TTC After a Loss

More fertile after HSG?

Before going to my first appointment with a fertility doctor, my Obgyn has sent me for an HSG after having an ultrasound, blood work and semen analysis on my husband. All the tests came back normal. I have heard that people say they are more fertile after the HSG. My doctor said that some people do feel that way but it's not scientifically proven. Does anyone have any experience with this? 
My doctor also says that he suggests patients take the month off of trying after an HSG because their is radiation in your body. That made sense to me but it was a little discouraging to think about even missing one month!! 

Re: More fertile after HSG?

• I've heard this too, but maybe it's just anecdotal. My doctor told me that chances were higher even if you didn't have a blocked tube because it was cleaning out the natural products that can build up in there anyways, like mucus etc. so sperm has a greater chance of meeting the egg. 
  • My RE said there might be a little boost the ~3 cycles after the HSG due to things being cleaned out (even if there is nothing observed on the test).  I have never heard anything about waiting the month you have it because of radiation.  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a nursing instructor that specializes in IF that brought this up. It can clean out your tubes and make it easier for an egg to make it through- it's not a cure-all, remember that its purpose is for testing, the possibility of getting pregnant after is just a nice potential bonus. I haven't heard anything about radiation. 
  • I had an HSG with my ob/gyn and one with my RE, both had mentioned it could potentially increase the chances by helping open the tubes (mine ended up being open) and I did not get pregnant the cycle after either HSG.  Best of luck to you!
  • *CP discussed*
    None of my health care professionals I worked with when I had my HSG mentioned "increased chances of pregnancy" associated with the procedure, but the internet certainly seems to think there is a relationship there. Personally, I did not get pregnant the same cycle as my HSG. I did get pregnant the following cycle, but it ended very quickly in a CP. I don't know if the HSG had any affect on the outcome there. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers