Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

UO Thursday

We've all got them and it's time to share. Went in a different direction with the gif this week after learning of my gif powers last time.

Re: UO Thursday

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    kns1988 said:
    I think colleges should be harder to get into academically. If colleges were about academics and not about jumping through hoops to impress prospective students and parents with the shiniest new facilities, it would be a hell of a lot cheaper. (Thinking about this a lot with the election talks lately. For the record, I'm a liberal). 
    I see why you'd say this. I kind of think student loans should be more difficult to get. If student loans weren't so easy to get, tuition wouldn't be so high because no one could afford it.

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• Options
    @Megzb510 - agree, I posted a similar sentiment a few weeks back about vocational school.  I love that society asks an 18 year old what they want to do for the rest of their life.  I'm in my mid-30's, a mother, wife, etc and I STILL don't know what I want to be when I grow up.  I spend lots of time daydreaming about my ideal job.  At 18/19/20 I would have had no idea what I like, don't like, because life guarding and teaching swim lessons isn't exactly a representation of the professional world... Sadly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    @DiFazette , that's exactly how I feel. I spent a ton of time and money on an undergrad and masters that I don't use.  It took me 10 years after graduating to realize what I would love to do is nursing. But I sort of feel like that ship has sailed and now that I have a family, it would be too hard money/time wise for me to go back. I wish someone had told me to wait a few years to figure it out, before making such a huge commitment. 
    Me: 34 DH: 36
    TTC#2 September 2015
    DD #1 born July 2014
    Clomid 50 mg x2 months- no ovulation
    Clomid 100mg x 2 months- confirmed ovulation first month, BFN
  • Options
    @HurricaneAmelia - I would have gone the nursing route, too.  After my experience with DS in the NICU, I feel compelled to become a NICU nurse.  Those women touched our lives more than we could ever repay.  It's a lot of schooling, 12 hour shifts 7 days a week and not really an easy career path with a young child and trying to have another.  Plus, there's only so many NICU nurses needed since it's so specialized. 

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    I do agree some maternity photoshoots are so cheesy. But I think those newborn photos are cute. I've heard from my friends that the photographers do a good job keeping the baby comfortable, warm and safe. I think they have warm air blowing around the baby or something. 
  • Options
    I did come across the article below a few weeks ago that sort of softened my (previously eeh/ugh) stance on maternity photo shoots. Yes, it's a flowing dress and a beach moment...  But she's got five of them in there!  If that were me with a random quintuplet conception, you had better believe I'd be immortalizing that shit in photos. 

https://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/9052916

Me - 30  DH - 36
    Married 10/12/13
    TTC #1 since 10/15
    Chart!
  • Options
    I do agree some maternity photoshoots are so cheesy. But I think those newborn photos are cute. I've heard from my friends that the photographers do a good job keeping the baby comfortable, warm and safe. I think they have warm air blowing around the baby or something. 
    This is definitely true.  I do newborn photography on the side and number 1 rule is baby safety.  What you don't see is that any shot where the baby is doing something that a baby can't be doing (like holding its head in its hands or hanging from a branch) is actually a composite shot.  The whole thing is perfectly safe. 

Also...  I use a space heater and also have the clients turn the ac off or heat on depending on the day.  I sweat my ass off during newborn shoots :) 
    Haha yep!  All of this.  I'm a newborn photog and agree that as long as you find a photographer who has experience or specializes in newborns, you're in good hands.  Baby's comfort and safety is #1.

• Options
    Yes about the pregnancy shoots!! I promised DH as soon as we started TTC that if/when we do get preg we NEVER had to that lol
  • Options
    sldp123 said:
    I'm sure this will be unpopular, but I think it's kind of weird that people lurk around this board after getting KU. I mean I know that people can read whatever posts they want, and I get that the old regs want to see people get their BFPs. But pregnant people reading and chiming in on random posts? Idk, makes me feel kinda like this is the freak show of people who haven't been able to get KU yet. I'm probably being sensitive. But that's my UO.

QBF

I agree. 

• Options
    NamelessAria said:
    And they're also probably the same people putting their 2 day old baby in baskets and things

Hahaha this just made me laugh out loud!  Baskets, wash tubs, tiny hammocks... I'm always like wut?  All this for a picture?
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• Options

snipped

...There are several women who I really looked up to and loved reading what they had to say. You could almost say they were mentors because I had no idea how little I knew about this entire ordeal before joining. When I see a TW about a siggy or being from a BMB it makes me happy to know they're still looking out for us and quietly rooting for us. I'm all like:

That's a good way to think about it. I'll still be sad and sensitive for a while, but I really like the idea of them looking out for and rooting for us. I'm going to make a conscious effort to think about that when I see them post  :)
    Me: 29, DH: 29
    Married 9/27/14
    TTC #1 since 8/15/15
    BFP: 1/2/16, EDD 9/13/16 - MMC 2/10/16
    BFP: 3/17, EDD 11/23/16
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

November 2016 April Siggy Challenge - April Showers

• Options
    cjt121413cjt121413 member
    edited February 2016

cjt121413 said:
    kns1988 said:
    I think colleges should be harder to get into academically. If colleges were about academics and not about jumping through hoops to impress prospective students and parents with the shiniest new facilities, it would be a hell of a lot cheaper. (Thinking about this a lot with the election talks lately. For the record, I'm a liberal). 
    I see why you'd say this. I kind of think student loans should be more difficult to get. If student loans weren't so easy to get, tuition wouldn't be so high because no one could afford it.
    Tuition is high because of administrative bloat, sports programs/salaries (coaches, obviously not students), and elite schools (or schools trying to be elite / move up in rankings) spending huge amounts on "perks" (super fancy dorms, state of the art fitness facilities, climbing walls, etc). Whether or not loans are accessible, tuition will be high as long as the state and federal government cut funding - and as long as schools are run like a business with overly large admin staffs and student-as-consumer mindsets. 

I agree that college isn't for everyone (I teach at a college), but it would be a great fit for many students who can't afford it due to high tuition. It's unfortunate that those students have to either take on huge debt burdens or not pursue college education, when wealthier students are able to afford it. The whole system of funding education is skewed and mostly just reinforces existing gaps between those with resources and those struggling to get by. 

/end soapbox
    The administrative bloat, sports costs, etc are part of the reason tuition is so high, especially in undergrad. The amount my undergrad school spends on sports is ridiculous, and it isn't alone.

My rant:
    When it comes to grad and professional school, at least, student loans are a big issue. Just as an example, law school is notorious for leaving its grads without jobs and with 100k and more in loans. Student loans are way too easy for a law student to get, even though the job market isn't great and getting a high-paying job right out of school is unlikely for most law school grads. There are 203 accredited law schools in the country, and most of them are very expensive. If student loans didn't pay for tuition, at least some of those schools would either go out of business or lower tuition. Now, anyone can get tons of money in student loans, so more and more law schools are opening, which means the market is saturated and there are not enough jobs to put everyone to work. So it's a vicious circle, and the schools and the government make money to the detriment of the students and grads.

Student loans are non-dischargeable in bankruptcy, and the interest rates are high. Even with the income-based repayment plans that forgive the balance after 25 years of making low payments, the fed will paid because people will have to pay federal income tax on the amount of the loan that's forgiven.

The schools have some responsibility, and of course the students do, too, but something needs to change about the way student loans are being done.

ETA: Fix typo.

• Options
    I lurk all over the boards (I like seeing the grads all happy and on their boards plus the information is great). I've seen on some BMBs this UO but reversed (or entire threads about it). That made me sad that they didn't even think lurking was okay for those not in their particular board. It made me especially sad when it was said by someone that I knew from the TTGP board (specifically about TTC lurkers). :( But the majority of the comments were against that line of thought for the same reasons @Lulucooks listed.

