July 2016 Moms
Options

UO Thursday.

kcossey528kcossey528 member
edited February 2016 in July 2016 Moms
Mine doesn't have to do with me, but fits the theme. 

My sister was invited to an office baby shower her boss is throwing for another department superior. She invited 4 floors worth of people, which I imagine is a decent number, and encouraged her staff to bring food. My sister barely knows this woman, and has no interaction with her other than the passing "hello" in the hall. They sent out a registry link Monday, and a friendly reminder yesterday for the event that is today. My sister is stressing the hell out about a gift. I feel like she really isn't obligated to buy her a gift. They aren't close by any means, and this lady probably doesn't even know Kelly's name. No one will notice, and she shouldn't feel guilty at all. I wouldn't be offended if some rando at work did not buy me a gift. I told her she brought a veggie tray instead of sweets, so she is doing her part to prevent new onset or exacerbating GD, so really that's the best gift she could give :). Plus, she has to save her pennies to fly to Texas in July to see her new nephew!
interested to hear others thoughts, since similar scenarios may be coming up in the next few months!! 

Re: UO Thursday.

• Options
    We had a somewhat similar situation in my workplace this past fall. A couple of women in my department decided we should have a shower for the director of our department. Two other girls in my group and I were concerned with this because this baby was our director's third child, a third girl, and the group had already thrown her a shower for her second baby when she joined the company. Also, we were concerned that some of the people would feel obligated to purchase a gift for their boss; there are many people in our group who make far less and have a lot of personal expenses and don't need to be worrying about buying a gift or donating money toward a gift for someone who makes $$$$$. I believe after voicing our concerns, a general message was sent out that if people wanted to participate they could but to not feel obligated - I think they were even still able to sign the card from the group and get a piece of cake even if they didn't contribute, so no one would know if someone gave money or not. I think your sister certainly shouldn't feel obligated to get a gift or contribute to a group gift if she doesn't know the woman. Bringing a veggie tray is participation enough!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    chanfa said:
    Still don't like people using the words preggers or prego to say pregnant....
    I don't mind preggers but don't like preggo 
  • Options
    @kcossey528 your sister is doing much more than I would have by showing up and bringing veggies.  We recently had a work baby shower for someone in another department, and I elected not to attend. I barely knew the girl's name.  A co-worker side eyed me for not going and said that my turn will be next and I'd want as many people as possible to show up so that I receive more gifts. I'd much prefer not to have people attend a work shower, people I'd never spend time with outside of work, and have them feel obligated to bring gifts. If it was for a close coworker I'd absolutely attend and happily bring a gift, but not for someone that will read my card and ask, Rachel who?
  • Options
    DobbysSockDobbysSock member
    edited February 2016
    Mine doesn't have to do with me, but fits the theme. 

My sister was invited to an office baby shower her boss is throwing for another department superior. She invited 4 floors worth of people, which I imagine is a decent number, and encouraged her staff to bring food. My sister barely knows this woman, and has no interaction with her other than the passing "hello" in the hall. They sent out a registry link Monday, and a friendly reminder yesterday for the event that is today. My sister is stressing the hell out about a gift. I feel like she really isn't obligated to buy her a gift. They aren't close by any means, and this lady probably doesn't even know Kelly's name. No one will notice, and she shouldn't feel guilty at all. I wouldn't be offended if some rando at work did not buy me a gift. I told her she brought a veggie tray instead of sweets, so she is doing her part to prevent new onset or exacerbating GD, so really that's the best gift she could give :). Plus, she has to save her pennies to fly to Texas in July to see her new nephew!
    interested to hear others thoughts, since similar scenarios may be coming up in the next few months!! 

@kcossey528 when I had DD my work team threw me a baby shower, but since there was another woman who was due a few weeks before me they did a joint shower. A lot of coworkers who knew her well but not me came to the shower. I felt a little awkward that they got me gifts, like they must have felt required to. If they had just come and brought her a gift or no gift for either of us and just came for the visiting and lunch I wouldn't have been phased at all.

ETA: Those that didn't know me well - their gifts varied from one small outfit, to a little box of diapers, to a handmade quilt (the woman who gave me the quilt is a long-time hobby quilter, so I assume if she's anything like my mom she has little projects stacked in her sewing room that she can grab from when a gift-giving event comes up - but who knows she may have made a special effort just for me - either way I know the work and money that goes into quilting and I appreciate the gift so much).
  • Options
    I don't like it when people "play" with their kids at the playground.  Last weekend at the playground, my 2 YO DS was playing while I was sitting on the bench.  Occasionally he would call me over to help him climb up something he couldn't quite reach, but then I would step back to the sidelines.  Meanwhile, the parent of two older kids (5 and 7 YO's) was helping and playing with her two kids on the playground equipment. That's great and all, but I want my kid to learn how to play independently from me!  I have two stepkids, 9 and 11, who still struggle with doing anything independently and I certainly don't want that happening to DS. 
  • Options
    Taymiller said:
    chanfa said:
    I'm only okay with it because you are cool people.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Work parties can definitely be uncomfortable. I loved my old job (a finance office at the university) because there were events of one sort or another all the time, but either they were catered or it was a potluck situation but not strictly enforced. We would have a monthly lunch for everyone's birthdays that were that month but everyone knew it was a pretense to not work for a few hours and eat free food. And none of these events were required. And you could totally come get cake and just go back to your desk with it. 

My UO: I hate ketchup, I think it is disgusting. 
  • Options
    #the #worst #is #when #someone #uses #hashtags #for #every #single #word #no one #is #searching #the #word #awesome
    @PinkLady2015 - HAH yes! 
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Options
    @chanfa I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate preggo. Please don't compare my state of being to a jar of cheap pasta sauce. It's one of my least favorite words right up there with "moist". 

chanfa said:
    Pregnancy Ticker

July16 JULY siggy challenge

• Options
    rnyland1 said:
    I don't like it when people "play" with their kids at the playground.  Last weekend at the playground, my 2 YO DS was playing while I was sitting on the bench.  Occasionally he would call me over to help him climb up something he couldn't quite reach, but then I would step back to the sidelines.  Meanwhile, the parent of two older kids (5 and 7 YO's) was helping and playing with her two kids on the playground equipment. That's great and all, but I want my kid to learn how to play independently from me!  I have two stepkids, 9 and 11, who still struggle with doing anything independently and I certainly don't want that happening to DS. 

hmmmm.... I get what you're saying, and that's cool for you... but you also don't know that parent's circumstances. Maybe they work full time and that's the only time they get to have one on one time with their kids---or maybe she's divorced and the father gets them on the weekends and this was a chance to spend quality time with them. I know it probably isn't your intention... it just comes off as a little bit judgy of someone's parenting techniques.

@pinklady2015 - I love everything about your reply. Spot on for me.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016

• Options
    rnyland1 said:
    rnyland1 said:

hmmmm.... I get what you're saying, and that's cool for you... but you also don't know that parent's circumstances. Maybe they work full time and that's the only time they get to have one on one time with their kids---or maybe she's divorced and the father gets them on the weekends and this was a chance to spend quality time with them. I know it probably isn't your intention... it just comes off as a little bit judgy of someone's parenting techniques.
    Yeah that's true. I didn't think about other circumstances. I just think that kids don't do enough independent play these days.....definitely not like our generation did when we were growing up! Kids don't do enough playing outside either! 
    I agree with that for sure... it makes me a little sad because DH and I both grew up on the east coast in NY and NJ where there's neighborhoods and woods and creeks and rivers and nature. We live in Vegas and I know it won't be quite the same experience. At the same time, I don't think there's necessarily a "wrong" way to grow up. People often remark that kids play too many video games, are on the computer too much and watch too much TV and while I agree with that to a certain extent.... those kids may be the next computer programmers, the next millionaire iphone app creator or the next Oscar winner. Just because a kid doesn't run around playing kickball in the street til dusk doesn't mean he or she is doomed or deprived.
  • Options
    chanfa said:
    Taymiller said:
    chanfa said:
    I'm only okay with it because you are cool people.
  • Options
    I don't mind the parties at work. My nightshift group and I are all pretty close, we do happy hours three times a year etc. I do however hate that my work always asks to collect money for those going through a hard time. Since this time last year we've had 4 babies be born, 2 husbands die, 2 people retire and countless other things and I shouldn't feel obligated to give them money for this. 

Hey your son died - here's $10. It's a weird sentiment and it adds up fast when every time something happens we take up collections. 

On that note- when they take up collections for me and I'm supposed to be in the dark about it I want to tell them all to save their money and just bring in food so we can chow down at 2 am but then I'd feel rude too. 

#cantwin 

• Options
    WevilleWeville member
    edited February 2016
    At my work we only really do gifts for when someone is expecting. As I'm the boss I generally buy the gift and circulate a card for everyone to sign (I run a large kids store so I've got about 6 managers and 75 sales staff). There's normally a few people who want to add in something they bought or cash but it is never suggested or encouraged with the sales team. With the managers we occasionally will decide on something as a group that's $5 each or $10 each but again if someone doesn't want to I just discreetly cover the cost. Then on their last day we fill our staff room with treats for everyone to enjoy in their own time
  • Options
    @MamaBish Haha! It's all good except for tucks. Do you know where they want you to tuck those tucks? I'm not a modest or prude person but WTH with those?! I guess I mainly just can't believe how common this is and how literally no one I've ever spoken with online or IRL has ever mentioned it until now (here on TB). I really thought hemorrhoids were only something the elderly dealt with because I've never heard anyone under the age of 80 even acknowledge their existence. Why weren't we taught about this during health class? Or in biology in college? How was I a 27-year-old woman who didn't know what a hemorrhoid was? I'm certain my phobia about tucks is going to have me needing so many of them. UGH you better be right about this all being worth it!