Infertility

IM shots- bleeding

Is it normal to bleed after an IM shot in the butt??

My dr gave us targets and my husband gave me the shot in the target..this was our 4th shot..others have had a tiny drop or few drops of blood after wards but after tonights shot there was a good amount  of blood.  it stopped right away but wanted to see if this was normal. 

Re: IM shots- bleeding

• @rachlee2010 Does your DH pull the syringe back to check for blood before he injects? If he does, and there isn't any blood in the syringe, then you should be fine. If he doesn't, he may have hit a vein, and he needs to start checking before injecting. I'd suggest watching this video: https://freedommedteach.com/eng/videos.html?play=progesterone_in_oil
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Hey @rachlee2010 ! My husband and I had this happen occasionally after PIO given IM, he always checked the syringe for a flash and it was negative. What usually caused it was he was pulling it out at an angle different than how he went in and causing little vessels in the skin to bleed (I'm a vet and give IM injections all the time to animals). Have him try to pull out same angle as he goes in :smile: 
    ******TW*****
    Me 39 DH44
    Married 8/2/14
    TTC 9/14
    Dx: PCOS, blocked L fallopian tube, suspect poor egg quality
    MFI (low #, poor morphology)
    IVF #1 9/15 Failed
    IVF #2 12/15 Failed
    1st DE FET  5/16-BFN :(
    2nd DE FET 7/18-BFP :)
    8/17 Baby HR 140/min EDD 4/6/17
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @2legbaby that makes a lot of sense..from now on he will be pulling up on the syringe to make sure there is no blood..it didn't really bother me or worry me that much but I just wanted to check with others.  It didn't leave any bruising at all so I don't think he hit a vein or anything..probably was just the angle