Blended Families

Anything Left out?

I want to first introduce myself, Hi! I am currently going through a separation and divorce is imminent as my ex does not want to reconcile. I currently live in New Orleans and have decided to stay for a year before making the decision whether or not to relocate back to my home state of Texas. My ex and I have an 11 month old son and I would like to work with my ex as a successful co parent for the sake of my son and what his needs are. I am currently drafting up a comprehensive parenting plan but wanted to check in with everyone here and get some advice. 

So Is there anything you wish you would have specified or included in your parenting plan while going through a divorce with young children? Anything 
that was overlooked or not anticipated?

TIA!

Re: Anything Left out?

• Transportation arrangements- the best way I've found is the person starting their parenting time picks up. It eliminates time spent waiting, if the situation is cordial enough where it can happen. 

Avoid a "paramour provision" (no overnight guests of a romantic nature. Instead opt for an introduction to you before your child and it must be a committed, exclusive relationship of 3-6 months. 

First option of care- only overnight or 6+ hours. It gets too complicated when it's a short time frame. 

Flexibility- request written notice 24 hours in advance if the parent can not exercise his/her parenting time along with the reason. Makeup time only as agreed by the parents in advance. 

Those are the biggies that I think get neglected. 

Hope this helps! 
  • That is super helpful, especially the paramour provision! Thank you so much for your help. I am trying to rack my brain for any and everything but there is just so much I know i may be missing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Vacation time, like a week uninterrupted time as long as it doesn't take from the other parents scheduled holiday. 
  • Put in a provision that it needs to be updated as time goes on because it should be up for discussion at school age and then as your child gets more active in sports. Be prepared to revisit your agreement when you go to move to Texas bc then the rules change again.