Trouble TTC
Options

new here - sa, fertility testing

edited February 2016 in Trouble TTC
I've never tried this but don't have anyone to talk to atm. Me and so have been together 5 years ttc for 3. We've never used any form of birth control but because we're both relatively young ( in our 20s) I put off getting help. When we hit the three year mark a few months ago I decided it was time to talk to my doctor. We're still undergoing testing but we got my so sa results today. Normal count but only 35% motility and worse 7% morphology. He's suggested vitamins for a few months but thinks we will need sperm washing and iui. I havn't been able to stop crying since getting home. It will be years befor we can undertake the financial burden . I don't know what to do next.

Re: new here - sa, fertility testing

• Options
    Hello and welcome @2012wannabmomma ! I am sorry what you have been going through but I think you chose a good place to seek support. Ladies here are very supportive and it helped me so much to talk to people who also go through similar problems. Even though it is very hard to hear any bad news about your infertility, it is much better to know the reason so you could work on it and fix the problem.
    My DH`s SA results were also lower than normal a year ago, I think kinda similar to your results but it has been progressed incrementally somehow. He quit smoking and intense biking (he was biking 25k almost everyday to work and I really believed that this was the problem but we do not know), also he started to take vitamins and eating healthier. His last SA came back all normal. I think your DH results are not too bad either but did the doctor suggest to see a urologist ?
    IUI is not a hard process at all, so do not be scared. If the only problem is mild male factor, you have a good chance with IUI. If you decide to have an IUI, there are monthly IUI threads in Infertility board. Feel free to join on of those.
     It is completely okay to cry and feel down once a while but please do not let this TTC journey consume your life! I hope you feel better very soon! Best of luck with whatever you decide.
  • Options
    Hello and welcome (although sorry you find yourself here).  What sort of doctor have you been seeing?  Is it a RE (reproductive endocrinologist), OB/GYN, or something else?  I would definitely suggest working with an RE if you are not already--this is their specialty.  I don't have experience with a urologist, but it could be an option for more recommendations for your sig other.  

You mentioned the $$ issue.  It is definitely rough to have to think about this expense just to try to have kids (nevermind how much kids cost once you have them!).  Have you gotten price estimates for IUI?  Might it be an option for you to take meds to increase how many eggs you release (like Clomid) along with TI to increase the odds that a sperm capable of fertilizing an egg will find one?  I would bring that up with your RE if IUI is out of reach for you right now and you want to start interventions.  Acupuncture could be another option (and could be more affordable if covered by insurance or if you go to community acupuncture)--I go in conjunction with IUI cycles, but I have also heard of it being used for MFI.   
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for the support. We're seeing an ob/gyn for the testing then we're going to make the choice to either stay with him or be refered to the nearest re (3 hour drive away). I still have to do the hsg but my tests so far have been normal.The basic price for iui will start at 500 without the meds per round and my insurance will not help at all. Thank you for the suggestions I will defenitly ask about the urologist at my next check up. Best of luck and thank you
  • Options
    I did not realize the financial side while writing my message , i am sorry. If everything is okay with your ovulation, you probably will not need too much medication so that it might not get too expensive. Best of luck to you. 
  • Options
    BrightenMySkyBrightenMySky member
    edited February 2016
    @ZoeFer as I mentioned in my post, meds can be used in cases of MFI even when there are no ovulation issues (although I totally agree that hopefully the meds will be straightforward and not too $$).  Kind of sucks to have to take meds when I have nothing "wrong," but it is what it is, and we wanted to max our chances.  @2012wannabmomma I hope you can figure out a path forward soon.  Good luck to you.  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • Options
    *BFP mentioned*

Sorry to hear what you're going through. DH had very similar numbers as yours with his SA. He was referred to a urologist and the dr wasn't too concerned. He did a physical exam which didn't reveal any issues. He sent DH for a 2nd SA and said if the numbers came back the same or better then he didn't need to see DH again. Only if the numbers came back lower did he want to do additional testing. He did say we had a slightly lower chance of getting a BFP than others so it might take us a little longer. We ended up getting our BFP the week DH was set to go for his 2nd SA. Semen can vary so much from day to day and month to month so they usually say 1 SA doesn't reveal much. Anybody can have a bad day. 

I would ask for a referral to a urologist, I think it's pretty standard for your OB/GYN to refer DH to one if there's a question about the SA results and they can rule out any physical causes for the low motility.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @KidShrink yes thank you for clarification, i wanted to say high doses , expensive injectables etc. I think clomid and letrozole are not very expensive. For example I am getting letrozole and i buy it for 7 dollars with walgreens code even though my insurance doesnot cover it for fertility treatments.
    Also, @2012wannabmommaYou said that everything is fine with you but when you talk to your doctor , maybe you could ask if there is any other tests to investigate more. If you could see an RE , even the blood tests they do is more extensive. I highly recommend you to see an RE if possible. Best of luck !!!
  • Options
    My husbands first SA was terrible, he was VERY low in all areas. 3 months later he is now normal in all areas. He liked hot baths/hot tubs and since he has stopped his SA dramatically improved. He also took more vitamins and tried to be as healthy as possible. The RE also said sometimes sperm can come in cycles, so one bad SA is not as a bleak as it seems. Please keep your head up. I remember being devastated after his first SA but today we got the second test results and I am on cloud 9. 

Also financially chances are if you're fairly healthy IUI could still be an option...and it is much cheaper than IVF. I live in Canada and IUI is around $350 a pop and IVF is closer to $30,000 although I know it is much more expensive in USA.