July 2015 Moms

Currently Crying It Out.....

So we are going on 48 minutes of crying baby. I feel horrible about it, but he just won't sleep in his crib. We have had just about 7 months of him sleeping in bed with me. And even during the day all naps are in my arms. I am just at my breaking point and need my space! Which could also be why I feel so horrible about making him cry, it's for selfish reasons! Anyone care to share their success stories for encouragement?

Re: Currently Crying It Out.....

• Eeek...my LO rarely sleeps in her crib. She did last week then stopped, she has me so confused! She did also when 4 and 5 months then stopped! So back in our bed she is. I'm currently reading The No Cry Sleep Solution for advice on how to get her in her crib. They have techniques/options that we're going to try...I'll post if they work. I just can't do cio - not for us, but best of luck! 
  • I recommend slowly transitioning :) it might be traumatizing for him to be sleepif with you guys and used to being with you guys and then all of a sudden he is alone. Good luck! I'm sure it is hard :/ 
  • Loading the player...
  • n3na94n3na94 member
    edited February 2016
    I agree, slowly transition might be easier. Like any process it takes time. Like the previous post said cio is not for us but hang in there mama, it will come the day when our little ones become independent and eventually they will want to sleep in their crib. My friend's daighyer used to sleep with her for so long and out of nowhere one day she just fell asleep in her crib. Keep us updated and let us know! Good luck mama and you're doing great!! Just hang in there! 
  • https://www.ahaparenting.com/Ages-stages/babies/teaching-your-baby-to-put-himself-to-sleep

You may want to read this.  I found it way easier to start with naps instead of bed time.  Get him used to the crib during day instead of night may help.  Good luck mama! 
  • We started this 2 nights ago. The first night took 35 minutes and she woke once in the night but went straight back to sleep. Last night took 10 minutes and slept right through with just a few murmurs here and there. Good luck x
  • I also recommend starting with naps to get him used to it. That worked well for us
  • I would try getting him used to his crib during naps.  Make the room as dark as possible, maybe use a fan for white noise.  A slow transition might be best.  CIO isn't for me but once we move into our house, I'm putting him in the crib for naps.  I'm pretty sure he won't be napping long if at all the first few days but he's currently using me as a human pacifier for nap and sometimes at night and I want to break the habit.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• I hope it got better for you! Just to chime in with a word of support we did the controlled crying to get our son to sleep in his crib and it's gone very well. DS was 5.5 months old and needed to be attached to my nipple in order to fall and stay asleep, meaning I nursed him to sleep, had to go to bed when he did (at that point he was sleeping in bed with me) and give him by boob when he demanded it, basically every hour. I just could not keep going that way. Making the decision to sleep train was confusing and agonizing and the first night of it was very stressful. He cried, I cried, I had a beer, called my mom, put on head phones, went outside with our dog. And then he stopped and slept and was fine. I kept reminding myself that he was just mad, he wasn't hurt or hungry or sick, he had to figure out something new and was frustrated. I will also say that I really wanted to do something gradual and avoid crying but I found that that resulted in me sending him mixed messages and just responding differently every time he cried which was frustrating to both of us. So we read the books, the blogs, the comments, talked about what we were comfortable with and then went for it and by night 3 he was just calmly falling asleep when we put him in his crib and only wakes one time to eat between 8pm and 7am. Baby's are smart and adaptable and you deserve to get some sleep. Good luck!
  • I can't stand letting him cry it out, I start crying too after a little bit. It's not for every one, that's for sure. What I do to get my son in his crib in his own room (h3 just turned 7 months 8 days ago) is a warm bottle in a rocking chair, put him against me on my chest and bump him and he drifts asleep on me then I put him in his crib. At one point I had him going to sleep in his own in his basinett when he was about 3 MI that but it didn't stick could be cause we moved to a new house. He doesn't fall asleep in his crib right now but he will sleep in it for naps and bad and he comes to bed with hubby and me when he's teething and having a rough time but he will still go in his crib if I rock him 5o sleep.
  • I at first was against controlled crying but after 3 months of having to re-settle my baby 10 times a night I had enough and done it. Night 3 was the worse (which was 30minutes crying) since then it has been 4 nights which every night he has fallen asleep by himself after his bedtime routine at 5.30 and wakes once at 4.30 for a bottle and back to sleep until 7.30 - 8. I feel so amazing getting a good nights sleep and when he wakes in the morning I can tell he's refreshed and he too has had a good sleep!
  • gabb223 said:
    I at first was against controlled crying but after 3 months of having to re-settle my baby 10 times a night I had enough and done it. Night 3 was the worse (which was 30minutes crying) since then it has been 4 nights which every night he has fallen asleep by himself after his bedtime routine at 5.30 and wakes once at 4.30 for a bottle and back to sleep until 7.30 - 8. I feel so amazing getting a good nights sleep and when he wakes in the morning I can tell he's refreshed and he too has had a good sleep!
    I'm almost to this point as well. So what is "controlled crying"? How did you do it? Going back in room to sooth/pat back but keep in crib then walk back out? How often? 
  • Hi! I'm a lurker from way back but seeing as my husband and I are going through this with our 7 month old I thought I'd chime in. We also did the controlled crying technique where we would go in every 10 minutes of crying. We wouldn't pick him up or make eye contact but instead would sush him, rub his cheek, kiss his forehead, turn on his soother and leave the room again. It's been about a week now and although he's not completely sleeping through the night (I get up twice to feed him) he's no longer waking every hour. 
  • Last night was our first night of not nursing whenever he woke up.  Slept for 2 hours, woke up and I went in and sat next to the crib.  I rubbed his belly and shushed him but didn't pick him up.  He cried for an hour and 10 minutes before falling asleep.

20 minutes later, he was awake but he just laid there looking around (we have a video monitor) and cried out about 20 minutes later.  At that point, it was four hours between feedings so I changed and nursed him.  Slept 3 hours, I nursed him (my goal was no more often than every 3 hours).  Slept 2 hours and woke up because he pooped.  Changed him and he slept for another 2 hours until morning.  I'm exhausted.

I never left him alone to cry by himself.  He knew I was there soothing him but I still felt terrible.  I hope he gets the idea very quickly.

BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• I 100% support cosleeping, but we are also currently crying it out.  I had the same issues as many of you:  while I thoroughly enjoyed our cuddles, I could no longer allow her to sleep on me and attached to my boob for 15 hours each day.  She's 7.5 months old, and up to this point, I estimate that she has been physically attached to me for all but perhaps 1.5 hours each day (when she plays by herself on the floor).  I hold her *always* (or she cries).

I love her!!!  It is the hardest thing in the world to hear her cry.  But at this point, I know that I will healthier if I can do some simple things:  eat meals, brush my teeth before bed, take showers, have a conversation with my husband that isn't conducted in hand gestures and frantic whispers and text messages because there is a 20-lb cabbage wedged between us asleep.

Thank you to those of you who shared success stories.  I needed to hear those today.

We started last night.  She cried for 20 minutes before sleeping.  She woke up four times (which is fewer times than usual) and I nursed her twice (3am & 7am).  We intended to use the Ferber method and check on her periodically, but we quickly realized that when we went in to check, it aggravated her and she was much more distraught.  Contrary to what you're 'supposed' to do, we contented with CIO for her naps today.  She has cried less and less each time, and she napped for two hours longer than normal.

For those of you whose babies sleep alone (either in a bassinet or a crib):  Do you use baby blankets?  Sleep sacks?  

Best of luck and keep us updated, Mommas!
  • I put LO in a fleece sleep sack over his footed PJs. I usually leave it on when I bring him in our bed because I don't want our sheets and blankets getting pulled over him.  It's about 66F in the house at night.

BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• Feed him 
  • mengshan said:
    Feed him 
    How is that a helpful response?  I'm sure we all know when our babies are hungry. 

BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• I put LO in a fleece sleep sack over his footed PJs. I usually leave it on when I bring him in our bed because I don't want our sheets and blankets getting pulled over him.  It's about 66F in the house at night.
    I love footed pjs! They are th best and our babies look so adorable in them! :blush: 
  • I 100% support cosleeping, but we are also currently crying it out.  I had the same issues as many of you:  while I thoroughly enjoyed our cuddles, I could no longer allow her to sleep on me and attached to my boob for 15 hours each day.  She's 7.5 months old, and up to this point, I estimate that she has been physically attached to me for all but perhaps 1.5 hours each day (when she plays by herself on the floor).  I hold her *always* (or she cries).

I love her!!!  It is the hardest thing in the world to hear her cry.  But at this point, I know that I will healthier if I can do some simple things:  eat meals, brush my teeth before bed, take showers, have a conversation with my husband that isn't conducted in hand gestures and frantic whispers and text messages because there is a 20-lb cabbage wedged between us asleep.

Thank you to those of you who shared success stories.  I needed to hear those today.

We started last night.  She cried for 20 minutes before sleeping.  She woke up four times (which is fewer times than usual) and I nursed her twice (3am & 7am).  We intended to use the Ferber method and check on her periodically, but we quickly realized that when we went in to check, it aggravated her and she was much more distraught.  Contrary to what you're 'supposed' to do, we contented with CIO for her naps today.  She has cried less and less each time, and she napped for two hours longer than normal.

For those of you whose babies sleep alone (either in a bassinet or a crib):  Do you use baby blankets?  Sleep sacks?  

Best of luck and keep us updated, Mommas!
    We started the transition from cosleeping to crib about two weeks ago after LO fell off the bed. I did not use CIO though there were times I was very tempted to. 

I put a mattress on the floor of her nursery. I started a bedtime routine and I absolutely stuck with it no matter what (NOT a schedule, but a routine). She'd have dinner, a bath, some play time in her diaper then story time in the living room. Then I'd make her a bottle (we FF so I'm not sure how different the transition for you would be). I'd take her to the rocking chair in the nursery, leave the lights off, turn on her noise machine, then give her the bottle. I wait anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes after she's finished her bottle and fallen asleep before putting her down in the crib. Sometimes it takes a couple attempts of picking her up, bouncing/walking around the room, putting her back down. Once she's down, I tuck a blanket between the mattress and the bars of the crib (she hates sleep sacks) and gently place it over her, trying not to wake her up. I'd sleep on the mattress, getting up to par her when she needed it. If she wakes up, then I just bring her to the mattress with me. 

After a week of that, I moved the mattress into my bedroom. Still putting her down initially in her crib, following our routine, and now sleeping in seperate rooms. She's only spent two nights in her crib, but I feel like it's huge progress from where we were at strictly  Cosleeping. I know I've made some progress because she knows what to expect once we've made it to her nursery in the dark. 

So... I give her a blanket. As safely as I can. 

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @micshi  we are not crying it out either we can't handle it. I bothers hubby as much as it bothers me we have tried but don't like it. We had almost the same routine worked good for us too I prefer the rocking to sleep, we breast and formula feed I can't quite keel up so he got last boob after dinner play time then story the bottle in rocking chair. He's back in our room now and mostly sleeps in the crib. We weren't sleeping as good with him in his own room always wing up checking on him. He did great though lol.