Do you breastfeed in public? — The Bump
Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Do you breastfeed in public?

Just wondering if any of you ladies breastfeed in public?  

Sometimes i have found myself in situations where i have had to whip my boob out with not much privacy. So far i have found everyone to just go about their business and not pay any attention when I'm doing this (:D ).

I still get really anxious about it though. 

Re: Do you breastfeed in public?

• I have done the same thing.  It used to make me uncomfortable but not so much any more
  • I feed in public as needed, and have never used a cover. I used to feel a bit uncomfortable, but now that I'm onto my 3rd baby I really don't care.

The only situation that makes me feel a bit uneasy is if I'm sitting shoulder to shoulder with a stranger, such as at church, or some other crowded venue. My breasts are huge and in those situations I really feel like I'm basically dropping my boob in their lap. My baby vomiting on them is also awkward.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

melalingaBigboobsmcgeejellybean8080ATolentino89
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a FTM with a 14w old and I BF in public and have no problem with it. My baby is my first priority. I do use a cover most of the time though. 
    mrsjustinaburrell
  • The closest I've gone to bfing in public was in my car. I unfortunately was too self conscious. It was easy and less stressful for me to just pump beforehand or feed before I left. I also had to deal with a nipple shield for awhile though. Not too easy to manipulate in public, haha.
  • I was really not into doing it in public then started getting over it but stopped BFing anyway. Honestly I wish I hadn't been self conscious about it. I would do it at my house with people over covered and my husband would be like why do you have to do that in front of people!  He also gave me a hard time at a doctors office. By that point I told him to quit being a prude and I'm not going to feed my child in shame! If I ever have another baby I will be more comfortable doing it in public among other things I will do differently. 
    BigboobsmcgeekaylerjeanSynnovus
  • Don't be anxious! Do your thing. I envy the women who BF in public without any hesitation.
    NurseRieger
  • It took me a while to get comfortable BFing in public. In the beginning I used bottles while out mostly, and used a cover when we didn't bring bottles. Once we got the hang of things though I felt less awkward about it and now have done it just about everywhere with no cover.
  • I was nervous about at first, but now I BF in public without a cover frequently. I usually wear two shirts so I can pull one up and pull one down so my whole boob isn't exposed.  If I don't wear two shirts, I'll drape a blanket over my shoulder so the top of my boob is covered, but baby's head is still exposed and I can see her latch. I have really big boobs, so I'd feel self-conscious whipping my whole boob out. I've never so much as gotten a funny look, I doubt many people even realize I'm nursing.  I used a cover at first, and it was to difficult to get LO to latch under there, so I gave it up, it is so much easier without!
  • With DD1, I breastfed with a cover, but I had a shield so it tended to be fairly awkward.  DS now I breastfeed anywhere he needs to eat without a cover.  I will either find a chair or a spot on the floor by a wall.  Somewhere out of the way, but not necessarily hidden.  I do where a nursing tank as well as at least one shirt on top so both my top and my bottom are covered, but he is still visible.  Usually everyone just goes about their business, occasionally I will get positive comments while he is eating.  For both kids I can't think of a time that anyone commented negatively, although that doesn't mean there aren't people out that would...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I layer a loose shirt over a tank top, pull tank down and shirt up to latch then drape the shirt over bebe's head so you can't see anything. I usually will turn around or walk away (if I'm with a group of people) while she latches so I'm not flashing anyone, but after that I'm good. Everyone always thinks she's sleeping, I've had people even touch her head before, not realizing she's eating. I'm waiting for someone to say something rude about me feeding her so I can unleash on them ;-) but so far no one has given me the opportunity
  • edited March 2016
    I was nervous about at first, but now I BF in public without a cover frequently. I usually wear two shirts so I can pull one up and pull one down so my whole boob isn't exposed.  If I don't wear two shirts, I'll drape a blanket over my shoulder so the top of my boob is covered, but baby's head is still exposed and I can see her latch. I have really big boobs, so I'd feel self-conscious whipping my whole boob out. I've never so much as gotten a funny look, I doubt many people even realize I'm nursing.  I used a cover at first, and it was to difficult to get LO to latch under there, so I gave it up, it is so much easier without!
    This. My LO refuses a cover and I don't blame her. So I do the double shirt too. Plus I can tuck the tank top into my now awkwardly fitting pants, no more crack attack!

Edited for spelling.