May 2016 Moms
Options

Possible preeclampsia or just high blood pressure

I am fracking out because I went to my regular Dr visit and had high blood pressure with some small amounts of protein in my urine. Dr sent me to the hospital immediately. Of course I was crying whole way there and then again when my husband got there. Luckily the hospital wasn't far so I wasn't crying and driving for long.
 Then my blood pressure was high again when they took it. Since then it's been up and down. I have been in the hospital for three days and will be here for two more at least and am working on my second 24 hour urine test. Hoping for high blood pressure we can treat with medicine rather than preeclampsia. 

All of this to say, anyone else experiencing anything like this or have preeclampsia now or with a previous pregnancy? Just need to hear some stories with happy endings. 

Re: Possible preeclampsia or just high blood pressure

• Options
    I've been dealing with some high blood pressure readings myself.  Two weeks ago I did the urine collection and blood work and everything was perfect with my results. I went to my appointment this week and my blood pressure was higher this time. I was immediately sent to labor and delivery. The Dr at my practice was very rude, and stressed me out way more than necessary. I'm actually not sure if I will even stay with this practice after the interactions I had with her.  Thankfully, at hospital every single reading of mine was in the normal range. They kept me admitted until they got my blood results back and everything was great.  The Dr recommended I take my blood pressure at home 2 or 3 times a week and call if I have any high readings. I am so anxious every time I go to my doctor's office. And I'm afraid it isn't going to be any better next time I go in because I am already a little worried about it. 

I know it isn't fun to be in the hospital but it is safest to have them monitor for a while. Keep us updated on how you are doing! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    hi there - just wanted to say I hope you're hanging in there!  How many weeks are you?
    I would recommend getting a consult with MFM or High Risk OBs that have much more experience dealing with pre-E - If you haven't already done this of course. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    (Lurking from June '16) I had this problem with my first pregnancy, and actually lost track of how many times my doctor sent me to be monitored at the hospital for high BP. My labs always came back normal though so I would get sent home, how are yours looking? My BP kept creeping up throughout my pregnancy so my dr had me get the shots they give to help develop babies lungs faster in case we needed to induce early. I actually ended up making it to 38 weeks and then delivered since he didn't see any benefit to wait longer. I had 140/80 at my last appointment, so I may be going down the same road for this pregnancy! Fingers crossed everything turns out ok for you! 
  • Options
    My BP fluctuated a lot during most of my pregnancy but I would have periods of high blood pressure. I didn't have any protein in my urine, though, until 35 weeks when my BP stayed high and wouldn't go down. At that point I had some protein in my urine and I gained 8 pounds of water weight in a week from how swollen I was. I was admitted at almost 36 weeks and kept in the hospital until I was induced at 37 weeks. 

So far so good with this pregnancy! I would definitely suggest keeping an extra eye out for developing other symptoms of pre-e in between your appointments. I hope it's not pre-e, but it's good that they are going to keep an eye on it! 
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses and well wishes!

MCB2016, that really stinks your Dr acted like that. Mine has been awesome so far and when I started crying about going to the hospital she really tried to calm me down. She has been by every day to see me since. 
    I realize I didn't give all the details so here's more. I'm at 28 weeks and obviously want to keep this bay bay in here as long as possible. My first urine test was at 300 for protein and that is the cut off line for preeclampsia so that's why I'm still here. They have me it again to see if it's going up or if it will go down. All my blood work is good and the baby's heart rate is good. She's still kicking around and moving like normal. That's really the only keeping me positive, that she seems fine. 

Next steps are wait for second test to be finished in about 4 hours and meet with the high risk OB. I'm sure she's great but I really like my current Dr so not super excited about maybe having to make a switch ( if that's how it works, idrk). 
  • Options
    @jjroxtxIf it will make you feel any better, the high risk OB or perinatologist, will likely not take over as your primary OBGYN. Typically, they consult and work in conjunction with your OB. Their goal is to get you and your little one through the pregnancy as safely as possible, not mess with labor and delivery.

Even if your OB is great, give the high risk OB a chance. I see both my OB and a perinatologist due to high BP and I absolutely love my perinatologist. They are trained differently and so is their staff, so what might get overlooked (or sometimes overblown by a traditional OB) is more easily and efficiently dealt with by them. I honestly wish my perinatologist could take over as my primary OB!

Many of us on this board are on BP medication. I take 200 mg of Labetalol twice a day and have since I was around 12 weeks and my BP is completely managed by medication. The high risk OB will be able to assess if this is a possibility for you, because remember, they've seen everything. Rest, lay on your left side (this helps lower BP), and have faith, help is coming.
  • Options
    I just wanted to say I'm glad you got some positive news, and I hope everything turns out ok.  I'll also reiterate that you'll still continue to see your regular OB, you'll just be working with a high risk doctor with more experience with these situations, as well.
  • Options
    Sharing a positive story... My cousins wife was in the hospital for awhile diagnosed with pre-E. She responded well to medication so she stayed on bedrest at the hospital. I'm not sure how many weeks along she got up to but they welcomed their baby girl last week at 6 lb 3 oz. She is adorable and they were all able to go home a day or two later :) 
  • Options
    I had severe pre-e with my first pregnancy and was on bed rest for about a month before my little dude was born via emergency CS at 34wks. I will say that as far as complications go, it wasn't so bad (but my memory might be a bit skewed considering I got pregnant again!). I will say that long-term, there have been no negative effects. My son was born very healthy at 5lb10oz and while we had to stay a bit longer in the hospital because my recovery wasn't so smooth (I was a horrible patient and pushed myself waaaay too hard!) my son and I got to go home together. Since then, he has been practically perfect in every way!

Best part, no signs of high blood pressure or pre-e this time around. And my BP normalized fairly quickly after birth so I was only on medication for about 6 weeks post-partum. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker