October 2015 Moms

Fenugreek

Anyone have success with increasing milk supply?

Re: Fenugreek

• I was taking fenugreek 3x a day and eating lactation cookies. Didn't think I noticed a difference until I stopped taking/eating. Will definitely be starting fenugreek again to boost my supply back up. I'd say it worked for me, not as well as I hoped as I'm still having to do some supplementing with formula. Also no bad side effects for me with it but everyone is different! 
  • I was also going to ask about side effects!! Thank you for sharing :) I'm trying to increase my freezer stash...I have about 200 ounces in the freezer, but I want to increase the amount so I have extra to build up and mix with foods when she's ready. I have seen a decrease in my pumping output while I'm at work--despite my chugging water, daily oatmeal, and staring at pictures of her while I pump. I'm going to keep looking into the fenugreek! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I did. I take my postnatal pills once a day I take fenugreek with every meal and I also drink mothers milkmaid tea and a fenugreek and milk thistle drink mix.I alternate days with the tea and the drink mix. This increased my supply apply I recovered from mastitis 
  • If you are taking enough you will smell like maple syrup... It's wonderful. My SO has requested that I never stop taking it. 
  • Fenugreek can make some mom's and baby gassy so just start slow and pay attention. A few toots here and there never hurt anyone, but if baby gets too gassy everyone will be miserable.
  • Another FYI, if you have thyroid issues, you shouldn't take fenugreek. 
  • @sarapagan, you might want to check out this video, my lactation consultant had me try this method out and it's helped me get more out of my pumping sessions.  There are other videos if you just google "pumping with breast compression".  I don't actually stop pumping to do the compression, I do it while I pump.  I also started taking a bit more time and sometimes get to a third let-down.  I don't get much volume at that point, but it's that good creamy hindmilk.  

https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
  • @vamomtobe Thank you so much for the video! Will be trying today!!! :)