May 2016 Moms
Options

Charlie Horses anyone?

lately I've been having cramping/Charlie horses in my lower legs at night. Last night they must have gone on even after I fell back asleep because my whole left leg is sore and uncomfortable. Anyone else experiencing this oh so awesome pregnancy symptom? I know that flexing your leg while it's happening and yoga can help it a bit but I'm wondering if any other mamas have found any other good treatments

Re: Charlie Horses anyone?

• Options
    All the time!!!! It's one of be worse ways to wake up in the middle of the night!!! My husband said that drinking more water will help with them (crazy body builder). If your figure out a way to get rid of them please pass on the info 
  • Options
    I've always heard it's a lack of potassium. Try some bananas or Gatorade and see if it helps. 

cat fail animated GIF

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've started taking some extra magnesium and that helped a lot for me. 
  • Options
    Ugh. Not yet...and hopefully never! Last pregnancy, I got them all the time. The first time, I got it in both legs at once and woke up literally screaming at the top of my lungs. DH thought something horrible was happening with the baby...oops.
  • Options
    Yep. Increasing potassium, magnesium, and calcium along with water helps to prevent them. Ex: milk, almonds, and 1/2 banana before bed. Once it's already happened, putting your foot flat on a cold surface  (like the bathroom floor) helps get the blood moving and loosens the muscle again pretty quickly. Any time I've tried to just power through one instead, it's tender the next morning too.
  • Options
    Unfortunately. I got one yesterday early morning before I woke up and it pulled the muscle in my calf. I can barely walk. No advice other than what others have already said, I hope no one else's are as bad as mine. :-/

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Stretch the heck out of your calves throughout the day, any chance you get. Mine cramp up at night when I've been slacking off on stretching. I like the ones here:

https://nutritiousmovement.com/raise-your-foot/

I also second the staying hydrated recommendation, pre-pregnancy mine only cramped when I worked out a lot and got dehydrated. I do take a magnesium supplement, but have no idea if it helps or not. 
  • Options
    Ugh, it's the worst! 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I got them in my feet and calf all the time with my first pregnancy. I am of course getting them again but the other night I woke up to one in my thigh... Now that is the worst place to get them! 
  • Options
    Ugh!! The worst!! I got one last night and woke up crying it hurt so bad. SO woke up to me screaming, so he was able to massage it until it relaxed enough that I could fall back to sleep. But yep it's still sore today. I also heard potassium helps. So I am going to try that 
  • Options
    I get leg cramps when I don't do regular stretches and eat enough potassium (which for me means bananas and yogurt). Usually, but not always, I get warnings in the sense of tension and discomfort in my legs for about 12 hours before any serious cramps hit, which give me enough notice to take preventative action before it gets worse.

Anyway, no new advice here, just another testimonial that as far as I can tell, stretching/yoga and potassium (and probably hydration, although I've never had an issue with that so can't be sure what effect its deficiency would have) are effective to stop and prevent the cramps here, too.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I usually eat a banana in the morning but I'm gunna try one at night too. 
    I know some people mentioned magnesium. I've heard it's good post birth too. Anyone know where I can get more info on the benefits of magnesium?
  • Options
    Not as bad this time as last time.  Of course, last time mine was bad because I also had a blood clot in my calf.  I thought I was having one really long charley horse and I was sore for weeks.  I mentioned it to the dr, but he really didn't think much of it (7th baby and no previous issues).  We didn't find out it was a clot until after the baby was born.  But Gatorade, cashews, and a liquid cal-mag did help the cramping not associated with the clot.  I found my cal-mag at local health food type store.

Just wanted to add, I have a clotting disorder that we didn't know about and that's why I got the clot.  I don't want you to freak out! That was just my experience last pregnancy. It felt just like any normal charley horse, but lasted so much longer than normal.  If the pain continues and your leg swells, or hurts in one spot, or any other clot symptoms, it wouldn't hurt to mention it to or your dr.  

• Options
    Yup! Been having them for the past month, they are more painful than ever and I wake up nearly screaming. Stretching during the day seams to be the only thing I can to to minimize the chance that I get them. 
    At 29 weeks I started getting RLS, don't know if they are related at all.

• Options
    Yes!  I had them very bad with my first pregnancy and my doctor told me I needed to add more potassium to my diet.  I started eating a banana a day and they disappeared!  Maybe adding that extra one at night like you said will help.  Good luck!
    photo 3b43f478-6280-4d47-9376-66fc916418a0_zpslewcrjtbjpg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    As PP's have said.. extra potassium and increase water. Stretching also helps. If you get the cramp in your feet, try standing on the edge of a step and slowly raise yourself up to stretch out that muscle, sounds painful but it will make it go away.
  • Options
    Yep...I always feel slightly silly when I wake up to a horrible spasm in my calf, my face twisted in agony while DH sleeps soundly next to me. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    Seconding what everyone else said about magnesium. I drink a teaspoon of it mixed with hot water before bed and it has the added effect of giving me a great night of sleep and keeping me regular. The brand I take is Natural Calm. 
  • Options
    Yes, mainly behind my knees. It's odd. I woke up yelling and screaming one night, and like a PP said, DH probably thought something was happening with me or the baby. Whoops. Sorry! 
  • Options
    They're the WORST!  I get them mostly in my calves at night.  Like most have mentioned, potassium (don't forget about avocados-more potassium than banasas!!), hydration, stretching and occasionally get up and walk during the day (If you have a desk job, like me).
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Gatorade! :-)

• Options
    Coconut water is a life saver for this!

Oh and sweet potatoes and baked potatoes have way more potassium than bananas -btw.