October 2015 Moms

Medela Pumps

Anyone else not liking their Medela pump?? I'm having a hard time with mine and don't know what to do. I have it turned to the highest power and am not feeling any suction. Have tried new membranes constantly and it doesn't seem to help. Have also tried the pumping pals falanges. I am able to hand express so I know I'm producing, just not having pump luck. Help!!

Re: Medela Pumps

• amarie1504amarie1504 member
    edited February 2016
    You may need bigger or smaller breastshields. The ones that come with all Medela breast pumps are 24 mm, but they do offer other sizes - one smaller size and a few bigger sizes. Depending on your nipple and breast size, the 24 mm shields may not be working for you. You also may need a different size for each breast if your anatomy isn't identical. I found some information about this on the Medela site (link below) that really helped me. Hope it's useful for you too!

https://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/tips-and-solutions/13/choosing-a-correctly-fitted-breastshield
  • I'm using a higher voltage adapter. I think it came with a 9 volt plug and I'm using a 12. I couldn't tell a difference in suction using the 12v plug from the PISA to the symphony. I can't turn my suction up very high, and I know it will wear my motor out quicker but it definitely has bumped up the suction. With the 9v I can hardly feel the suction
  • Loading the player...
  • I bought Medela Pump in Style through insurance and I hated it! I couldn't letdown with it. Now I have some supply issues, so the LC ordered a hospital-grade pump for me, Medela Symphony. The difference is really striking! It's even better than LO at emptying my breasts! If there is any possibility, try to get the Symphony, it's so worth it.
  • I tried the Symphony and didn't notice a difference when compared to the pump in style. 
  • I was told that going higher on the pump isn't always better. That turned out to be true for me. I get more when it's around the middle setting. I use the medala from insurance and it's working fine. Maybe play around with different settings. I would also call customer service in case the one you got is faulty!
  • I've heard customer service is great for Medela.  They can walk you through some common troubleshooting over the phone.

I have a PISA and generally get my best results on the middle-ish selection on the knob, above that doesn't seem to make much difference.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I love my medela!  Like @ColoradoHiker mentioned, my experience with customer service was really positive.  I have two pumps, one I bought prior to ACA when my son was born and one I got through insurance.  The first pump I got was faulty, and customer service was amazing.  They talked through some questions over the phone, but rather than having me mess around with it, they sent me a new one in the mail and I got it the next day!  Packed up the faulty one in a box they provided, and sent it back at no cost.  I think all I had to do was snap a picture of the receipt on my phone and e-mail it to the rep.  
  • I was told that going higher on the pump isn't always better. That turned out to be true for me. I get more when it's around the middle setting. I use the medala from insurance and it's working fine. Maybe play around with different settings. I would also call customer service in case the one you got is faulty!
    ^^ this 

On another note... You can set up an appointment with the lactation consultant and they can help with your pump.