October 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone else have a baby that is refusing to take the bottle?

burnsie36burnsie36 member
edited February 2016 in October 2015 Moms
4 months and she just refuses to take the bottle. She has been EBF. We tried when she was younger but she didn't care for it so we dropped and slowly try to pick it back up before I went back to work. My SO is on his paternity leave so he is watching her. He tries and tries to give her the bottle but she just pushes it away. She will go all day without eating and as soon as I get home and she is literally trying to get away from him so she can eat. Any advice, tips? I am nervous of her becoming dehydrated. 

Re: Anyone else have a baby that is refusing to take the bottle?

• Options
    My son does this too! I'm in desperate need of tips to get him to take a bottle. Hubby and I need a date together
  • Options
    I'm so following this thread. My son does this all the time. Sometimes I would like to just relax and nope. Relaxing time means he's attached to my breast while I'm laying down lol 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    RjmalesRjmales member
    edited February 2016
    this might help...
    My son took the bottle great at 6 weeks old but after a couple weeks I got tired of pumping and stopped. Then about 2 weeks ago i started pumping again and trying to get him to take the bottle because we are going to be visiting family in the states and i want to be able to have a date night with my hubby and leave him with grandma. Well he was not a fan when we started up again. BUT! something that started to help was there were a couple of times that i would have the bottle warmed and ready and I would let him nurse off of me and get going in a rhythm and then intermittantly i would sneak my breast out and slip the bottle in and he would latch on for a minute or so.  then we transitioned to daddy giving him the bottle after holding him off from feeding for an extra 10-15 minutes so he was really hungry. it has been going smoothly, mostly, now haha.

Hope this might help!
  • Options
    I'll try that. Mine has been bottlefed since day one (premie) at least bottlefed two- three Times since we brought her home. The last two weeks though she has refused a bottle and people actually. I don't know what happen, but she won't let anyone else hold her or feed her. She is 4 months too. 
  • Options
    My DD started doing this too! Nothing works. As soon as any sort of bottle nipple is in her mouth she stops sucking... I work and it's becoming an issue that she only wants to nurse from me.. I love it, because I love breastfeeding her but I have to work at some point... 
  • Options
    Rachel623Rachel623 member
    edited February 2016
     My first refused a bottle. I bought pretty much every brand.  We use the Soothie pacifiers. She finally ended up taking an Adiri bottle which is shaped the same way. 

During the month or so while I was back at work and she was refusing, my mom fed her with a syringe or a spoon to at least get some milk in her during the day.