April 2016 Moms

What are you planning on wearing during labor?

2»

Re: What are you planning on wearing during labor?

• I am doing the water birth again so I'll probably wear a bathing suit top or a Cami. Then I always pack super comfy, stretchy clothes to come home in :)
  • U must have had the epidural. I did with my fist and they wouldn't let me out of bed for hours as well. It's sucked!! My butt hurt so bad. Buy I had an all natural water birth with my second (wayyyy better) and I was able to get up right after the placenta was born. I got a shower and everything like an hour after she was born.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've given birth naked all five times. In the hospital, I wore the gown for the earlier bits, but it came off later. At home, I wore different things earlier on... At my third, I wore the only dress that fit me at that point for probably 43ish hours, and then got in the birth pool with a bikini top on. I stripped that off when I got out because I didn't like pushing in the pool. At my fourth, I was naked in bed when labor started, threw on a robe to pace for maybe twenty minutes, then got in the bath to try slowing labor down (didn't work). My fifth I also wore a comfy dress, and because I was chilly off and on, a long cardigan. I threw on a robe when I got out of the bath after he was born. All of them I've worn an easy access nightgown for the first 24 hours or so, after which I just got dressed in normal clothes that had nursing access. 
  • It's not like I'm gonna be looking fabulous either way, so I'm just planning on packing black maternity pants and top layers in case I get hot or cold
  • jonesl12jonesl12 member
    edited February 2016
    Hospital gown and fuzzy  socks 
  • While I adore all the 'pretty, flowy' robe/gowns sold on Etsy, I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on something that is going to end up covered in goop, sweat and "birthy stuff" (yes, that's a technical term, y'all).
    So I hadn't considered anything other than the hospital gown and socks with grips on the feet.  I may bring a robe, but it will be just for keeping warm or lounging around after the baby is worn.
  • With my first son I labored in the tub pretty much the whole time and wore a nursing sports bra and when I got out of the tub I wore a skirt that was made for going over bathing suits and ended up taking the skirt off once I had to get on the bed and push.

This time I will probably do the same thing.
                                                                         Image result for i breastfed my baby 1 year

• I have two pretty flowery robes...one to get nasty during labor, and one for recovery afterwards. I'm having a birth photographer during the labor, so I wanted something slightly nicer than a hospital gown.
  • C section mamas do they really do more than 1 "vaginal car wash" as TB likes to call it? Meaning they will need access to your lady bits for a certain amount of time? 
    I don't recall exactly, but I remember them needing to be checking on things, removing the cath, etc for at least the first 36 hours-48 hours, so I didn't put pants on until after the second night when I was trying to get up and walk around a bit.
    Do I want to know what this is? 
    @amadorrose she's talking about the catheter... if you get an epidural, they have to give you a catheter too, since you can no longer feel/control when you are peeing. It's really not a big deal, I didn't even really know it was there because I think I got the epidural first? It's such a blur.
    Oh god I was so scared they were going to give some sort of douche! I was aware of the catheter but almost lost it at the idea of a "vagina car wash."
    It's when they come and clean you all up after the csection. Peri bottle rinse, wipe down, check incision, manage the catheter. Most people are not in any position to get up and go to the bathroom for at least a day (or at least I wasn't) and they need to keep the area clean from the blood and discharge. Sorry, tmi but true.
    Don't be sorry - this is so much better than I expected. 
    Glad this was explained. TB just doesn't go much into detail but I had a feeling it was regarding clean up after c section. Ugh I hate catheters!
  • I haven't been active here in a bit, so I hope it's okay that I chime in.

I am hoping to be pretty active during labor (walking, using a ball, etc.), so I found some doula-made clothing that allows you to be active, covered (I am super self conscious, but realize this will likely go out the window mid-labor), yet accessible medically. I got a skirt and sports bra from here: https://www.birthinbinsi.com/
  • so this is a question for moms who have gone through the process before - do you usually fit into pre-pregnancy clothes post birth? i assumed i would have to wear my maternity clothes, but i have jeans, dress pants and one pair of workout pants. i do have stretchy yoga pants that i was able to wear until 4-5 months - would that really fit me post birth?
    ~~When you wish upon a star ~~

• so this is a question for moms who have gone through the process before - do you usually fit into pre-pregnancy clothes post birth? i assumed i would have to wear my maternity clothes, but i have jeans, dress pants and one pair of workout pants. i do have stretchy yoga pants that i was able to wear until 4-5 months - would that really fit me post birth?
    i don't have personal experience and some moms definitely bounce back faster, but I was always told that you'll be similar in size to about the six month mark. Also, there's no freaking way I'm wearing jeans home. If you want to look cute, a flowy dress or tunic and leggings would work. I'm planning on some baggy sweats, a nursing tank, and one of DH's shirts. 
    I still had a legit baby bump for about 4 days post birth. We left the hospital after a day and a half. I wore a baggy t shirt and maternity jeans home. Trust me... You don't want to pack something that MIGHT fit. Squeezing yourself into pants that don't quite fit is uncomfortable and will make you sad. Do yourself a solid and get some cheap lose pants and loose top.
    I still had a legit baby bump for about 4 days post birth. We left the hospital after a day and a half. I wore a baggy t shirt and maternity jeans home. Trust me... You don't want to pack something that MIGHT fit. Squeezing yourself into pants that don't quite fit is uncomfortable and will make you sad. Do yourself a solid and get some cheap lose pants and loose top.
    Oh maybe it wasn't clear - I have maternity jeans and dress pants. I just don't have yoga / jogging pants or any type of casual loose dress. I guess I'll just pack/ wear jeans and hope they are comfy enough. 
    ~~When you wish upon a star ~~

• I got one of these (https://www.amazon.com/Bellymoms-Cotton-Maternity-Labor-Gown/dp/B00T6O6K78)

It's cute and seems comfy but I will definitely need a bra underneath or there will be a free boob show for all. Definitely not made to cover larger boobies! I feel kind of silly getting something that I will probably throw out afterward because of the ick factor but I wanted to not feel completely hideous while giving birth.

I'm still trying to figure out what to pack for after delivery. I literally have never even owned yoga pants. I usually wear running shorts around the house but I have none that fit during pregnancy and I have yet to find any maternity yoga pants that don't give me total camel toe. =/
  • Plan is to give birth in the hospital gown provided with a nursing bra on and then change into something else as soon as I get to shower. Will bring a bunch of comfy leggings/yoga pants and tank tops, with a light robe or zip up hoodie if it gets chilly. Hopefully I'll pack the hospital bag next week :) 

• I recently found some black pants through Target.com that I plan to bring with me, probably for the going home stage.  They're modal fabric (intended for pjs), come in black and gray, and they have extra long sizes (hallelujah!).  I'm able to easily wear them now either over or under the belly because they're really stretchy, and they'll be great to accommodate a c section incision.  I think they were $16.99.  

I also ordered an inexpensive kimono robe from Etsy that I plan to wear after birth but it hasn't come in yet.
  • I did hospital gown last time, and then when I was ready to change into my own clothes, mainly comfy, loose pants and a button-down pj set from Target (their brand Gilligan and O'Malley).  I didn't realize you could wear a sports bra though!  Is that allowed?  Would love to have some additional coverage this time if it's allowed!
  • You can totally wear a sports bra - my doctor recommended wearing one that clasps in the front, as it's easier to get on & off.  If you have any pain meds via an IV, a typical sports sports bra will be hard to get off because it has to go up and over your head, and usually winds up hanging on the IV drip (according to her ;)
    She suggested a clasp-front bra, or a maternity tank top (Target sells these).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • You can totally wear a sports bra - my doctor recommended wearing one that clasps in the front, as it's easier to get on & off.  If you have any pain meds via an IV, a typical sports sports bra will be hard to get off because it has to go up and over your head, and usually winds up hanging on the IV drip (according to her ;)
    She suggested a clasp-front bra, or a maternity tank top (Target sells these).
    Yup - mine hung out on my IV drip for pushing through the end of the last bag of fluids (required with the epi). The nurses said it was pretty standard - hook for fluids, hook for antibiotic/pain meds and a hook for the sports bra ;) 
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker