Infertility

Prometrium (progesterone supplement) has anyone used this?

rchef21rchef21 member
edited February 2016 in Infertility
So I just picked up my prescription. The pharmacist said to take it vaginally... I read the directions and it doesn't say anything about taking it vaginally, just oral.. So, I just stick this pill up there then?? Sorry, TMI!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Prometrium (progesterone supplement) has anyone used this?

• They also don't say that estrogen pills should be taken vaginally, yet I have to do it twice a day during my FET cycles, lol! So in answer to your questions, yes, progesterone supplements generally get inserted vaginally. Especially if that is what the pharmacist says.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Yup, right up there. Be warned, it's messy. Plan to have panty liners on at all times. 
  • Loading the player...
  • So... Can you have sex? Or do that before hand? Hmm I think I should google this... Lol

• LizzieJ13LizzieJ13 member
    edited February 2016
    I also posted about this today as I was prescribed Prometrium suppositories this morning. I was kinda also wondering about the sex part.... and the mess part.... 
    Me: 33, PCOS with anovulation
    DH: 36, No known issues
    TTC since 11/2014
    1000mg Metformin daily

Oct-Dec 2015: Letrozole 5mg, Ovidrel, TI = BFN x 2
    Feb-May 2016: Letrozole 5mg, Ovidrel, TI, Prometrium = BFN x 3
    August 2016: Clomid 100mg no response, Letrozole 5mg, Ovidrel, TI, Prometrium = BFN

• @rchef21 and @LizzieJ13I put mine in right after my last pee before I got in bed for the night. I would recommend finishing with sex at least an hour before so you can dry out a bit (assuming you don't use condoms). And they are extremely messy so you will most likely need a panty liner at all times.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• So..... Question for you!  Does this pill just dissolve?  I shouldn't have to worry about it falling out, right? lol

• It won't fall out but I did have some instances of the outer casing not dissolving all the way and had some little chunks of it in my panty liner or when I wiped after using the bathroom. I had to take mine 2/day (morning and night). I would actually set my alarm for about an hour earlier than normal, get up, pee, shove it up there, go back to bed for an hour and then there wasn't as much of a mess when I got up for the day. Like others have said, I would then put it in after my last pee for the night and went to bed.

Me and DH still had sex - usually right after work so that way the one from the morning had already absorbed what it was going to and there was enough time before I had to put my night one in. After a few days on it though, I just felt icky (bloated; sore boobs, etc.) that sex was not even on my radar.

My doctor told me to "shove it up as far as you can stick your finger, and then try giving it a little 'flick'" Make sure your hands are dry, otherwise the pill can stick to your finger a little bit.

• Mine never fell out . As long as you get it up there it should dissolve . And like others said , it gets messy . One time I got a yeast infection from it bc of all the moisture . Other times I was fine . Ugh I have to start it again this weekend . Not looking forward to it . I will also warn you that it made me bloat a LOT. I know everyone is diff but don't be surprised if that happens . It'll all be worth it .. Even if it sucks now . 

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • Ugh this doesn't sound fun... thanks for the tips though!
    TTC since 11/2014
    1000mg Metformin daily

August 2016: Clomid 100mg no response, Letrozole 5mg, Ovidrel, TI, Prometrium = BFN

• @LizzieJ13 @rchef21 Did your pills come with an applicator? If not, maybe the pharmacist can give you some. It's like a tampon applicator and makes it so much easier. 
    The pill does dissolve and it will seem like a lot of it comes out during the day and when you pee. It looks chalky and yes, make sure you wear pantyliners. 
    Have sex either before you put it in! 

Me: 26 DH: 29
    Married Dec 2012
    TTC since Jan 2013, interruptions by DH deployments
    Diagnosis: unexplained 
    April 2015, Clomid + gonal f, natural, BFN
    Oct 8 2015, Clomid + brevelle, too many follis (10!)- cancelled
    Nov 18 2015, Follistem + Ovidrel + Progesterone, 1 folli, IUI #1 on 12/11, BFN
    Dec 24 2015, Follistem + Ovidrel + Progesterone, 1 folli, IUI #2 on 1/15, BFN
    Jan 29 2016, Follistem + Ovidrel + Progesterone, 2 follis, IUI #3 on 2/11, BFN
    March 2016, Follistem + Ovidrel + Progesterone, 2 follis, BD at home this time,BFN
    IVF: Stim's start 4/23, ER May 4th, 8 embabies frozen
    FET #1 5/31/16, transferred 1 embryo- BFP: Beta 6/8/16 111, Beta 6/14/16 1800....m/c, d&c 7/15/16
    FET #2 9/21/16, transferred 1 embryo......BFP!!: Beta 10/1/16 493, Beta 10/3/16 1155
    SINGLETON- EDD June 9th, 2016

• @Tusername , I went to pick up the Rx yesterday to start today, and the pharmacy didn't have it!! So I'm not sure if it will come with an applicator but that would certainly make it easier...

I had to wait today to call my RE's office to see if they can put the Rx in again, which is frustrating... I took my HCG shot Thursday evening, so I guess tonight will make it 4 days which is when I was supposed to start anyway.
    TTC since 11/2014
    1000mg Metformin daily

• I take them you do need to shove them in, never had one fall out although the discharge is gross where a pad. I also got a yeast infection one time from it because it does make you moist. I take them two times a day ugh
  • Anybody have issues with nausea on Prometrium? I was ok the first week after my IUI but I have started feeling sick a lot lately--I'm assuming from the Prometrium--any thoughts? (This is my first month on it). Thanks!
    Me: 29 DH: 28
    Together since 2008, married Sept 2013
    ttc #1 since July 2014
    DX: unexplained infertility
    Sept, Oct, Nov Clomid 50 mg: BFN
    Feb 2016 IUI w/ 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel, Prometrium: BFN
    March 2016 IUI w/ 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel, Prometrium: BFN
    June 2016 IVF: BFP 6/28!!! beta #1: 358, beta #2: 1428, beta #3: 3742

Pregnancy Ticker
  • . I'm only on day 3, and not noticing any symptoms yet. I hope nausea isn't something to look forward to, though!
    TTC since 11/2014
    1000mg Metformin daily

• I thought of another question - if I am not pregnant this cycle, will AF arrive even if I'm still taking the progesterone? Or do I test at 14dpo and stop taking it if the test is negative even if I haven't gotten AF yet?
    TTC since 11/2014
    1000mg Metformin daily

• @LizzieJ13 If I am remembering correctly, my doc told me to take the Progesterone until my period starts or a BFP.

---Trigger warning---

Me: 31 DH: 27
    TTC since April 2013
    Two cancelled IUIs in Aug and Sept '15 due to low motility/count
    IVF round 1: January 2016
    ER: February 17, 2016; 9 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 5 BB, 1 AB, all normal from PGS
    FET date: May 11, '16; transferred 1 AB embryo
    First beta: May 23, '16: 998!!  Second: May 25, '16: 1648
    EDD: January 27, 2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was on progesterone 200mg twice a day. First failed IUI, got af right at 14 days past IUI while on the progesterone. The next 2 IUI cycles I tested before my beta and stopped progesterone when I got a bfn. Af came right on time both cycles, only tested day before beta both times.
  • @LizzieJ13 I did the progesterone suppositories also during my IUI's, I always stopped on 14dpiui after BFN, AF would take anywhere from 3-6 days to show. I know everyone is different but it can delay AF by a few days. My average was about 3 days only one cylce did it take 6 days. 

Me 25 DH 27

TTC #1 since June 2014

DX tubule factor IF of remaining Tube

IUI#1 July 2016 BFN

Lap AUG 2015 to remove RH tube for Hydro

IUI#2 OCT 2015 BFN

IUI#3 NOV 2015 BFN

IUI#4 JAN 2016 BFN

IVF#1 April 2016

8 egg retriever/mature, 5 fertilized,

1 made it to 5db and transferred 4/30

Beta 5/9: 3.7 CP :(

IVF#2 hopefully AUG 2016

• Ok, so I'm 11 dpo, I took a test last night...... Negative....  I know it's early, but I just thought I'd do it for the fun of it.  I'm not going to let it get me down, because I know its early.  

So... Some of my symptoms today......  Feeling a little crampy, and a tad of nausea...  Any symptoms for you all that have or are taking prometrium? 

• @rchef21 FX for you! I seem to remember being crampy a bit with my progesterone (was on it last year after an IUI.) I can't remember nausea per se, but it wouldn't surprise me.

---Trigger warning---

Me: 31 DH: 27
    TTC since April 2013
    Two cancelled IUIs in Aug and Sept '15 due to low motility/count
    IVF round 1: January 2016
    ER: February 17, 2016; 9 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 5 BB, 1 AB, all normal from PGS
    FET date: May 11, '16; transferred 1 AB embryo
    First beta: May 23, '16: 998!!  Second: May 25, '16: 1648
    EDD: January 27, 2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been nauseous and crampy as well @rchef21. I've also been SO tired. Anybody else exhausted from this stuff? I'm 11dpiui so we are on exactly the same schedule :) I haven't tested yet, trying not to before beta but we will see how I fare through the weekend. My crazy hopeful side wants to think I'm pregnant and that's why I feel this way, my sensible side is telling me to stop symptom spotting lol. I guess we will see soon! FX we get BFPs!
    Me: 29 DH: 28
    Together since 2008, married Sept 2013
    ttc #1 since July 2014
    DX: unexplained infertility
    Sept, Oct, Nov Clomid 50 mg: BFN
    Feb 2016 IUI w/ 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel, Prometrium: BFN
    March 2016 IUI w/ 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel, Prometrium: BFN
    June 2016 IVF: BFP 6/28!!! beta #1: 358, beta #2: 1428, beta #3: 3742

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've been exhausted for a couple days @msirni0 - not sure if it's the Prometrium but I was so tired I felt like I was going to fall asleep when driving home last night. Of course I'm only on day 4 of it so who knows. I also noticed pretty bad cramps last evening. You and @rchef21 are so close to testing!! FX for you!
    TTC since 11/2014
    1000mg Metformin daily

• @msirni0   @LizziJ13  I've been tired as well.  I thought it was from the Letrozole??  When I was taking that 3 weeks ago, I noticed at night, I fell right to sleep, but then I woke up in the middle of the night and pretty much have a sleepless night from then on.....  

Yes, my symptoms today are more crampy, and from what my App tells me, I should be in implantation mode right now...... Here's to hoping that's the reason for cramps!!!!  

Ugh! This wait is KILLING me!!!!!! FX for all of you!

• Prometrium made me super tired, crampy, bloaty, etc. Basically PMS times 10 for me. I am always exhausted a few days before I get my period so the extra progesterone just magnified it for me.
  • I got my test results back - on CD 20 my progesterone level is 16.9 even with Prometrium, which seems low to me but the nurse says it means I did ovulate. So.... can anyone else compare?
    TTC since 11/2014
    1000mg Metformin daily