to look behind u.... u will remember you've had a major surgery ... don't over do it

Kiss and love the babies ladies... we are so lucky
  • I had my c-section on Monday so I'm  5 days post op and slowly feeling better. The first couple of days were definitely painful and hated taking the pain meds but now I'm only taking Ibuprofen. Breastfeeding and pumping with a c-section is painful when your uterus contracts but it gets better little by little. My husband has been the most amazing help as my mobility is obviously limited but I'm able to do more and more each day. 
  • @mamaroni Oh my gosh, sneezing and coughing! I had a cold during my c section and actually had to cough during the procedure. Post-op was the worst, I thought I was going to rip open at any moment every time I sneezed.
  • Scheduled for my c section in 10 days. Reading how everyone is feeling pretty good after a week or 2 has helped calm my nerves a bit - so thank you :)
    Hopefully everyone continues to feel better each day!
  • @aashbiez the number one thing is get out of bed and walk as soon as they let you! It's going to suck and it's going to hurt but it will help speed recovery up.  I also walked the maternity floor at least 2 times a day while I was I the hospital.

Today he weather was finally nice and I walked a large chunk of my development. I was sore after but I felt good knowing it's been 16 days post opp and that I had the strength and stamina to do it! 
  • @Sweet_D thank you! I will be sure to get up and move as much as possible :smile: 
  • Also I forgot to mention..stool softeners are a must and drink lots of water. 
  • Day two and trying to keep it together and make myself move around. My biggest complaint is a lot of fluid in my legs and feet which are making moving a little more challenging. 
  • Did anyone get the "second baby cramping"? I didn't know such a thing existed. So imagine my surprise when I'm sitting in bed nursing my baby, feeling all pleased with myself to be finally done with acid reflux and BHs and painful contractions (that went for weeks) and bam! Here comes another goddamn contraction and it feels like I'm having the catheter inserted again each time. They are full on, catch your breath, arch your back, punch in the gut excruciating. Breastfeeding triggers some wonderful ones. Talked to the hospital staff and everyone's all, "oh yeah, normal. They suck". Hello, wut?! A heads up would have been awesome. Supposedly they get worse with subsequent pregnancies???
  • 2nd day post csection and I have a bad cough..talk about hurting!!
  • @diablesse my doctor thankfully warned me about them because she knew I was stingy about pain medication. I'm so glad she did, they were hell, and I was much better about not letting myself get into too much pain knowing that killer cramping was always just around the corner. 

I am at 3 weeks out now. For me the time line was first 2 days constant pain (needed to stay on top of pain meds), 3-5 days pain was bearable with intermittent ibuprofen, 2 weeks getting around with only minor discomfort, and now at 3 weeks moving around like my old self but not lifting or doing heavy work. I still have pain if my clothes rest on the incision sight or I get bumped there, but otherwise feeling much more like myself.
  • Can anyone let me know how long it took their swelling to go down in legs and feet?  Not sure what I can do about making it go down but really interested in how long it's going to take to go away...
  • My swelling took almost two weeks with my first two csections to go away but with my 3rd only a week. I lost 15 lbs of fluid after coming home! My recovery is going well. Will be 3 weeks on Wed. First week was the worst and most painful. Def baby your body and respect your limits. Slow and steady and increase your activity a little bit everyday. Eat healthy and drink lots of water and u will be back to normal by that 6 week check up :)
    6 & 2 year old, 2 losses
  • 20 hours post csection for me. They are coming in soon to remove my catheter and whatnot. I am terrified of getting up and walking around
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • AlissaLee17AlissaLee17 member
    edited March 2016
    lanatalia said:
    Can anyone let me know how long it took their swelling to go down in legs and feet?  Not sure what I can do about making it go down but really interested in how long it's going to take to go away...
    My leg swelling went away in about a week. I also hadn't been very swollen prior to all the IV fluids in the hospital, though. I was hiding a lot of water weight somewhere. I propped my legs up at night, and sweat it out. 
  • Thanks ladies. I did an Epsom salt foot bath and that helped a little. I wasn't swollen prior  to going in so I wasa little surprised when I looked down on day 2 to find these! 

6 days out and doing much better every day :) 
  • My swelling went down about 4-5 days after I got home so about a week after the fact. I was so swollen I had to wear dh's shoes and socks! It felt like I was walking on someone else's feet. 
  • Ya the swelling is a lovely post C side effect. It's like walking on miss piggys feet haha. The day u wake up and see your "skinny feet" is always fun! :)
    6 & 2 year old, 2 losses
  • Hi Ladies, I am one week post planned c section. Does anyone have any advice on what kind of panties are comfortable given the incision?  Too bad those hospital undies ran out.... I'm thinking of buying some boy shorts or something. 
  • @dotharyk    I actually bought depends underwear to wear. They were so comfortable when I ran out of the mesh. I'm 4 weeks out and just started wearing "real" underwear the other day. And I just went back to my pre pregnancy underwear when I finished with the depends. 
  • dotharyk said:
    Hi Ladies, I am one week post planned c section. Does anyone have any advice on what kind of panties are comfortable given the incision?  Too bad those hospital undies ran out.... I'm thinking of buying some boy shorts or something. 
    My mom brought me a pack of high-waisted briefs, and I've found those very comfortable. I've only had light bleeding since about day 7, but if you have heavier bleeding something like Depends might be nice, rather than panties and pads. 
  • Sweet_D said:
    @dotharyk    I actually bought depends underwear to wear. They were so comfortable when I ran out of the mesh. I'm 4 weeks out and just started wearing "real" underwear the other day. And I just went back to my pre pregnancy underwear when I finished with the depends. 
    I had an emergency c-section last Thursday 12:54am(DS was too big and got stuck for two hours behind my pelvic bone. I bought a pack of depends and have been wearing them since I ran out of the mesh panties, too. Told my younger cousin who is due in June to order a sample and coupon (thats what I did). DH grabbed the mega hospital pads that look like diapers without the tape (not sure why, but he thought it was a good idea)
  • Feeling frustrated with my relative lack of ab/back strength. I wasn't planning on a C-section (not that if I had been would I have been more physically ready lol) but I'm two weeks PP now, and I am getting tired very early on in the day from lifting/carrying/swaying my son. I am able to breast feed him, which I am happy about, but it makes me sad and cranky that I can't do a lot of the soothing that I want to do- it's just so physical! DH is a rock star, and together we are covering LO's needs quite nicely but I feel a lot of pressure (from myself I guess?) to be able to "do-it-all", as Mom. Anyone else experiencing similar feelings?
  • I can relate to your frustration. It is frustrating to not be able to keep up. I am 3 weeks out and I feel more like my old self today than I did a week ago.
  • 5 weeks post C section today and feeling pretty close to normal. Hang in there! At the 4 week mark I was feeling 85% my old self. 
  • This was my second csection. My first was an emergency and did not go so smoothly. Also when I got home I over did it... And was in pain for a long time. This time around it was planned and I have been taking it easy. I am now week 3 and feeling pretty well. I feel kind of stir crazy, but not in as much pain this time around. I feel like my stomach strength is getting better, and started to around week 2 or week 2 1/2. Take it easy, and ease yourself back into normal activities. You will get there
  • Today I am 17 days post op. Doing a lot better, not lifting a lot of heavy things but still manage to cook, do laundry and care for my baby. Took the risk yesterday and had sex. Im Worried about it now.
  • I had a scheduled csection for a breech baby 6 days ago.  Day 3 was the worst for me in the hospital, the morphine from the spinal had wore off and walking was extremely painful.  We were able to leave the hospital, but decided to stay another night given my pain. But day 4+, I've been feeling better then expected. Hardly notice any pain, just some discomfort getting up and down and out of bed.  Honestly, the recovery for me has been a bit eaiser then I expected.  Still trying to take it easy though and not overdue it.  Wishing all the mamas a speedy recovery!! 
  • I'm 2 weeks post op now. I was up and moving around and driving pretty quickly. However, my incision is infected, so that was a bit of a setback. My only problem now is that I'm tired of depends and want to be able to wear my normal underwear. Anyone have any advice how long it should take and what to do in the meantime?
  • I am 4 weeks out and I am still wearing the mesh underwear from the hospital. We took like 15 pairs on the le out and I am still wearing the mesh underwear from the hospital. We brought a ton home with us. I tried to wear regular panties last week, but they kept  siding down and landing right on my incision .