November 2015 Moms
Options

Do you boil the water yo mix formula?

I'm first time mom, and will be ff my baby from now on, do you boil the water? For the past 2 days I used bottled water but didn't boil it, and I thought it was ok, until yesterday night, my mom said I should be boiling the water. And if so can I just boil water for 3 or 4 feeds at the time, or should I boil it 30 minutes before each feed?

Re: Do you boil the water yo mix formula?

• Options
    Ehhh we're straight from the tap people here, but we have town water and I know what's in it. I suppose  if I didn't know the chemical make up,  we'd boil water in large batches to get us through the day.
  • Options
    ^this, our tap water is very good. If it tasted bad or had high levels of chemicals I would use bottled water or boil the tap water. Doing both though seems like overkill. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bottled water is fine. 
  • Options
    Bottled water and even tap water is fine for the most part.  You may want to get a water filtration system.  They range from thousands of dollars to install into your home to about $20 for the kind you screw onto the faucet.  I think Flint, MI is on everyone's minds lately when it comes to safe drinking water.  If your water looks or smells off, do not feed it to your LO. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    We just use filtered water from the fridge. If you're concerned about tap water you should ask your pedi as they will know what's in the local water. I would think bottled water would be fine. WHO recommends you boil water, but I think that's because some tap water is better than other tap water depending on where you live.
  • Options
    I was recommended to boil water if using powdered formula. My supply has decreased over the past week so I've been supplementing . 

I boil a pot of water  in the morning and put it in a jug. I also make a few bottles and refrigerate them 

• Options
    I boil our tap water just to be on the safe side. I have 12 bottles, so I make 10 at a time. Every other day, I boil water, cover it and let it cool, and then pour up ten bottles at a time. LO is taking around 7 oz at each feed, so I make each bottle w 7 oz of water. I then put the bottles in the fridge, and I just take one out and warm it before each feed.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for your input.I was just worried, I thought I was going to get my LO sick by not boiling the water. 
  • Options
    If your baby is typically healthy and does not have any immune issues, we've been told that you do not need to boil water. We use filtered tap water.
  • Options
    We have used bottled water with zero issues. I couldn't breastfeed so it's 15 weeks going strong. 
  • Options
    We buy the big jugs of distilled water with the tap. It's easy to use to fill bottles and stays room temperature. Our doctor said that or tap water was fine.
  • Options
    We live in town and get warm water straight from the tap. I sent our water away for testing a while ago and they sent the results for lead and such back and it was all good. 
    Me: 28 DBF: 30
    BFP#1 07/10/14 EDD 3/14/15 Diagnosed with Blighted Ovum 08/18/14
    BFP#2  3/17/15 EDD 11/22/15
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    laswett said:
    We live in town and get warm water straight from the tap. I sent our water away for testing a while ago and they sent the results for lead and such back and it was all good. 
    I'm all for using tap water, but be aware that warm water from the tap has higher salinity. Personally id only use cold tap water, and then warm the bottle in a bowl of warm water. 
  • Options
    We have just used nursery water because of the minerals and bottled water whenever we are out and about. I've never warmed the water up or boiled anything because I was supplimenting and our pedi said since he's to body temp milk room temp bottles are fine to give. Actually a lot less work and so nice when you have a starving little dude lol
  • Options
    laswett said:
    I'm all for using tap water, but be aware that warm water from the tap has higher salinity. Personally id only use cold tap water, and then warm the bottle in a bowl of warm water. 
    Yet another thing I didn't know as a FTM. Or a homeowner in general I guess...... I looked it up, and you're right. We're back to the bottle warmer with cold tap water. 
    Me: 28 DBF: 30
    BFP#1 07/10/14 EDD 3/14/15 Diagnosed with Blighted Ovum 08/18/14
    BFP#2  3/17/15 EDD 11/22/15
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I use the nursery water but tap is completely fine
  • Options
    I only use nursery water it's only $1 for a gallon which last over a week