It also makes me happy when they do comment here. Most of the ones that comment or lurk have been here on this board before (unless it's a knottie#s or something) and we've become friends. Well, as much as you can on here. There are several women who I really looked up to and loved reading what they had to say. You could almost say they were mentors because I had no idea how little I knew about this entire ordeal before joining. When I see a TW about a siggy or being from a BMB it makes me happy to know they're still looking out for us and quietly rooting for us. I'm all like:

I totally understand this point of view, too. And I know no one is coming back here with any ill intent. I was just stating how it makes me feel, personally. I realize that doesn't mean they are wrong, and of course anyone can post anywhere they want to.

DS: June 2008
    Married: July 2015
    BFP: 5/20/16  |  EDD: 1/28/17  |  Twin boys born 1/16/17
  • Options
    I think so much of the higher Ed debt crisis is about keeping up with the f-ing joneses.  I went to a state school, I had other options, better options.  My tuition, and all other schooling expenses for me and my siblings was funded by my parents who can afford to not have their children start their adult life with a ton of debt.  I still felt (even though I wasn't footing the bill) that private college tuition was absurd (16 years ago).  Unless you are hell bent on a career that requires more than a bachelors, I think a state school is fine for most people.  Just because you were accepted into an elite (read:expensive) school does not mean your career trajectory will be any different void of a few specific professions.  I think most people want the bragging rights, for themselves or their parents.  I will encourage my child/children to go to state schools, trade schools, even start at a community college.  There is no shame in that to me as long as they do something.

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    cjt121413 said:
    kns1988 said:
    I completely disagree. I had a hard enough time getting student loans as it is. I have credit, but no history. My husband has history, but no credit. Together, we qualify for a house and vehicles, but not for student loans because we have a house and cars under our names. I've had to ask one of my brothers to co-sign for me twice, and even then it was a crap-shoot because he has good credit, but not a super-long history and no major purchases. We qualified twice, but I don't know if we'd qualify again if I need to take out another loan to finish school. If I wasn't married and independent, I'd better qualify for FAFSA, but, apparently being married with a kid and your own house/vehicles/responsibilities means you should be able to pay for school without any aid. Literally the only thing FAFSA offers me is loans. Oh, and $250 in grants. Which wouldn't even cover my gas for the semester.

So, yeah, no. Some of us rely on those loans to go to school, and it's hard enough for some of us to get them. And people can try to push scholarships and grants all you want, but if you're not a minority, you're not a teenager/fresh out of high school, or you don't have a special talent, your chance of getting one is about 0.001%. Trust me. I've applied to hundreds since going back to school last year. The only thing I've gotten is a scholarship from my work.

I'm not saying everyone should be handed money willy-nilly, but as someone who is struggling to finish school as it is, I would never say that student loans should be more difficult to get. I agree that students should be encouraged to take a year off between high school and college, and I love the vocational schools that have partnerships with high schools to offer free tuition to high school students (that's how I got my CNA) - but I wouldn't say that it should be more difficult to get loans.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    As for my own UO - which apparently my previous post was unpopular as it is; I'm not a fan of PDA. I have moments where I'm playful with hubby and in a good mood and might grab his butt if no one's looking and it's exceptionally attractive, but it gives me the heeby-jeebies when a couple sits there and makes out and gropes each other in front of me. I'm glad you're interested in each other, but, go to your freaking dorms. This old married lady doesn't want to see it.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    izza2 said:
    As for my own UO - which apparently my previous post was unpopular as it is; I'm not a fan of PDA. I have moments where I'm playful with hubby and in a good mood and might grab his butt if no one's looking and it's exceptionally attractive, but it gives me the heeby-jeebies when a couple sits there and makes out and gropes each other in front of me. I'm glad you're interested in each other, but, go to your freaking dorms. This old married lady doesn't want to see it.
    Agreed... At home I grope DHs butt as a rule.  In public though, holding hands is usually all there is.  Quick peck on the lips if there is reason too, but public making out does not happen*

*when sober.  When drunk and it's dark... I can't promise there isn't a quick playful tongue here or there.