TTC After a Loss

Natural Remedies for cough and congestion

Hey guys - I'm pretty sure I am dying (not really, of course, but I feel like death warmed over). I came down with some mild congestion about a week ago, and by Friday was at the clinic to be tested for strep. Strep test was negative and NP said it's a virus that's going around town. I felt much better Sunday, a little crappy yesterday, but today I'm back to feeling like I was hit by a train. All the crud has moved into my chest, and I have a pretty bad cough. I'm familiar with the typical sinus infection (which I'm like 90% sure this is), but since I'm in the TWW (8 DPO) and I don't have a fever, I really am trying to stay away from medication. I've given myself until tomorrow night to feel better, or I go back to the doctor Thursday AM and demand some (safe) antibiotics. 

All of this gross-ness to ask, does anyone know of natural remedies I could try for this stuff? I've been googling around, but it's not an area I am well versed in. So far, I've tried the garlic drink, nettie pot, and essential oil steams - all of which helped with congestion/sore throat, but not so much with the chest congestion. As long as it's a safe option, I'll try anything... 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

Re: Natural Remedies for cough and congestion

• Tumeric is supposed to be helpful - as is a ginger tea (steep ginger in hot water, add a bit of fresh lemon). I don't know if they're considered safe - but I've also heard marshmallow root/bark and/or slippery elm are beneficial. Keep in mind the amount you'd get in a tea is pretty low - they're not likely to be on a "safe" list though - most teas aren't...
    ---TW BFP and MC mentioned - scroll down past the Lilo and Stitch gif to avoid ---

Me: 33 & DH: 33
    Married: 07/2006
    TTC: 10/2015
    BFP #1: 11/2015, MC 12/2015 (7 weeks)
    BFP #2: 06/2016, EDD 2/15/2017

Pregnancy Ticker

• edited February 2016
    About 10 almonds will nix sinus pressure or headaches within a few minutes. They also help with congestion a bit... but nowhere near what a spray of Afrin will clear if you KWIM.
  • Loading the player...
  • That sucks. I just can't think of anything topical that would be safe now. I work in a school so I am always getting sniffles. I put some four thieves oil blend in an oil burner last time I was unwell.  Four thieves always cleared my chest congestion when I applied it directly to my chest in a carrier oil prior to ttc. Hth 
  • Thanks ladies! All helpful avenues to look down! 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker