Baby Names

Still stuck on a boy's name - Keep, toss, add

DobbysSockDobbysSock member
edited February 2016 in Baby Names
ETA: I'm sorry, I didn't realize this got so long. Thank you if you make it all the way through!!

We have a DD Norah Lynn. If this next one is a girl, she'll be Isla Joan. Middle names are family names. If we have a boy, middle name will most likely be David, but if we find a name we love that doesn't go with David, other options are Anthony, Paul, Curtis, Spencer, Luke (or some variation)

We are still stuck on a boy's name, and about half way through this pregnancy (team green). Boy name options for DD were James or Julian (slight edge to Julian). We still like those names but they're not really on the list this time around, for no real reason.

Current names on the list:
Calvin 
Desmond
Harrison
Calum
Logan
Also considering Spencer as the first name (no other middle name options are up for consideration as a first name)

*Some issues: Logan is DH's cousin's name. We love him but are not naming the baby after him, so although it's still on the list I'm a little iffy on it. He wouldn't care if we used it and family wouldn't be bothered, I just like the idea of having the only "___" in the close extended family. Harrison and Calum are also on my sister's list, who is due 6 weeks before me, so may be out depending on if she uses one of them (if she doesn't, she won't care if we use it. If we told her we really loved one of them she would likely not use it for us - no name dibs drama going on here.)

To get an idea of our style if you want to add some suggestions:
Names we like but that are vetoed for various reasons (associations, family members, or just "got over" and took off our list): Miles, Theodore (Theo), Roman
Names we think are okay or are hanging on the list by a thread: Liam, Julian, Benjamin
Names I love that DH vetoed: Avery, Rowan, Caleb

This is challenging because DH literally vetoes EVERYTHING I suggest, and has given very few suggestions. The two names he has suggested are Desmond and Lincoln. I like Lincoln in a guilty pleasure sort of way, but I'm not sure if it's trying too hard, which is why it's not on the list.

Re: Still stuck on a boy's name - Keep, toss, add

• susykat77susykat77 member
    edited February 2016
    Out of all the names mentioned, Spencer David is my favorite. It is a really wonderful name.

In close second for me would be Calvin David.

Desmond is fine but nms.

Harrison is a no. 

Calum is a big no. All I can think of is Gollum. 

Logan is eh, okay. Kind of boring

Love Liam. 

Love your DD's name and your pick for a girl. 

Edited to to add other suggestions:
    Oscar, Atticus, Arlo, James, Henry, Otto, Alistair, and Frank

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Thank you! We've gotten mostly "meh" or negative feedback on Calum. The main reason I like it is because I think Cal is an adorable nickname, which is what led us to Calvin (which I am definitely liking more than Calum)
  • Loading the player...
  • Spencer David 100%, I love it!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Desmond Paul or Desmond Lucas.
  • I like Calvin way better than Calum. It's actually a really awesome name that doesn't get that much play, so now I'm kind of in love with it and desperately want you to use it. Bonus: Calvin David sounds pretty nice!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Love Callum. Love Cal more. But don't love Calvin. Second choice is spencer.
  • Keep:
    Calum/Callum - I also love the nn Cal and this is my favourite way to get there. Not many fans on here but I'm not sure why. I love it!
    Logan - It's a little more popular than the rest but I still like it.
    Spencer - Nice, not too popular.

Toss:
    Desmond - I want to like it...legit, underused name...but I just don't. 
    Harrison - I don't like the nn Harry though you could probably avoid that.

Add:
    Ronan? Morgan?
  • Keep: 
    Spencer David *my top pick
    Calvin
    Benjamin

Toss:
    Calvin 
    Desmond
    Harrison
    Calum
    Logan
    Liam
    Julian

Add:
    Ian
    Oliver
    Isaac
    Colin
    Landon
  • Love Harrison David
    Calum David is interesting, too. 

Toss Spencer. I've had two girls in my classes the last two years I taught named Spencer and they are they only two Spencer's I know-- so to me, I think girl, even though I know it's a boys name. But that's not a reason to toss, it's just NMS. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have a DS named Desmond Lane, so my vote is for Desmond! Desmond Anthony sounds nice. Cal is high on our list this time around if we have a boy, but I am struggling with the longer name as well. I love Cal as a nn but don't really care for Calum or Calvin. 
  • Keep:
    Calum/Callum - I also love the nn Cal and this is my favourite way to get there. Not many fans on here but I'm not sure why. I love it!
    Logan - It's a little more popular than the rest but I still like it.
    Spencer - Nice, not too popular.

Toss:
    Desmond - I want to like it...legit, underused name...but I just don't. 
    Harrison - I don't like the nn Harry though you could probably avoid that.

Add:
    Ronan? Morgan?
    Thanks! I actually love the nn Harry :) my brother and SIL had Harrison on their list but went with a different one because SIL didn't like Harry and my brother did. So I might just steal it (they're fine with that) although it's low on the list right now.

I don't love Morgan, I think I know too many female Morgans (my biggest pet peeve - boys name on girls), but I do love Ronan - DH vetoed (I also love Rowan, which he vetoed as well)

• ellebee2 said:
    Keep: 
    Calvin
    Benjamin

Toss:
    Calvin 
    Desmond
    Harrison
    Calum
    Logan
    Liam
    Julian

Add:
    Ian
    Oliver
    Isaac
    Colin
    Landon

You have Calvin on both the keep and toss list :) Hoping you meant to keep it! I'm loving how much love it's getting on here.

I like a lot of your Add list - my difficult husband has vetoed Ian, Isaac and Landon, Oliver is my nephew, and Colin has negative associations for me. But thank you!
  • I love the nn Harry, too. I don't know why it doesn't get more love! Lol
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • still love james the best'
    followed by desmond
  • I'm digging Spencer David. It really just leapt out of your post over allllll the others.

• ellebee2 said:
    Keep: 
    Calvin
    Benjamin

Toss:
    Calvin 
    Desmond
    Harrison
    Calum
    Logan
    Liam
    Julian

Add:
    Ian
    Oliver
    Isaac
    Colin
    Landon

You have Calvin on both the keep and toss list :) Hoping you meant to keep it! I'm loving how much love it's getting on here.

I like a lot of your Add list - my difficult husband has vetoed Ian, Isaac and Landon, Oliver is my nephew, and Colin has negative associations for me. But thank you!
    Ha. Ooops. Yes, definitely keep! (I was cutting and pasting, and must have just copied that one). My difficult husband also vetoed Ian and Isaac. I have a nephew named Landon and a close friend's kid is Oliver. Colin doesn't sound good with our LN. We ended up with Joshua for our son. 
  • PaturkeyPaturkey member
    edited February 2016
    I like Calvin, Desmond and Callum (with two l - it's very popular where I live so I'm really familiar with it). If you want the nickname Cal, another option is Caleb. Spencer is okay but it's a very preppy name in my head.

ETA: To be clear, my comment about familiarity with Callum wasn't about the spelling- I meant that I hear it a lot so it's familiar to me which might be why I seem to be in the minority as someone who likes it.
  • Paturkey said:
    I like Calvin, Desmond and Callum (with two l - it's very popular where I live so I'm really familiar with it). If you want the nickname Cal, another option is Caleb. Spencer is okay but it's a very preppy name in my head.
    I like Caleb, Dh doesn't :(