Infertility
Options

So frustrated--needing to rant

So I had my day 3 testing today and I am so frustrated! This is my fourth cycle, and every time before I have done an ultrasound and blood work at this appt. Today they tell me "you had a negative beta on Monday so you don't need blood work." ???? I have needed blood work after a negative beta twice before! And of course no one could answer me when I asked why the change in procedure was happening. I also feel the doctor (not my usual dr) was extremely condescending when I asked.  I think I'm feeling especially sensitive because two cycles ago, they missed my ovulation (I had a 17.8 mm follicle and they told me to come back in two days...but I ovulated before the two days were up) and last month they would have missed it again I f I hadn't challenged the dr (similar thing was happening--they told me to come in in two days and I said my nurse said I should be monitored daily, after some back and forth they said "fine if you really feel you need to make an appt" and they discovered I was surging when I went back in the morning!). Ughhhhh then to top it all off, I've gotten different instructions as to when to take prometrium, when to have timed intercourse, when to start clomid... I had a consult with my actual RE earlier this week and she said the differences are because each RE does things a little differently, and my RE does not work on the weekends, so when I need a weekend appt she doesn't review my labs or make decisions regarding my care. 

I'M JUST SO FRUSTRATED!! I feel like I am the one who is monitoring my cycles and that sucks because I'm paying an absurd amount of money so somebody who went to medical school could do it for me. I also feel like no one is taking my concerns seriously. But this is my life!! I know it's just their job but it's my life--my hopes and dreams and future--and I just wish someone would try and make me feel like they understand that. 

Okay. I'm done. Haha thanks for listening!!

Re: So frustrated--needing to rant

• Options
    I hear you frustration @srh18, I am juggling between two clinics as I am not allowed to get IVF in Norway with a donor ( I am single) but I can't travel for each appointment to Denmark.
    So my check ups are in Norway and my IVF/FET are in Denmark.
    Different procedures drive me nuts.

Your RE sounds like one that has it all under control, any chance she could help you with a plan for the weekends when she can't give you the follow up? That you know what to ask, and push for when you have to go to any of the others?

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    I totally hear you. It's so frustrating. I've been at two clinics and I think a disconnect between the doctors and staff and/or receptionists is common. It's mind boggling to me though. Pay attention people! This is very important stuff!
    DS#1: born Dec 29, 2013 
    TTC#2 since Sept 2014 - unexplained secondary IF
    BFP #2: 11.7.14  M/C: 11.27.14 @ 6w3days
    BFP #3: 04.19.2015 M/C 04.27.15 @ 4w3days
    BFP #4: 10.05.2015 C/P @ 3w4days
    Oct 11, 2015: Cycle 13. Starting Femara (2.5mg). HSG this cycle (all clear) - BFN
    Nov 12, 2015: Cyle 14. Femara 5mg + IUI - BFN
    Dec 10, 2015: Cycle 15. Femara 5mg + IUI #2 - BFP #5! C/P 4w4d
    Jan 10, 2016: Cycle 16. Femara 5mg + IUI #3 - BFN.
    Feb 10, 2016: Cycle 17.  No IUI or meds. Taking a break - Natural BFP Mar 5, 2016!!!! EDD Nov 16, 2016
    Moving to IVF March 2016
    Beta at 10dpo: 21, Beta at 12dpo: 98, Beta at 14dpo: 264, Beta at 16dpo: 745
    U/S 6w6d: single beautiful heartbeat of 121bpm - It's a boy!!!!
    Nov 3, 2016: Our family became complete. Welcome DS #2.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, I agree that this is very frustrating.

I've also had different doctors at my clinic have different ideas about when blood work is necessary, for whatever that's worth, especially with medicated TI/IUI. 
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    @srh18 I agree with @tvh1982 Your RE seems to have it together, a weekend plan would definitely help!  I'm just surprised that even if you see a different doc over the weekend, they don't follow your primary's instructions/protocol.  Very frustrating!  Unfortunately I think most times we are our best advocate, because like you said, it's our life, so we are most invested in the process.