May 2016 Moms
Options

STMs: When do checks for dilation/effacement start?

I'm going to be 30 weeks tomorrow, and interestingly enough, so doctor has checked down there since I've been pregnant (I was expecting more checks, don't know for what, maybe because I used to get those 'nice' intravaginal ultrasounds on a way too regular basis with fertility treatments?). Just wondering when your doctor's have first checked you for dilation/effacement? Does that start with the weekly appointments around week 36? 

Re: STMs: When do checks for dilation/effacement start?

• Options
    It is possible to introduce bacteria into your cervix when they do cervical checks which is why they do not do them frequently (my OB's explanation). I was checked only once before my water broke and that was around 38 weeks. For me, the cervical check was very, very uncomfortable...I wasn't begging for more and they're not standard at my practice. You have to ask for them. I'm sure that when you start your weekly appointments (around 36 weeks) your Doc will let you know if they conduct cervical checks or not. 
  • Options
    To clarify: not looking forward to them ;) Just curious. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it was around 36-37 weeks that I requested to be checked since I was having a lot of BH.  I remember being a fingertip dialated then and I was 2 cm when I was induced at 39 1/2 weeks.  
  • Options
    I didn't have them until 36 weeks last time. They hurt like hell and I'm not looking forward to them! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I only had one prior to my water breaking and it was during my 38 week appointment. I was not prepared for how uncomfortable it would be at all. I literally scooted up the exam table, so my doctor told me she didn't even know if I was dilated because I ran away from her.
  • Options
    I actually didn't get one until I was almost 2 weeks late. I did not want them, but by that point I was curious.
  • Options
    My midwives don't do any unless you ask for it
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Options
    Sorry, maybe I'm a total dork, but why would your doctor check you if you aren't experiencing early labor symptoms?
  • Options
    My doctor checked at 38w, and offered to check at 36w when he did the strep swab, but I declined. Usually, visits are pants-on until 36w.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! It's interesting to know they're optional. One of my close friends delivered on the 13th, and had at least 2-3 checks before giving birth at 40w6d. I figured this was standard practice, but makes sense if it's not considering how it doesn't necessarily predict when baby will come. 
  • Options
    hellogoodbye2hellogoodbye2 member
    edited February 2016
    I was having tons of BH's in 3rd tri so I was first checked at 35w. This time I'm going to have my doc hold off until at least 38w.

ETA - cervical checks did not hurt for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a FTM so this doesn't totally apply to me but I had to be checked 3 weeks ago when I showed signs of preterm labor. DUDE! Nothing in my life prepared me for the pain and discomfort of a cervical check. I usually think of myself as a tough cookie with a high pain tolerance but I scooted away from the doctor quickly. Almost instinctively. I'm in no way looking forward to having that done again. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • Options
    I only had one last time prior to labor, at 38 weeks.  It was uncomfortable, but not painful in my case.
  • Options
    I already regret asking this, but why do they hurt?  Is it not just like sticking a finger up there?  Do I even want to know the answer to my own question?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @AnastasiaBeaverhausen09 good question! I don't even think the thought of it being painful had crossed my mind when I asked this question initially. Why would it hurt if you're just checking?
  • Options
    Supposedly it feels like a pap because they usually will take a sample to test for strep at the same time. Also, some doctors will clear the membranes below your uterus- this is techically a method of induction, but not all doctors will tell, and it is not immediately effective.  FTM, but learned this from birthing class.
  • Options
    I already regret asking this, but why do they hurt?  Is it not just like sticking a finger up there?  Do I even want to know the answer to my own question?
    I wasn't scared about child birth or labor until I read this post. Why must everything be so painful?

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    yogahh said:
    I wasn't scared about child birth or labor until I read this post. Why must everything be so painful?
    So that we can hang guilt over our husband's and children's heads about what we went through for them?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'll say that I've never felt pain during a Pap smear but for whatever reason, the cervical check was horrendous for me. Like others, I scooted away from the doctor because it was so uncomfortable. She told me in advance it could be painful and oh, it was. 

• Options
    I had them starting at 36 weeks with my first two and I remember it being very uncomfortable/painful  from just how far the doctor had to push their hand up there to get to the cervix. There is a lot of pressure down below and they will be trying to push down on your stomach to make it lower (at least that how I remember it). The actual touching of my cervix just felt weird...  :/
  • Options
    yogahh said:
    The good news is I don't remember them being painful when I was in labor before the epidural. But maybe it's only painful if you're not dialated at all? 

• Options
    @Bltbear82 I was 4cm the first time she checked at 36 weeks and it was still horrible. The adrenaline of labor though could take away some of the pain I would imagine. I do think the ones at the hospital before I got my epidural weren't as intense. 

• Options
    slfezz said:
    I had them starting at 36 weeks with my first two and I remember it being very uncomfortable/painful  from just how far the doctor had to push their hand up there to get to the cervix. There is a lot of pressure down below and they will be trying to push down on your stomach to make it lower (at least that how I remember it). The actual touching of my cervix just felt weird...  :/
    All of this. It's painful because the hand is wayyyyy up there. 
  • Options
    Jenly17 said:
    slfezz said:

...... don't they just have a ruler they can stick up there as opposed to a hand? This sounds super uncomfortable. Eeeek.
  • Options
    Nope, it's all manual. 
  • Options
    kp90 said:
    Jenly17 said:
    slfezz said:

...... don't they just have a ruler they can stick up there as opposed to a hand? This sounds super uncomfortable. Eeeek.
    If only. If you've heard people say that they're fingertip dilated (basically 1cm or less)...that was literally a gloved finger measuring.
  • Options
    Good Lord, this is the first time in my pregnancy I am absolutely terrified, after reading this thread and googling the topic. AHHH.
  • Options
    I shouldn't have read this. I didn't imagine this would be something else that hurt. Something else to look forward to now. Yay! :neutral: 
  • Options
    I was told that they'll start doing my cervical checks starting at my next appointment, 28 weeks. I'm having twins, though, so that's probably far earlier than they'll start checking y'all. 

Can't be more painful than an HSG, can it?
  • Options
    @khochanadel : I think we may have an advantage over other FTMs having had all kinds of stuff done up there ;) Hopefully not more painful than an HSG!
  • Options
    Don't be scared, ladies! If you re truly terrified you don't HAVE to get checked. You can always deny them!

For me, I had one every week from 35-40 weeks. Weeks 35-39 I wasn't dilated at all and cervix was high...those didn't hurt. Week 40 I was 1/2 cm dilated and that one hurt only because she tried to sweep my membranes, but was unsuccessful.
  • Options
    This sounds terrible! I always get a vasovagal reaction from pap smears (apparently this can happen to some people when the cervix gets touched), and am just imagining how hard I'll have to try not to pass out if I have to do this. Also wondering if this ever happens to people like me during labor - hope not!
  • Options
    Pascal86 said:
    This sounds terrible! I always get a vasovagal reaction from pap smears (apparently this can happen to some people when the cervix gets touched), and am just imagining how hard I'll have to try not to pass out if I have to do this. Also wondering if this ever happens to people like me during labor - hope not!
    That sounds awful. I'd ask your doctor about that. 
  • Options
    I am utterly terrified now

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    OMG  I'm going to go hide now.

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Options
    If y'all didn't know, there is no real science to dialation. Doctors check my feel, and different people checking could tell you different things. Better not to take much stock in it. I'll be turning them down until I reach my due date.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers